Computer Buying - late 2023

Techwright

It's the 2023 holiday buying season (at least in the USA), and as a desktop tech, I'm getting asked again as to which brands of laptops and desktop PCs to consider or avoid purchasing.  I'm also being asked for details to consider when weighing options. 

I have my thoughts on this, and have doled them out to some already, but I know a lot of folks in the forums are techs or power users, and I'd like to ask for feedback from you.  Maybe you've seen or considered something I have not, and I can both learn something new and add that to recommendations for shopping friends.

Also, I know little of non-iPad tablet PCs, they just don't come up in my work, so those with advice in that field are invited to contribute.

One last note, those that ask me are usually not seeking a gaming computer, so if you could clarify gaming choices vs. standard use choices, that'd be great!

If you're good with computers, buying something used, (but in good condition), can save you a ton of money.  Even using an expensive gaming laptop, though, I've found the experience to be somewhat lacking, and prefer gaming on a desktop.  Of course, depending upon your available space or other extenuating circumstances, if a laptop is your only choice, then you do what you gotta.  My current go-to is off-lease business desktops, (mini- to mid-towers, NOT SFFs), then adding more RAM and/or a graphics card for gaming.  Just be sure to check the available space and power supply output vs the additional power consumption said card will impose!

Not Dell/Alienware.

Laptop wise, I've been fairly happy with my Lenovo Legion for the last... year and a half? Probably get another - though with a larger screen - when it's time to replace it. It'll give pretty reasonable game performance, and it doesn't look "gamery" so it fits in well with a business or school use, too.

Tablet-PC wise, only one I really have any experience with is the Surface Pro foisted on me by work. I hate that thing. Specifically I hate its little "dock" ... thing... you plug into the side with a cable (which gets "am I about to burn myself" hot to the touch just sitting there plugged into the side, and has no strain relief on the cable,) which randomly fritzes out, makes a monitor decide to go pixelated, or forgets what it has attached to it. The Surface itself does weird things with my keyboard - and I've cycled through a few, wired or wireless - occasionally ignoring it or "sticking" randomly. I would never spend my own money on one. (The keyboard, btw, does this both attached to the "dock" and directly to the Surface Pro. Tried multiple KBs.)

Primarily on Everlasting. Squid afficionado. Former creator of Copypastas. General smartalec.

I tried to combine Circle and DE, but all I got were garden variety evil mages.

21 hours ago, Techwright said:

standard use choices, that'd be great!

I've been using the same HP Spectre x360 (15") since early 2018 and it has been solid as a tank and reliable as a Swiss watch the entire time, mostly, see below. Including a great deal of work travel 2018-2020 where I used it often in less than ideal conditions like rainy golf courses on event production jobs, or the time it fell out of its Pelican case at the airport while leaving Africa at the end of a month-long gig there.

I do use it for occasional light gaming (Homecoming, Civ VI, Stellaris), but that it best done with an external monitor that is not 4K. It gets solar-surface hot when running games on the in-built 4K screen. For my previous work it would often run Wirecast/OBS setups or serve as a download station to backup camera cards to travel drives. Dual Thunderbolt was clutch for that.  It can connect to an external GPU via T-Bolt 3, but I never got around to trying that setup.

Keyboard being comfortable for my freakishly long-fingered/large hands was one of the parameters, and the model I have has the nicest laptop keyboard I have ever used. Including a full 10key to the right. Did the "build to order" route on their website - so a bit more expensive than going pre-configured or outlet, but given the durability I feel I definitely got my money's worth.

If I had to do it over again I would skip the "fold over into a tablet" feature: It is a touch too heavy to use like a tablet comfortably, and the pen interface isn't on-par for handwriting with a more modern e-ink device like a Remarkable or similar.

Only issues:

One instance where the automatic screen orientation stopped working due to a bios update that shipped with errors and was immediately fixed with a re-released update without said errors.

I eventually had to replace the battery, I suspect due to the drop in the Monrovia Airport as a year or so after the drop it started to swell on that corner. Easy job and aftermarket batteries are dirt cheap. Considering the fall it took I call this a win. Screen is Corning Gorilla - the way it landed would have shattered a lesser screen. Ditto for the body itself, magnesium alloy. Plastic would have shattered as well.

Edited by InvaderStych
caveat added to opening
  • Thumbs Up 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

8 hours ago, InvaderStych said:

I eventually had to replace the battery, I suspect due to the drop in the Monrovia Airport as a year or so after the drop it started to swell on that corner. Easy job and aftermarket batteries are dirt cheap. Considering the fall it took I call this a win.

I'm not familiar with that model, but we had a problem with HP batteries in work laptops swelling several years back.   Of course, back then, manufacturers courteously let users have a pop-off cover with which to easily swap the battery.  Most nowadays seal the back and you need someone with A+ certification to change it so as not to void warranty.

15 hours ago, Techwright said:

Most nowadays seal the back and you need someone with A+ certification to change it so as not to void warranty.

Yup. My cert was over 20 years ago at this point, but by the time I got around to doing the swap it was out of warranty anyway. 🤣

Pretty much everything has a "not user accessible" battery at this point. I can only think of a couple phones with an old-school battery cover.

Historically I've found HP stuff to be a bit inconsistent. Some of their model lines are ... not great ... while others have been rock solid. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by InvaderStych
thought of something

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Being a Mac fan, my knowledge is somewhat limited - other than the new Metal-chipped Macs are something else compared to their predecessors, and knock seven bells out of the average business or lower-end gaming laptop. (Worth getting a cooling fan pad though).

If you're looking for a tablet that isn't an iPad, the Galaxy range is cute but overpriced, and Google Pixel is more reasonable but tends to age a bit more quickly. If you're planning on upgrading your phone/contract soon, though, a bunch of phone dealers will try and throw one at you at a bargain price in return for your eternal soul customer loyalty. Bargain hard.

If you're a little more adventurous in your Amazon adventures - or your purchase might need to survive less-than-delicate handling (ie: kids - or outdoor use, or anyone who might be a tad too klutzy for a shiny shiny glamour model), I can happily recommend Blackview Rugged devices. Picked up a couple years ago for a friend who works in building and offshore engineering. Decent price, decent looks (if you like black), and most importantly, it's survived everything that's been thrown at it / it's been thrown at. Standard-issue Android interface - takes a little getting used to if you're switching from iPhone, but good stuff.

BTW, when buying Android, especially for kids/elderly relatives: do remember that while Google have finally started doing proper security checks on stuff that goes through the Play Store, it can be bypassed by various sneaky means. Unbox it carefully, turn on all the security settings, consider getting Malwarebytes or similar paranoia reassurance apps, and teach them the drill about scam sites/apps.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

On 11/24/2023 at 9:31 AM, InvaderStych said:

Pretty much everything has a "not user accessible" battery at this point. I can only think of a couple phones with an old-school battery cover.

Historically I've found HP stuff to be a bit inconsistent. Some of their model lines are ... not great ... while others have been rock solid. 🤷‍♂️

Hot-swappable batteries is one of the things I absolutely love about the ruggedized Panasonic CF series of laptops.  I wish everyone went that route.

I've not discussed it yet, but I share your opinion about HP, and @Greycat's opinion about Dell.  Sadly, from what I see, these are the two prominent computers in the American workplace, though I'm happy to see the occasional Lenovo workshop.  Those friends that ask for buying advice, I don't say "don't buy" on these two, I just ask them to consider the two after considering other brands, then I follow up by telling all the war stories I've gone through with the brands.  They usually make a good informed choice after that.

18 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

If you're a little more adventurous in your Amazon adventures - or your purchase might need to survive less-than-delicate handling (ie: kids - or outdoor use, or anyone who might be a tad too klutzy for a shiny shiny glamour model), I can happily recommend Blackview Rugged devices. Picked up a couple years ago for a friend who works in building and offshore engineering. Decent price, decent looks (if you like black), and most importantly, it's survived everything that's been thrown at it / it's been thrown at. Standard-issue Android interface - takes a little getting used to if you're switching from iPhone, but good stuff.

BTW, when buying Android, especially for kids/elderly relatives: do remember that while Google have finally started doing proper security checks on stuff that goes through the Play Store, it can be bypassed by various sneaky means. Unbox it carefully, turn on all the security settings, consider getting Malwarebytes or similar paranoia reassurance apps, and teach them the drill about scam sites/apps.

I was previously unaware of Blackview.  It's now on my radar.  Thank you!

Good advice on the safety stuff.

• 2 months later

If you've got access to a Micro Center, the Ryzen 5 5600X3D/B550 motherboard/16GB DDR4-3200 RAM combo is hard to beat. The CPU is a Micro Center exclusive, and has close to the same gaming chops as it's bigger brother, the 5800X3D.

The combo pairs well with the Intel ARC A750 or A770 GPUs, and drivers continue to improve with each passing week. Just be aware that enabling ReBar in BIOS is pretty much required.