Freeze Ray / BFR - do they not benefit from Hold Duration IO's?

Story Archer

5 minutes ago, Procellus said:

Go to the effects tab. Freeze Ray should be slotted for damage. BFR I can see going either way (I've done both depending on the character.)

Go to the effects tab for..?

I've got them both six-slotted with Lockdown. On the Info tab FR still shows an unaugmented 8s and BFR shows an unaugmented 18s. On the Effects tab it shows them both at 18.59s.

Just now, arcane said:

Don’t you dare slot Freeze Ray for hold duration though. That’s blasphemy.

lol - I tend towards high defense builds for my ranged types and I love that AoE & Ranged defense you get from Lockdown, plus potentially stacking higher Mag Holds for hard targets. It's just habit though - first time with an Ice/Cold Corruptor.

I skipped BFR and slotted Freeze Ray for damage and still have more than 50% Ranged Defense (I was trying to reach incarnate soft cap, and could have, but at too great a cost).  I'm getting more than 28% of that from Arctic Fog, Weave, Maneuvers, and the two uniques.  Freeze Ray is a terrific attack, and recharges super fast,  enough to stack holds even without Lockdown.  The increased damage is significant.  My single target attack chain is Freeze Ray, BIB, Ice Bolt.  Not sure if that's optimal, but single target feels fast and powerful.  If there's opportunity to hit more than one target, I sub in Frost Breath instead of Ice Bolt.  

I can see making a second build with stacking holds for...say Hami raids or LGTF.  In most cases though, I think you're better off slotting it for damage.  Only an opinion though.  You're still gonna be effective on teams regardless.  

20 hours ago, Story Archer said:

I've got them both six-slotted with Lockdown. On the Info tab FR still shows an unaugmented 8s and BFR shows an unaugmented 18s. On the Effects tab it shows them both at 18.59s.

The 18 seconds Mids is showing you on the Info tab is the duration of the slow effect. The base hold duration is 9.536 sec, so 18.59 seconds on the Effects tab reflects ED max enhancement. That said, while BFR doesn't have great DPA it's still the most damaging power in the set and should be slotted for damage. You don't need hold duration if they're dead.

https://cod.uberguy.net/html/power.html?power=corruptor_ranged.ice_blast.bitter_freeze_ray&at=corruptor

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

• 1 month later
On 9/23/2023 at 12:58 AM, Ignatz the Insane said:

I skipped BFR 

Username checks out.  (j/k)

But nah, BFR is especially nice on a Corruptor because once you get into Scourge country, it hits like an example of something extremely devestating drawn from contemporary popular culture that everyone should instantly recognize and visualize the results within the context of the subject at hand.

• Haha 2

He doesn't HAVE an ass.  That's one of the things we're transplanting!