The Calendar and Events feature on the website has been disabled ×

Slotting Recharge Enhancements in a Defense Power.... Benefits?

shortguy on indom

Slotting Recharge in click to activate Mez Defense powers makes a huge difference.  Some armor sets use the click vice toggle mechanism in them; Super Reflexes (Practiced Brawler) and Shield (Focused Fighting).  Obviously when slotting Set IO's you often cant avoid having to use a XXXX/RECH or combination enhancement like that.  Funny thing is that with auto powers and set IOs its better to do the XXXX/RECH vice some other and often can be gotten a little cheaper than the rest because "no need for RECH in def powers"

As for the +RECH of LoTG even by its lonesome helps bring down recharge time on all powers nut just the slotted one.  Super important for Doms and those who are Recharge strapped.  And you can totally have 5 of them which is why people take certain fundamentally useless powers that can take Defense enhancements to "Mule" the RECH Proc".  These are not miniscule my any measure.  On some builds its almost mandatory.  But they are freakin expensive so save your Merits for those.

Set bonuses is a vastly larger conversation.  Sometimes its going to be defined by your AT other times its your build.  Are you trying to increase defense?  Resist?  Sets will help but may hinder.  It's a balance.  Same goes for adding regen or recovery via sets.  You need to do a little planning there because again . . . expense.  It adds a whole new vector to how you build and play.

But please, dont go all spendy on purples until you know what you want and need for your character.  that is where you get in to 100 MIL for 1% gain stuff.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

2 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

So, what kind of an advantage does a player receive by slotting +Recharge into a Defense Power?

And also...how do +Recharge set-bonuses and LoTG procs help...(if any)?

What kind of benefits are we talking.... miniscule or big deal?

Slotting recharge gives the same effect it would in any other click power.  Personally, I have serious recharge slotted in Fortitude on my empathy defender.  I can keep Fortitude up on three teammates continuously.  Recharge in, say, Force Fields is not needed because the power recharges very quickly and it hits all teammates in range when you use it.

+recharge bonuses and LotG can be HUGE.  I have an earth/radiation controller who, with Accelerate Metabolism and Hasten, has 'perma Hasten'.  He can spam his powers and stack controls fast and the Accelerate Metabolism gives him the endurance to do it.  It's even more dramatic on a Dominator with perma-Hasten and perma-domination.  You just need to plan around that endurance usage.

• Thanks 1

Originally on Infinity.  I have Ironblade on every shard.  -  My only AE arc:  The Origin of Mark IV  (ID 48002)

Link to the story of Toggle Man, since I keep having to track down my original post.

Having a defensive toggle (like say Temp Invulnerability) doesn't do much for you. It means the toggle can be reactivated quicker if it goes down.

Getting global +Recharge set bonuses, on the other hand, is THE BEST use of IO sets, and my default aim for any new character. It's not impossible to get +100% global recharge from sets. Nukes and Build Up, long recharge AoE controls, your best attacks, all come back quicker.

LotG +Recharge uniques play a big part in this because

a) The bonus is great for just one slot

b) They obey their own "Rule of 5"  - you can have 5 of them, and other +7.5% Recharge bonuses like Basilisk's Gaze or Sting of the Manticore.

• Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, shortguy on indom said:

So, what kind of an advantage does a player receive by slotting +Recharge into a Defense Power?

So you have to keep in mind that if you are talking about the special Luck of the Gambler +global recharge enhancement, it affects all your other powers, with the 5 of them being like a +3 SO of recharge in all powers without taking up any additional slots.  As for the specific +recharge values in the various members of an IO set, they don't do much for your typical +DEF toggle power, but for powers that grant defense and have longer recharge times, like Fortitude from Empathy or Fade from Darkness Affinity, they help you keep your teammates buffed more often, so are still desirable.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 12/22/2023 at 10:30 AM, shortguy on indom said:

Short Answer:  Generally always "Yes" they help.

Long Answer:  is very complicated and very very long.  So see short answer.