brand new to game

Gallo1980

Hi all love summoning classes was wondering what is a good solo spec for mastermind are necromancy minions good? I though of them because of d2 necromancy also age of conan.

Any tips would be welcome never played the game when it came out thanks in advance.

Ps also I see builds put when I click on them I can see nothing what am I doing wrong? 

Thanks again

Welcome to the game!

As a long time mastermind player I can assure you necromancy is a most excellent primary power set. Check out the mastermind subform for ideas about combining with secondaries and how to play.

Overall enjoy your first time through. One teams level up the old-fashioned way, avoid fast XP farms, you really only get one time to do the new experience. Blue side has the older content, red side has the newer content and generally the more interesting story arcs, but there's good things to find on each. Maybe run a character on each side. And of course gold side but that's a little tougher to do solo, and gold side ( The going rogue expansion) is best done when you've got a little more experience under your belt.

You won't really make money for your characters until you have level 50, and that wouldn't work too much about it.

Honestly necromancy/dark miasma is an excellent starting combo it requires very little investment to make work well, and gets even better once you start to work on your build at end game.

If you are on everlasting and I'm on feel free to ping me for help or teaming. My global is  @force redux. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Moose 1

@Force Redux on Everlasting

----- (read my guide) -----

Gather the Shadows: A Dark Miasma Primer for Masterminds

• Game Master

Hey 🙂

I love Masterminds. Top tier are Beasts, Bots and Undead. Mercs got good, and the others are in the process of being reworked to make them better. They aren't bad, but from my own perspective (other people may disagree) they don't pop like the others.

The secondary is what can make a massive difference. Empathy is OK but a bit old school, people have change the way they play and enhancements are more potent now. Something like Pain or Time or Thermal are really good and electric is surprisingly effective. It's all about you though and what you enjoy. There aren't really bad choices, just choices that don't work for you.

• Like 1

• Game Master
12 hours ago, Gallo1980 said:

did u mean demons? cant find any undead on skills 

Yeah, sorry Necromancy. I kind of forget new players aren't familiar with power sets so swapping the names isn't helpful when someone new is trying to find it 🙂 

14 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

Hey 🙂

I love Masterminds. Top tier are Beasts, Bots and Undead. Mercs got good, and the others are in the process of being reworked to make them better. They aren't bad, but from my own perspective (other people may disagree) they don't pop like the others.

The secondary is what can make a massive difference. Empathy is OK but a bit old school, people have change the way they play and enhancements are more potent now. Something like Pain or Time or Thermal are really good and electric is surprisingly effective. It's all about you though and what you enjoy. There aren't really bad choices, just choices that don't work for you.

Coming from a GM, this piqued my interest/curiosity .

I love Beasts,Mercs, and Necro. However, with the way Beasts' attacks/cool downs are, and their sometimes wonky AI, I don't think I could consider them Top Tier. I would rank Mercs higher than Beasts.

Privy to talk about any reworks?  :)

• Game Master
1 minute ago, Xandyr said:

Coming from a GM, this piqued my interest/curiosity .

I love Beasts,Mercs, and Necro. However, with the way Beasts' attacks/cool downs are, and their sometimes wonky AI, I don't think I could consider them Top Tier. I would rank Mercs higher than Beasts.

Privy to talk about any reworks?  🙂

It's all down to personal preference and play style. And inf. A lot of inf. While it's not ridiculous like it is on live, it can still cost you anything up to a billion inf to fully slot out a character. For me I work on around half a billion, and don't do badly at all. Purple sets are affordable and make a huge difference.

I totally get why someone would say beasts are mid tier. They are mostly melee, have little in the way of range attacks, and can be quite squishy at times. The secondary really helps, as buffing any pet (not just beasts) makes a massive difference. I find Demons a bit meh, but other people love them and think they are awesome. Mercs are great since the rework, but for me they come below beasts.

And no, I'm as in the dark as you about future reworks 🙂 

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

2 hours ago, GM Crumpet said:

It's all down to personal preference and play style. And inf. A lot of inf. While it's not ridiculous like it is on live, it can still cost you anything up to a billion inf to fully slot out a character. For me I work on around half a billion, and don't do badly at all. Purple sets are affordable and make a huge difference.

I totally get why someone would say beasts are mid tier. They are mostly melee, have little in the way of range attacks, and can be quite squishy at times. The secondary really helps, as buffing any pet (not just beasts) makes a massive difference. I find Demons a bit meh, but other people love them and think they are awesome. Mercs are great since the rework, but for me they come below beasts.

And no, I'm as in the dark as you about future reworks 🙂 

I have a Beast/Nature and a Beast/Time. Both are great, and it'd be a coin flip for me to say which is "better" (although I do like the background/bio of the Nature more). Demons are OK to me....but I HATE their size.

Anyway, back to the OP....

I believe what you are referring to as far as builds go.....you need to download Mids Reborn. It is a tool that helps you plan out your leveling and slotting. You can find the link on the forums.

Necromancy is awesome. Freakin' awesome. As mentioned by @GM Crumpet, the secondary can almost make or break the primary. There's some people that choose powersets based strictly on an idea/concept. Others researh and play around in Mids Reborn forEVER to try and find the most synergy between the Primary and Secondary powersets, along with set bonuses from IOs (Invention Origin enhancements).

For example....Necro's pets  can debuff To Hit. The more To Hit Debuff you can get/stack on a baddie, the harder it is for you to get hit. Now, Look at /Dark. It has the potential to debuff To Hit also. Stack em together, and you've instantly made your pets harder to hit. Dark also has its own "pet" in Dark Servant...which debuffs, heals, and helps with mitigation. Necro/Dark can be a POWERHOUSE.

On the flip side...let's say you paired Necro with /Sonic. Now your pets will have high (or capped) Resistances. However...there's no heals to help your pets (other than their own heal). There's no debuffing To Hit, but you can lower the enemies' resistances, so they take more damage. Between /Sonic and /Dark, the general consensus would be that /Dark is miles ahead of /Sonic...especially when paired with Necro.

I hope that makes sense. I would suggest while making your toon, to really look at each power set and the description. See if you can find some synergy in there that may help. Of course, your Bio/toon concept trumps all. I'd rather play a toon that I love their bio/background I made for them and be "weaker" than play an uber toon that I have no real interest/time invested in it. Also, keep looking through the MM forums and read/research.

I'm on Excelsior. Global is @Scarlett Angel and @Will Killum. Feel free to shout and if I'm on, I'd be glad to help.

Some of my personal favorite MMs I have are:

Necro/FF

Necro/Pain

Mercs/Pain

Mercs/Dark

Beast/Time

Beast/Nature

Ninja/Pain

Necro/Nat

On 1/5/2024 at 3:41 AM, GM Crumpet said:

and the others are in the process of being reworked to make them better.

Woo, secret insider knowledge!  I mean, at least to me... maybe it was already known that all of them were being rejiggered...

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

• Game Master
1 hour ago, Clave Dark 5 said:

Woo, secret insider knowledge!  I mean, at least to me... maybe it was already known that all of them were being rejiggered...

Hardly secret, the devs mentioned it at the time

• Thanks 1

On 1/4/2024 at 6:00 PM, Gallo1980 said:

Ps also I see builds put when I click on them I can see nothing what am I doing wrong? 

Thanks again

The builds thing not coming up is likely due to you not having Mids Hero Planner installed on your PC.

Start Here in the forums for information:

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/forum/74-forum/

Get from here:

You can grab the most recent installer from our website -> https://midsreborn.com

• Like 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

On 1/5/2024 at 10:02 PM, Xandyr said:

I have a Beast/Nature and a Beast/Time.

Sorry to piggyback off of this, but I just started playing and made a Beast/Nature Mastermind myself LOL. Any advice for a newbie? Powers to take or avoid?

13 hours ago, Annabatty said:

Sorry to piggyback off of this, but I just started playing and made a Beast/Nature Mastermind myself LOL. Any advice for a newbie? Powers to take or avoid?

Sure thing. Welcome to the City!

As far as Bests go, I took everything except Call Swarm and Call Hawk. 

- Call Ravens, IMO, is a better power than Hawk. You can proc the crap out of Call Ravens if you want to, increasing your damage potential (and it can slot the Achilles' Heel: Chance for Resistance Debuff, which further helps your damage, and your pets' damage).

- Train and Tame Beasts (as of right now) only need the default slotting (1 slot). Throw an Endurance Reduction in them and call it a day.

- Do your best to get the unique MM IOs to increase your pets' defense and resistances. Also, slotting the Overwhelming Force proc in Wolves will help with mitigation. You get 3 Wolves, and with that Proc, every attack each of them executes will have a chance to knock down the enemies. If they're on their butt, they aren't attacking you or your pets. I was able to slot the following:

- WOLVES

Sovereign Right: Resistance Bonus

Sovereign Right : ACCY/DAM/END

Overwhelming Force: ACCY/DAM/END

Overwhelming Force: Damage/Chance for Knockdown

Mark of Supremacy: ACY/END

Mark of Supremacy: ACCY/DAM/END

-LIONS

Edict of the Master: Defense Bonus

Edict of the Master: ACCY/DAM/END

Expedient Reinforcement: Resist Bonus

Mark of Supremacy: DAM/END

Mark of Supremacy: ACCY/DAM

Blood Mandate: ACCY/DAM/END

-DIRE WOLF

Call To Arms: Defense Bonus

Call to Arms: ACCY/DAM

Sovereign Right: ACCY/DAM/END

Sovereign Right: ACCY/END

Mark of Supremacy: +Resist/Regen

Mark of Supremacy: DAM

I found with this slotting, all of my pets had great Accuracy/Damage/End Reduction, plus having those uniques REALLY help. Get those as soon as you can. 

I never use Fortify Pack. While I know it will increase your pets' Defense and Regen, it also stops your pets from hitting crits for the duration.

With Nature, I think every power is useful. You DEFINITELY want Wild Growth, Wild Bastion, and Overgrowth up as often as possible. Take Hasten to help with your Recharge. There are IO sets that can help increase your global recharge, which will help also. 

Wild Growth increases Resistances and Regen. Wild Bastion gives everyone in the radius an absorb shield and heal over time. Overgrowth is ridiculous. It adds +To Hit, and endurance discount, AND a 49.5% increase to Damage. DEFINITELY want this up as much as possible.

Your debuffs, Corrosive Enzymes and Spore Cloud, are great. Combined, they bring the following:

- 8.75% Resistance Debuff

-18.75% Damage debuff from Corrosive Enzymes, and another -16.88% from Spore cloud, for a total of -35.63% Damage Debuff)

-150% Regeneration debuff

-To Hit Debuff (which can be enhanced. Mine is slotted for -17.09% To Hit Debuff)

Lifegiving Spores

Can be skipped as it is situational. You lay down a area that heals over time, and gives a litttle endurance over time. I can't remember how much,  but every couple of seconds, you'll heal everyone in that area for a little, plus they'll gain a small amount of endurance. Decent for AV/GM fights that will drag on for a bit, and possibly useful while you are leveling up. I took it for AV/GM fights, and to 5 slot it with Panacea, so I could get the global recharge bonus.

Rebirth

If you team, I would say they would appreciate this power if/when they get defeated. It's a rez. Or, you can use it on an ally (or pet) as another Heal over time.

Entangling Aura

Personally, I like this power. Some don't. It's a toggle, and anyone that comes within it has a chance to be Held. It's only a Mag 2 Hold, so you won't Hold bosses, but if any minions come near you, then they'll likely be held. It can be slotted with the Lockdown: Chance for +2 Mag Hold, which would give you a lot better chance of holding stronger opponents. There's also Neurotic Shutdown: Chance for Psi damage and Ghost Widow's Embrace: Chance for Psi Damage IOs that can be slotted in it if you want. (I slotted 5 pieces of Unbreakabke Constraint in it, mainly for the Recharge Bonus).

I ALWAYS take the Leadership Pool on my MMs. Maneuvers, Assault, and Tactics.

Nature loves recharge, so take Hasten. 

If you have any other questions, by all means ask. The Forums are chock full of very savvy/intelligent players that are usually more than happy to help. @StrikerFox is one of the gurus.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

And again, Welcome to Paragon!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hey, thanks so much! This gives me a much better idea of what I'm doing. It definitely helps that my girlfriend is also planning on trying the game, and is thinking of playing a controller so when we're playing together I probably won't need to focus super hard on damage and can just worry about my pets doing their job.

• Like 1