Remorting

This is a feverdream, I know that. But it's a very dear feverdream. Let me have my moment.

I've always wanted to play a MMO that allowed for remorting (sometimes called reincarnating).

What is "Remorting"?

Remorting is a mechanic commonly seen in text-based MUDs (the precursors for modern MMOs).  When a character hits max level, they can go on to become "immortal" or "divine" or whatever, which is similar to the incarnate system. Basically, they get even more powerful, even if they can't gain any more levels. OR they can remort. This resets their level back to 1, and allows them to pick an additional class. In a traditional fantasy MUD, for example, a level 100 wizard may remort and become a level 1 Wizard/Thief.  This process can usually be repeated multiple times, with the only catch being that each remort raises the number of xp needed to gain levels, so each journey to max level takes a little more time.

Why should this system be applied to City?

Three reasons.

1) It helps alleviate endgame fatigue. The endgame is limited, no new stuff is going to be added- at least not quickly.  With this system, if someone get's tired of endgame stuff, they can just remort and try something new, while still keeping a sense of progression.  The game becomes more re-playable.

2) This game triggers severe alt-itis in most people. This could help alleviate that. People would be motivated to hit max level because it would let them try something new and progress at the same time.

3) Some character concepts can't be realized within a single AT. 

How could this system be applied to City?

It could be applied pretty directly. A max level character could be remorted, becoming a level 1 character with a second AT/set of primary & secondary powers.  The xp needed to level could be increased by some factor (1.25 or something like that).  The only tricky part is power selections and enhancement slots. You couldn't just double them without the whole thing becoming too cumbersome. Even a character with just two ATs would have too many buttons.  Maybe increase the amount of power selections by some small, flat number each remort, with a proportionate increase to the amount of enhancement slots?  Each remort could also unlock a new build slot, allowing a character to have builds that emphasize their different ATs. A separate, dedicated server would need to be set up for this whole thing, so only the people crazy enough to try this stuff would be subjected to it.  Obviously, this would shatter all semblance of balance in the game, but by god, it would be glorious.

flat no to the proposal of adding additional powersets via a remort system.

uninflected meh on other possible 'remort' ideas (like adding prestige powers or global enhancement percentages or additional slots).  it's impractical to design content challenging to the players who abandon their altitis long enough to get somebody through a few dozen remorts, so it seems like kind of a dead end as a system -- it stratifies a few elite, bored players at a very high but empty tier, endlessly trivializing the existing content for those they chaperone through it.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

I am a sucker for the whole "Reincarnation" concept, especially if it means adding a subclass.

But unless that subclass is very stifled, it's likely to be incredibly overpowered.

Fire/Kin/DA Cor would just be outrageous LOL

Or hell, a Spines/Fire/Kin Brute.

If it worked in a way where you only got say.. specific abilities or only the first 1-3 powers, I could see that being less problematic.

That's a terrible name.

The idea itself, it's not like I don't understand the concept/appeal, but it would probably lead to nothing good execution-wise. Scrapcode-tangle that is most late-life MMOs aside, unless it were a specific set of powers designed for each individual AT, you'd end up with some serious fuckery.

Because otherwise say it's limited to "just" the first two powers of secondary sets/values. What if my Blaster grabs High Pain Tolerance or worse yet Bane Spider Armor (hey it's technically a branch-off level 1)? How hard is it to take down a Tanker with HPT AND Inexhaustible? and how worthless an upgrade is it for a beam rifle defender to grab power bolt as his big new special?

1) It helps alleviate endgame fatigue. The endgame is limited, no new stuff is going to be added- at least not quickly.  With this system, if someone get's tired of endgame stuff, they can just remort and try something new, while still keeping a sense of progression.  The game becomes more re-playable.

If you think new content isn't going to be added anytime soon, what makes you think we'd see a whole new system which requires new mechanics for character building, as well as needing to be balanced to avoid even more ridiculously strong builds?

I can see the appeal, but no.

PQAzhGk.png Make Energy Melee Great Again! Join the discussion.

Request hi-res icons here. fBfruXW.pngnFRzS1G.pngZOOTsRk.pngh1GKuZo.pngNG0EFBL.png8lnHKLt.png3f2lHyL.png7KPkl2C.pngHPucq9J.pngBlbsQUx.pngXdnlqXI.png9sfLlss.pngu1MqVyK.png9E28NED.pngTrwSZIP.png

I fail to see the endgame fatigue you mention. There are numerous things which can be done once someone hits 50 - incarnates, Accolades, Badges, Crafting, Ouroboros, etc.

As for this idea - no. It is not difficult at all to get from 1-50 in this game. If you want a new character then make one and level it any way you like...PL, missions, etc. You can go from 1-50 in 4 hours already.

In theory, I really like this idea.  Kingdom of Loathing also does something like it - when you beat the main quest, you can then start over at level 1 as a new class, keeping one skill from the previous class (or one of the non-class skills you can pick up), repeat until you have every skill from every class and then some at level 1 if you so choose.  (Considering there's 215 common skills you can "perm", not even counting event or other limited-time skills, that would take a while, even if you're one of those speedster madmen who could ascend every day)

However, on CoH, this would be a nightmare in terms of game balance (let's face it, thanks to Invention Sets and Incarnate abilities, our characters are overpowered as it is, though I honestly think that's one of the game's strengths) and mechanics (the powers system code is mainly held together with dental floss, spit, and wishes, and I don't think something as complex as this could be shoehorned in there), so i don't think it would be in any way feasible.

(Edited for grammar)

In theory, I really like this idea.  Kingdom of Loathing also does something like it - when you beat the main quest, you can then start over at level 1 as a new class, keeping one skill from the previous class (or one of the non-class skills you can pick up), repeat until you have every skill from every class and then some at level 1 if you so choose.  (Considering there's 215 common skills you can "perm", not even counting event or othe limit-time skills, that would take a while)

However, on CoH, this would be a nightmare in terms of game balance (let's face it, thanks to Invention Sets and Incarnate abilities, our characters are overpowered as it is, though I honestly think that's one of the game's strengths) and mechanics (the powers system code is mainly held together with dental floss, spit, and wishes, and I don't think something as complex as this could be shoehorned in there), so i don't think it would be in any way feasible.

I'm out.