Be Like (Vector) Mike

cranebump

This is Vector Mike...

image.png.79eb51333200807a591cd89bfcdaa686.png

It looks like he has no face, but trust me - he does. And it's smiling.

This is Vector Mike's second contact, Susan Davies.

image.png.5d353adb1e10dd9f9e0e7af860789ca7.png

Susan is rudely ignoring Vector Mike, probably because he's standing there waving at you and not asking her if she's got any work. She's used to lame lowbies like Mike appearing out of nowhere, asking for something to do.

Vector Mike is a WHOLE LEVEL 2! He just worked with a bunch of nice policemen, some not so nice contaminated, then a cool dude in tights named Coyote (Awoooooooo!). Mike stopped an Outbreak! And now, he's off to bigger and better things. Like a lack of $$, slow advancement, a lot of running, and incredible endurance issues. Why? Because Cranebump likes to do stupid things. And this is yet another one of them.

Soooo, in plain English: was reading crimson's texts about just coming back, and running into issues that have long since passed, like starting money, free cool powers, super fast levelling on the DFB train, and all that jazz. Got me to thinking, "You know, you somehow played without those things and managed. it was painful, but gdit, you MANAGED."

"Think you could do it again?"

Well, of COURSE I can, but the question is, why would I WANT to. 

I already told you: Cranebump likes to do dumb things. Or rather, masochistic things. Sometimes. Mainly when no one's looking (or no more than 3), but this time this time, we're going public.

So, the deal is this: I'm gonna run this poor lil Archery/Ninja Training toon without giving him any seed $$. Like I'm fresh out the box back in the days of yore, and dragging myself through the game. I am allowing myself to grab athletic run and the jump pack, mainly because my last account on live had Ninja Run and Jump Pack (and I feel stupid using Ninka Run, even if I AM playing a pseudo-ninja). I'll pick up any explore badges I can remember, and collect any merits that go with them (which means I'll grab the AP ones and, if I get lucky enough to get an Ouro [I won't ask for one, but I will dive in when I see one [yeah, yeah...at the wrong level]). But I won't use zone transporter, and I won't bother with a base (because bases were expensive when you were a lone wolf back then).

So, it's "sorta" old school.  The main thing is no XP buff and using only what I can get on the drop. I'll sell salvage, but will hoard the merits for...well, I'll think of something appropriate.

Not sure if anyone else wants to Be Like Mike, but, if you do, hit me up. I'm usually on Friday mornings, and (some) Monday evenings (like tonight). I'm running Mike on Excel, so if I do any updates, I'll likely post them there, rather than muck up General Discussion again (like now...with this novel...).

Visualize Whirled Peas,

Crane

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 4
  • Thumbs Up 3

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

I also bit the bullet on a "stoopid" project a couple hours ago.  I have a placeholder name.  I might change it.  The concept is golden.

My poor character.  Why do I torture them?  So, This guy is a brain in a jar.  More correctly he is brain in a #4 General Products Starship Hull (Larry Niven reference) Which is on top of a robot body.  He is actually a cloned brain. The Puppeteers figured out it was better to use humans to discover and explore things. But it is a very dangerous place.  So they used a cloned brain and the robot body is self repairing.  You see, the puppeteers are concerned about the space time dimensional anomalies surrounding Paragon Praetoria and points east.  So they have sent this probe, er agent, to discover EVERYTHING.   

My poor character knows none of this.  He thinks he signed a contract to be a scout and got screwed by not reading the fine print.  The contract is right there in the on board computer.  When he finishes his task he gets put back in his body.  (...good luck there...)

The Task.  Complete every contact in the game.  every mission.  Red/Blue/Gold/Incarnate.  Stop Exp and side switch (gold is all in ouro)  This way the data will all be available to the people he is working for. (The party of the First Part" in the contract.

AR/Dev Blaster.  Because they finally made AR decent. (and the onboard quantum powerplant and replicator can produce infinite ammo....)

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I'm back to doing a variation of that same stoopid project again too!  I was doing my own 'do all the missions at level' attempt before I disappeared and was mostly without internet access for like a year, but my previous attempt was built on an even more stoopider character concept of a toggle proc controller.  I wanted to do all of my damage with toggle auras.  It worked, more or less, but it was soooo slow.  I gave up on it before getting to level 20.

Now I'm going with a Soldier of Arachnos, because I decided that if I'm doing all of the content, I might as well have an exclusive epic arc thrown in.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, ranagrande said:

I'm back to doing a variation of that same stoopid project again too!  I was doing my own 'do all the missions at level' attempt before I disappeared and was mostly without internet access for like a year, but my previous attempt was built on an even more stoopider character concept of a toggle proc controller.  I wanted to do all of my damage with toggle auras.  It worked, more or less, but it was soooo slow.  I gave up on it before getting to level 20.

Now I'm going with a Soldier of Arachnos, because I decided that if I'm doing all of the content, I might as well have an exclusive epic arc thrown in.

I honestly do not know how you made it to 20.  My best attempt was a Dark Invul Brute who soloed every contact that could not be done at 50.  But that still leaves all 35-50,40-50 and 45-50 plus 50 stuff.  This AR Dev Blaster should at least kill faster.  That will be a comfort on the kill alls. 

11 hours ago, cranebump said:

if I get lucky enough to get an Ouro [I won't ask for one, but I will dive in when I see one

Go through the portal to Recluse's Victory in City Hall (Tech wing downstairs) and it'll give you the Oro portal. Way easier than bumming one off someone or keeping an eye out for one.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

40 minutes ago, Skyhawke said:

Go through the portal to Recluse's Victory in City Hall (Tech wing downstairs) and it'll give you the Oro portal. Way easier than bumming one off someone or keeping an eye out for one.

Thanks! I didn’t know that.  I’ll keep that in mind next time. I happened to be running through AP last night and found a portal sitting there near City Hall. But I think I might visit RV, just to check this out. 

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

1 hour ago, twozerofoxtrot said:

Technically if you go 2 picks deep into the Teleport pool you'd have unlocked Long Range Teleport in the beforetimes. 

Can always rationalize using it after picking those up. 😏 

You used to have to take it as a power pick though right?   I would say you need the two picks in Teleport Pool and then take something like Team Teleport as a stand-in for LRT.  Then you can use the prestige LRT.

*bangs gavel*

48 minutes ago, ZemX said:

You used to have to take it as a power pick though right?   I would say you need the two picks in Teleport Pool and then take something like Team Teleport as a stand-in for LRT.  Then you can use the prestige LRT.

*bangs gavel*

I might just rationalize everything with you are an old man, and deserve to take all the shortcuts you can.:-)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cranebump said:

Thanks! I didn’t know that.  I’ll keep that in mind next time. I happened to be running through AP last night and found a portal sitting there near City Hall. But I think I might visit RV, just to check this out. 

There is an Ouro up in AP 25% time without asking.  Which means that a coffee break under the guy with one huge ball near guarantees seeing one.  

16 minutes ago, cranebump said:

I might just rationalize everything with you are an old man, and deserve to take all the shortcuts you can.🙂

Kidding aside... I would.  Travel time isn't any sort of meaningful game balance thing.  It just takes up your time.  The other stuff is the meat and potatoes of an old-school run.  I tried this a while back for a little bit.  I got into the 20s as I recall.  That was enough.

41 minutes ago, Snarky said:

There is an Ouro up in AP 25% time without asking.  Which means that a coffee break under the guy with one huge ball near guarantees seeing one.  

All this time...I had no idea Atlas was Lance Armstrong.

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, ZemX said:

Kidding aside... I would.  Travel time isn't any sort of meaningful game balance thing.  It just takes up your time.  The other stuff is the meat and potatoes of an old-school run.  I tried this a while back for a little bit.  I got into the 20s as I recall.  That was enough.

Time is actually one thing I sorta got. Summer break for us is the month of July. I'll need a lot of nonsense to occupy my time (and provide me excuses not to continue working on that gd manuscript).

• Haha 1