-Dam & -Res

Panache

I have a vague recollection of a thread on the Live forums that spelled out how these two interact, but I haven't retained it. If I recall correctly: Damage Resistance resists -Damage? So -Resistance, in a way, multiples -Damage?

As an example exercise, I've got this Ice/Kin Tanker that I was planning to go /Soul (for Darkest Night) and Paralytic Interface (4-stacking 5% -Dams). With the Fury of the Gladiator proc the only natively available -res, would it actually make more sense to go Reactive Interface? Does Weaken Resolve have a role to play here?

damage debuffs and damage resistance debuffs are two different things.  Damage resistance resists damage resistance debuffs:  if you have 50% smashing resistance, and you get hit with a 10% damage resistance debuff, that 10% is 50% resisted so you get hit with -5% smashing resistance for 45% smashing resistance.  if you have 25% cold resistance then you get hit with -7.5% cold resistance for 18.75% cold resistance.

I do not think -damage buffs are resistable.

Who run Bartertown?

10 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

Damage resistance resists damage resistance debuffs

Also.. important caveat (and just to make this sentence even more clumsy) ... "damage resistance resists resistible damage resistance debuffs!"  There are some unresistible damage resistance debufffs.  Almost any NPC with a Tar Patch and most who have Enervating Field fall into this category.  If you are a resist Tank and you find your health dropping precipitously in a Manticore TF, this is why.  Some of those PP Elites have Enervating Field.  Run away to drop the toggle.

13 minutes ago, Yomo Kimyata said:

I do not think -damage buffs are resistable.

According to several scholarly works here... damage debuffs ARE resisted by damage resistance as well.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZemX said:

Also.. important caveat (and just to make this sentence even more clumsy) ... "damage resistance resists resistible damage resistance debuffs!"  There are some unresistible damage resistance debufffs.  Almost any NPC with a Tar Patch and most who have Enervating Field fall into this category.  If you are a resist Tank and you find your health dropping precipitously in a Manticore TF, this is why.  Some of those PP Elites have Enervating Field.  Run away to drop the toggle.

According to several scholarly works here... damage debuffs ARE resisted by damage resistance as well.  

Woo, thank you! This is the good stuff

53 minutes ago, Frosticus said:

Ya, as a damage debuffer, when an AV hits unstoppable it lives up to the name.

That's what I always snickered at when I ran my Psi/EM Blaster on an ITF — when the Praefecti Castrorum, Minotaurs, and Cyclopes hit Unstoppable, and everyone else's damage numbers dropped into single digits, and I'm still doing three-digit attacks. I just have to remember to keep the Tankers and Scrappers between them and me...

Edited by srmalloy
Corrected grammar
  • Like 1

That Poison Guide was super detailed and informative and I am now partially blind.  Curse you Poison.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)