What Does This Mean For You Personally?

Blue Jay

I'm finding mental and inner catharsis through this, bringing me back to a more healthy and whole stage in life, bringing me out of all funks since the game here was brutally stabbed to death. Gone is so much outside of the growing and learning I had going for me, meaning the sense of learning all the while through this game, however good you get. Gone is being only slightly encouraged to interact with other gamers. This game has it all, and that's unfortunate and fortunate both. Gone are the toxic communities. Gone are the microtransactions. Gone are being told how you will approach this game. Gone, for me, of most other forms of pop culture for me. It doesn't take up time in my life, but it does take up my concerns with phiction and phun-nuggets. That is all.

What about you? Where were you then, generally, and where are you now?

No mud no lotus

Badges: Victory: 1345 Homecoming: 1613
Discord: Blue Jay#2187

❤️

Bluejays are fierce!

Yikes. This game has made me even more bitter towards the state of gaming today. The customization is unrivaled other than the lack of face sliders and body sliders (although the body sliders and pre made faces are far better than many MMOs even today).  This game is a reminder of where games were headed during the very early 2000s. The ps2 and xbox original era, if you will. We thought we were heading towards an even greater gaming renaissance. It seemed like virtual worlds were you were immersed big time were about to go in to over drive. It seemed that player choice was going to be a thing that actually mattered. Remember in Morrowind how you could stab people in the back, keep stuff for yourself, set up NPCs for failure, etc? Then one day, games became about muh 60FPS and graphics and PvP online.

I hope to god these servers stay up. This game is amazing. And who knows, maybe Cryptic will allow us to add in even more character face options. Cryptic, thus far, has said they are turning a blind eye to our existence. Bless them. And I dont think Cryptic and PWI are going to throw a bitch fit because Champions Online is so dead there are times where there are less than 300 people online. So this game isnt stealing players away. That game was dead af a looooong time ago.

For me, this is a second chance. I didn't put as much time into this game as I wanted; actually I really took this game for granted. I stayed to myself during it all. I didn't really know what I was missing from this game until it was gone.

Now I have a chance to experience it all over again. I'm going to try to be social and I going to let my imagination fly!

For me, this is a second chance. I didn't put as much time into this game as I wanted; actually I really took this game for granted. I stayed to myself during it all. I didn't really know what I was missing from this game until it was gone.

Now I have a chance to experience it all over again. I'm going to try to be social and I going to let my imagination fly!

Amen. I wish i could go back in time to when WoW didnt have these dumbed down classes that only have 5 offensive skills at level 120 and the lack of talent trees. I wish i could go back to when Rift was new and amazing. I didnt raid or do dungeons. I alt hopped so much i still dont have a class at max on Rift. I would go back and raid raid raid. Get geared and have fun. If these servers stay up and Cryptic doesnt attack us, Im going to play CoH right!

Before Bree server was wiped I remember feeling elated and that I had come home. Relearning old powersets was fun and got me thinking about all the stuff I didn't get to do before shut down. I was grateful for the chance to play COH again.

Now the feeling is more mixed. I appreciate what the volunteers are doing and trying to be patient but sometimes its hard. I feel like the kid in the candy store trying to get a treat that is just out of reach. I just want to play.

My older brother and I use to play this game a lot. He passed away in 2013. It brings back memories of our accomplishments within the game. It was also the first MMO I could get him to play. He did not like EQ, WoW, etc. My daughter actually wanted to play CoH today when she seen me playing. I wish we could help with the hardware or bandwidth issues. I hope it is not some Infamy farmers that are hitting the servers up. I find it hard to believe 1500 que line with two other new servers. But... I can not even get pass the login screen when I attempt to join those servers.

Before Bree server was wiped I remember feeling elated and that I had come home. Relearning old powersets was fun and got me thinking about all the stuff I didn't get to do before shut down. I was grateful for the chance to play COH again.

Now the feeling is more mixed. I appreciate what the volunteers are doing and trying to be patient but sometimes its hard. I feel like the kid in the candy store trying to get a treat that is just out of reach. I just want to play.

Be patient.

My older brother and I use to play this game a lot. He passed away in 2013. It brings back memories of our accomplishments within the game. It was also the first MMO I could get him to play. He did not like EQ, WoW, etc. My daughter actually wanted to play CoH today when she seen me playing. I wish we could help with the hardware or bandwidth issues. I hope it is not some Infamy farmers that are hitting the servers up. I find it hard to believe 1500 que line with two other new servers. But... I can not even get pass the login screen when I attempt to join those servers.

Before the secret servers shut down, they had only a couple thousand playing. Now we have 4 full servers and a queue of 1000 waiting on each server. So that's 3 or 4k per server if you include the queue. No one could have predicted this resurgence. And Im a CoH noob who always regretted not playing. Ive played pretty much every MMO that has come out since 2007, including foreign ones. So, this game not only has the vets who want to come back, but noobs like me. And then we have former players who may not even know these servers are out or they cant figure out to find the DL for the game. So every one should be prepared: the next few weeks will be rocky af as more and more come here to play. Every one just needs to be patient. You all waited 7 years. You can wait a some more. The last thing we need is to discourage the server mods and managers. Let's all just relax.

I hope to god these servers stay up. This game is amazing. And who knows, maybe Cryptic will allow us to add in even more character face options. Cryptic, thus far, has said they are turning a blind eye to our existence. Bless them. And I dont think Cryptic and PWI are going to throw a bitch fit because Champions Online is so dead there are times where there are less than 300 people online. So this game isnt stealing players away. That game was dead af a looooong time ago.

Cryptic has not been involved in City of Heroes since 2007 when it sold the rights to the game's publisher, NCSoft. Neither Cryptic nor PWI have a say at all in this really.

Yikes. This game has made me even more bitter towards the state of gaming today. The customization is unrivaled other than the lack of face sliders and body sliders (although the body sliders and pre made faces are far better than many MMOs even today).
It actually has face sliders. When editing the costume, open up the "Scales" menu on the right side of the screen.

What does it mean to me? It means I get a second chance to open up my Tank building factory and experiment with all the various combinations that I never tried before. This was when I had 48 characters, and probably 32 of them were various Tank combinations. It means I get to experiment with enhancements vs power sets, to see how cheap of a Tank I can build and yet still play at maximum settings (if possible) It means that a lot of folks that used to help players like myself who were Noob's at the time we tried it, once again get to help us out of tough spots we should never have gotten into. It really means.....FUN!!!!

It means playing the only MMO I've ever really not only enjoyed, but loved.  It's a beautiful illustration of how not only MMOs should be, but the dire position they're in now.

My life has changed a whole lot since I started playing back in 2006 and for a long time I've not played video games at all.  I will still play this one and it's "pick up and play for half an hour" suits my more active unplugged life style now as much as my square eyed one did 13 (yikes!) years ago.

To me, CoH is about creativity. All aspects of the game are about the players expressing themselves in ways that no other MMO has come close to, in my view.

• The costume system itself is huge. So many games have characters with uniform looks due to gear or whatever, but in CoH everyone is (potentially) unique!
  • Powersets have a TON of combinations that lend themselves to unique playstyles.
  • The invention system is crazy in-depth, and can really change how a character plays even within the same powerset.
  • So many possibilities when playing in a team. My character (rad/sonic defender) would focus on different abilities depending on group makeup -- sometimes almost playing like a blaster with debuffs, sometimes focusing on controls over damage, sometimes even mixing it up in melee with Total Focus and stuff. My most memorable group was 8 defenders burning through an ITF like nothing. What's this nonsense other games have about tank/healer/DPS? :P
  • The Mission Architect is an amazing system that has not really been replicated anywhere else. It can tell stories (and I have played some great ones!), it can create challenge missions to push character abilities to the limit, it can be used to support RP and SG events... and yeah, it can be used to level and get resources very efficiently as well. And the barrier of entry is not particularly high, either, which helps a lot of people in making their ideas real and sharing it with thousands of players.

Another thing about CoH was the positivity and helpfulness of other players. Sure, there were bad apples, but there is really no comparison with any other MMO I have played (before or after).

I played Coh from Beta till the end, although i wasn't able to log on on the final night, always regretted that. This was my first MMO and my favourite, nothing quite matched this game and i've looked around at everything since. This is still the only game i ever bothered to write a guide for, and i always regretted not making an update to it(i just checked the wayback machine and it was Issue 4). Doubt i could do it now haha!!

CoH does remind me of a simpler time in life, less stress, pressure, and plenty of time to run a 10+ hour Shadow Shards Task Force. I couldn't do that now if i wanted to.

I had so many good memories playing, the events, random player run stuff, costume contests, weddings, awesome Task Forces and lots of laughs.

Although i haven't put in as much time as i would have like due to family life, i'll get to 50 eventually, and i'll do as many TF's as i can in the meantime.

This game was, without a doubt, the most played game for me.  I loved, LOVED, creating new characters or seeing how close I could get one to something from a movie or tv show.  There isn't a game out there that matches the character creator or powerset choices.  there are so many different ways you can play, and everything feels just different enough that you never get bored (well I didn't anyways).  I have never found a game that has come close to giving me the enjoyment that CoH does.  I have been scouring the internet for years, hoping that somehow, some way, we'd get to go back.  I have been disappointed by the numerous attempts to bring it back in one way or another.  I have been (so far) disappointed by its spiritual successors (city of titans, ship of heroes, etc.).  Since I found out about Homecoming, I have been cautiously lurking, waiting for yet another disappointment.  I'm trying not to get invested.  I don't want to lose Paragon City again.

The code is out there.  Start your own server. 

Personally, CoX  was one of my fav games of all time.  I would keep coming back even if there was as much lag and as many disconnects as there were on Bree and Torchbearer when they first went up, lol.  I am so grateful, not only for the chance to play CoX again, but because the team is continually striving for more improvements.  My family moved to Indomitable, which overall runs exceptionally well.  We have characters on all 4 servers, though, for when it doesn't. 

Thanks again, team! 

• The costume system itself is huge. So many games have characters with uniform looks due to gear or whatever, but in CoH everyone is (potentially) unique!

The "you are what you wear" gear system is probably one of the things I like least about other MMOs; even the games where you picked abilities from sets and they advanced differently depending on whether you used them or just knew them, your gear was always a major contributor to your combat capability, and your abilities increased in power identically to everyone else with the same abilities. CoH divorced that completely; your costume had nothing to do with your abilities, and you advanced your abilities as and in the direction you preferred -- pick any two characters with the same powersets, and they're unlikely to have them slotted the same way even if they have the same slot allocation... and their costumes will be radically different unless they deliberately made them similar or alike.

It's interesting. When I started playing this game, about a month after it first came one, it was my first true MMO love. And it's STILL my answer to the question, "What is the greatest game you ever played?" I only learned that it was back online last night and so I'm sitting at work today, champing at the bit to get home and revisit Paragon City. Will it hold up? I don't know. Quite a lot of changed in gaming since I last played. Moreover, I've changed. I was in my late 30s during my COH heyday and now I'm 52. I have a granddaughter. And I'm a completely different person than the person I used to be. I expect tonight will be a little like going back in time.

What I remember about the game was a character creation system that STILL has yet to be matched. I remember death actually meaning something. (That death penalty was HARSH!) And I remember task forces that could take until the crack of dawn. (I will admit that I've gotten used to being able to do a WoW dungeon in an hour or less.) But I'm excited to get back and recreate my main. I'm glad this exists. And it's cool to see just how many people love and missed this game.

Its filled a massive gap in my life. This is the online environment I'm most comfortable in, the best MMO I've ever played and I can finally play this with my wife again. We love sharing this experience. CoH was like a second home to us. Sometimes I'd just log in and end up talking to friends.

Its perfect for me right down to the awesome character creator that ruined all others for me.