What's the very best Kin/? I can make?

00Troy00

Yes, I get that the majority opinion says he should be a corruptor, but I want a toon that can exemp down as low as possible and still over Speed Boost or Fulcrum shift (yes , I get that FS comes later, but you get the point).

Thanks all!

First of all, you need to define what you mean by very best. Second, you need to figure out what makes a defender a better pick over a Corr. Finally, Corrs get FS at 30 now. This means in reality they have it at 24 when exempt. This means any Yin level TF and above a Corr will have it. Defenders will have it for Synapse. For SB, a Corr would be missing it on Posi 1, so yeah.

The advantage for a Corr is simply in the rain/DoT powers. Also, the debuff aspect is going to be better for a Defender. For me I would look at three sets as a starting point. Sonic due to the -Res, Beam due to some -Res and -Regen, and Rad due to the -Def since Kins need to hit. There are some others ones which are nice mind you. DP plays well in melee where Kins tend to live anyway. Elec can do some sapping and Transference added in. If I absolutely had to pick one, Kin/sonic.

• Confused 1

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

"Downtime is for mortals."

I think a good defender also blasts, so to that end, you'll want to leverage the increased debuff effect that defenders benefit from.  That, and wanting good overall utility, I'd suggest ice blast, electrical blast, or sonic attack.  All 3 sets have their pros and cons, but offer a lot of utility, even if you don't take all of the attacks.

I have a 50 kin/elec, and I like how the end drain pairs with the end drain kin already does.  Voltaic sentinel is also nice as it'll allow you to focus on buffing/debuffing/healing while still contributing to DPS.  The shock effect is also a nice bonus.  You also have a nice hold, some good AoE, and a ranged nuke, not to mention an aim-like power that also boosts your end modification for a short time.

I also have a 50 kin/sonic, and the biggest benefit is that you debuff enemy damage resistance while also boosting your teammates' damage.  Siren's song is also great while solo, to put the weaker enemies to sleep, so you can focus on the few stronger ones that are still awake.  Add a kb->kd IO into shockwave, and you have a very effective cone that plants enemies on their asses.

I don't have a 50 kin/ice, but I do have a 50 ice blaster.  It's basically the top blast set for control, IMHO.  On a defender, those slows will be even greater.  The 2 single-target holds can quickly take a boss out of a fight, and ice storm + blizzard make for a great set of damage patches/location-based AoEs.

In the end, it really comes down to just how much you want to invest in your secondary and how comfortable you are with multitasking...

Edited by biostem

6 hours ago, Without_Pause said:

The advantage for a Corr is simply in the rain/DoT powers

No, it's the higher damage cap corruptors get too, along with higher base damage values. Fulc can cap easily in most cases anyway.

However Vs AVs it can be harder to cap so Defender version could be better for AV fights.

For a defender I'd go either Sonic, for the debuffage but cones are a bit fiddly with Kin, or PBAoE strong sets like Elec or Rad. Elec is good because you can be a sapper (although sapping isn't great in CoH). 

• Like 1

Corruptor is often considered the obvious choice. However, the higher damage cap is normally only relevant on large crowds - and the window between "I overkill everything" and "I barely make a dent" as you adjust the difficulty slider is sufficiently narrow that I don't find optimizing for this all that useful. The advantage with Defenders is that you buff/debuff AV/GM better (although you'll still do less damage overall due to Scourge) and your defenses are significantly easier to manage.

For power sets, I think Dual Pistols tends to hit the sweet spot. You've got -resist debuffing, a low recharge ultimate and you can operate effectively at any range.

• Like 1

I think Ice is too DoT heavy to go with a Defender when picking a Kin. I think Ice paired with other primaries are much better pairings if you want the better buff/debuff numbers of a Defender.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute. 8. Emma Strange: Ill/dark. 9. Nothing But Flowers: Plant/storm Controller. 10. Obsidian Smoke: Fire/dark Corr. 

Kin/elec....

+4/8 - BU+alpha+1 more attack... All aoe, all MOBs hit zero endurance and the attack chain keeps them there. Most die quickly, the rest stare at me. Bosses from most groups are neutered.

Elec spawns shock damage.

Defenses almost all well over cap.

Not saying elec is the most potent in dumping out damage,  it you want upper middle tier damage, alpha strike leading in every group, carry the team because of the safety of elec...

Kid Kinetic is happy to come out andd play. Don't underestimate this combo and end sap. Think hero version of Malta sapper. On bosses even.

Just know there are AVs which will go, "Oh, that tickles" when it comes to end drain.

Edited by Without_Pause

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

49 minutes ago, Without_Pause said:

Just know there are AVs which will go, "Oh, that tickles" when it comes to end drain.

For sure! It's meaningless on AVs and GMs, but alas, I guess that would be a bit too OP if one toon could neuter an AV with a single mechanic 😄