CoH; A Missing Piece

First of all let me thank you all for bringing this wonderful game back to us! I missed it so much while it was gone that I would have dreams of jumping over Atlas Park!

I am over joyed that it has returned!

I dove right in and haven’t looked back. I’ve made a zillion characters and quickly remembered why I love this game.

I also quickly found a hole that plagued me when the game was live.

My issue is finding a group doing something meaningful within the time frame I have available to play.  I’m a hands on dad with a full time job. I get an hour in the evening maybe and something like a TF that has the more substantive rewards is just out of range based on how much time I have available.

I still street sweep, do doors and tips with pick up teams but the real meaty stuff is off the table for me.

Then Home Coming hit and I discovered Death From Below. It’s brilliant. I don’t even care about the XP nerf that was applied to it. Being able to run from 1-20 in a few hours was nice but really the best part was being in a focused content based mission that I could get quickly and finish in a reasonable time.

Now after lv 20 it isn’t so viable but still fun and I do them anyway...and frankly..I want more!

I think what CoH would really benefit from is a a suite of quick, compact repeatable missions just like DFB. Maybe you have one for every 10-20 levels with room to over lap. I don’t even care what the rewards are; a few merits, slightly enhanced XP, better salvage, etc. Its the ease of getting a level appropriate task in a central location that I can do as many times as I want in the time I have available that appeals to me. If the popularity of DFB is any indication people would be all over such content!

First of all let me thank you all for bringing this wonderful game back to us! I missed it so much while it was gone that I would have dreams of jumping over Atlas Park!

I am over joyed that it has returned!

I dove right in and haven’t looked back. I’ve made a zillion characters and quickly remembered why I love this game.

I also quickly found a hole that plagued me when the game was live.

My issue is finding a group doing something meaningful within the time frame I have available to play.  I’m a hands on dad with a full time job. I get an hour in the evening maybe and something like a TF that has the more substantive rewards is just out of range based on how much time I have available.

I still street sweep, do doors and tips with pick up teams but the real meaty stuff is off the table for me.

Then Home Coming hit and I discovered Death From Below. It’s brilliant. I don’t even care about the XP nerf that was applied to it. Being able to run from 1-20 in a few hours was nice but really the best part was being in a focused content based mission that I could get quickly and finish in a reasonable time.

Now after lv 20 it isn’t so viable but still fun and I do them anyway...and frankly..I want more!

I think what CoH would really benefit from is a a suite of quick, compact repeatable missions just like DFB. Maybe you have one for every 10-20 levels with room to over lap. I don’t even care what the rewards are; a few merits, slightly enhanced XP, better salvage, etc. Its the ease of getting a level appropriate task in a central location that I can do as many times as I want in the time I have available that appeals to me. If the popularity of DFB is any indication people would be all over such content!

Sounds great, just assure that the xp is identical to radio missions.

There is the Drowning in Blood Trial, lvl 15+.  It runs very similar to DFB, even requires the LFG teleporter to activate it...

Granted, that's just lvl 15+, but if you do DFB to lvl 20, you can then turn around and do DiB after that for a few runs...

By that point you can be pretty close to lvl 30...then radio missions or run story arcs even, because honestly, while there is a story line, they are still for the most part just variations on a theme...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

My issue is finding a group doing something meaningful within the time frame I have available to play.

I've created a Global chat channel for exactly your sort of player: Temporary Powers.  Use the command /chat_join Temporary Powers to join it.

Right now there's not a lot of people on it, but in time that will change.  :)

I’m a hands on dad with a full time job. I get an hour in the evening maybe and something like a TF that has the more substantive rewards is just out of range based on how much time I have available.

TFs don't have to be done in one sitting.  Back before NCSoft tried to kill the game, I was in groups that scheduled TFs for several nights in a row, an hour or so each session.  :)

And, with enough people joining my channel, it should be possible to set something like that up ... :)

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

I’m thinking something grander then a radio mission but less time consuming than a Task Force. It could be as simple as a chain of inter connected radio missions or a few new TF with appropriately adjusted rewards to coincide with a more reasonable completion time. Having it spawn in a consistent location and be repeatable are pluses as well.

All the reasons that DFB is more popular than radio missions is why we need more instances like DFB. 

I’m thinking something grander then a radio mission but less time consuming than a Task Force. It could be as simple as a chain of inter connected radio missions or a few new TF with appropriately adjusted rewards to coincide with a more reasonable completion time. Having it spawn in a consistent location and be repeatable are pluses as well.

All the reasons that DFB is more popular than radio missions is why we need more instances like DFB.

Many Task Forces can be done in an hour or less.  There are some notable exceptions, but even disorganized ITFs (as one example) rarely take much more than that.

That being said, it sounds like Trials and Flashback arcs are exactly what you're looking for.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Erm, the only reason dfb is popular at all is the xp. It's completely shallow and unengsging, due to the fact it's lvl 1-15 content.

You could also run story arcs over several evenings to grab a bunch of merits at the end. Most of the time it takes ~5 minutes to get a couple of teammates if you toss a "LFM for lvl x missions" and then run your own story arc.

Torchbearer:

Sunsinger - Fire/Time Corruptor

Cursebreaker - TW/Elec Brute

Coldheart - Ill/Cold Controller

Mythoclast - Rad/SD Scrapper

Give a man a build export and you feed him for a day, teach him to build and he's fed for a lifetime.