Hello all I was just wondering why so many recommend going dark/dark corrupter instead of defender these days?

StarseedWarrior

I am an old school vet and used to main one and loved it, its versatile and I really enjoyed the crippling enemies while leaching health for my teammates. If its all about damage why not go dark blaster? I am just curious and new to allot of things to the game I was not here for every live update.

Thanks!

people like the extra damage a corrupter gives when scourge kicks in. damage and defense are the FOTM thesedays

personally i play defenders rather than corrs as the primary is the most important part. i like having the ‘best’ version of the primary set and feel i have more license as a defender to focus on the secondary effects of my blast powers, rather than needing to build for damage

e.g on a /dark defender i’d go all out on -acc and team support, rather than focusing on damage

a corrupter would definitely be better for solo though

Dark Blast has DoTs which pair well with Scourge.  Also while Defenders get a slight increase in -tohit in Dark Blast, Corruptors are possibly blasting more and thus stacking those -tohit blasts

• Like 1

I'd guess it's mainly for more damage, to balance out the defensive, control heavy nature of both Dark Blast and Dark Miasma. Corruptor has enough -tohit, -damage, healing, and lockdown to make a team immortal. Boosting those further as Defender is overkill.

There are also a couple of cross-AT power quirks that benefit Corruptors:

* Corruptor's Dark Servant is identical to Defender's.

* Corruptor's Life Drain self-heals 5% more than Defender's.

I'd guess the main draw of going Defender is the -30% resistance on Tar Patch, compared to the Corruptor's -22.5%.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 11:38 PM, Ringo said:

Dark Blast has DoTs which pair well with Scourge.  Also while Defenders get a slight increase in -tohit in Dark Blast, Corruptors are possibly blasting more and thus stacking those -tohit blasts

DoTs don't have any special interaction with scourge. Well Darks don't. They only have one initial ToHit check and one test to Scourge. The whole thing hits and scourges or none of it does.

"Rains" (which Dark doesn't have) roll ToHit for each "drop" of rain. So those repeatedly test for Scourge and there a benefit there because as HP drops the chance for a rain drop to Scourge increases. So rains get more scourges over time. 

So Rain of Fire, Ice Storm, Blizzard and Whirlpool are Scourge friendly. Standard DoTs don't have any Scourge friendly extra interactions compared to normal attacks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Basically a dark/dark corruptor will already be flooring enemy hit chances, so the extra values from defender are less useful.

The tar patch advantage to defender is meaningful, but I don't think bridges the damage gap solo. 

Both are great! To me it's as coin flip. 

On 1/14/2024 at 9:02 AM, Onlyasandwich said:

Basically a dark/dark corruptor will already be flooring enemy hit chances, so the extra values from defender are less useful.

The tar patch advantage to defender is meaningful, but I don't think bridges the damage gap solo. 

Both are great! To me it's as coin flip. 

Personally like both and ran mirrors of Ice and Dark Miasma but don't forget (folks in general) any theoretical edge Corruptors have solo has to account for the +30% damage bonus Defenders get while solo.  And as I recall last I heard that basically wiped out any difference in damage output Corruptors may have had.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later

Corruptors of any set are going to shine when taking on big HP bags like AVs and Giant Monsters. On those targets, scourge can be meaningful. On regular minions, scourge is mostly irrelevant since if they are below half hit points (when scourge can trigger) then you are probably going to defeat them on the next hit regardless. But corruptors do have better damage scales and higher damage caps.

For Dark/Dark specifically, I agree that the debuff values are so high and layered (especially -ACC), that it can be overkill on a defender so you may as well get the extra damage from a corruptor. However, defenders can be significantly tankier if they take an epic armor, tough, weave, and maneuvers, which is a reason to go defender instead of corruptor. Defenders gets max value from those armor-like powers just like other buffs. It just depends on your preference; I would probably go corruptor but both have their advantages.