I want to start a new website that is connected to Homecoming Wiki - but its a news site like WOWHEAD or Icy Veins

Xalon

WOW has sites where they release articles on a daily basis. COH could have the same thing. We can connect the database to the wiki so players can search for missions and other players could leave comments for each one.  The articles can highlight all the parts of the game, all the ATs and different features. 

It will also be a great way to promote Homecoming and we can get paid advertisers so more money can be put into the game. 

I also think we should start a kickstarter - so we can collect even more funding to help with the game. 

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? ANY SIMILAR IDEAS? Comment below.

• Haha 2

there is scarcely enough WoW-related news to sustain a news site, I don't feel like there is really much need for a CoH one

a searchable database is a fun idea but it's a lot of work to build (wowhead's is a multi-decade project at this point) and most of the functionality is probably already provided by the various wiki sites

also the idea that the we need the fanbyte/zam advertising model is... well, it sure is a take

Soooooooo, the wiki but you want to make money with it? Hate to burst your bubble; but Homecoming takes donations to keep the lights on and that's all. Pretty sure our shiny new license has that as a stipulation.  The Homecoming team spent years negotiating for it and I know new people are really excited about the game being "back" (insert LL Cool J joke), but let's gear down a few. 

Not sure what the rules say about if you wanted to do up your own, not asking for money, site that links to the wiki. That's a question for one of the Hommecoming team or at least someone who wants to research the ToS in depth.

• Thumbs Up 1

Sky-Hawke: Rad/WP Brute

Alts galore. So...soooo many alts.

Originally Pinnacle Server, then Indomitable and now Excelsior

I don't want to say no to an idea you're passionate about, but other than the small details mentioned above even Wowhead does not have enough info for their articles and they spend their time making fluff about a reddit post someone made, or blowing a minor bit of info into a fluffed out article. And they have Classic and Retail to draw on.

CoH has 100x less content than that still.

Edited by Sovera
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 2/6/2024 at 8:43 PM, Xalon said:

WOW has sites where they release articles on a daily basis. COH could have the same thing. We can connect the database to the wiki so players can search for missions and other players could leave comments for each one.  The articles can highlight all the parts of the game, all the ATs and different features. 

It will also be a great way to promote Homecoming and we can get paid advertisers so more money can be put into the game. 

I also think we should start a kickstarter - so we can collect even more funding to help with the game. 

WHAT DO YOU ALL THINK? ANY SIMILAR IDEAS? Comment below.

/jranger

Unnecessary thing is unnecessary

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I understand Homecoming takes donations only. But maybe now with the license that could change?

Just seems like we could get the devs a lot more $$$ so they can spend more time on the game and maybe get more to help.

Regardless, I want to offer my services to help the development. Does anyone know the best way to contact the team?

8 minutes ago, Xalon said:

I understand Homecoming takes donations only. But maybe now with the license that could change?

Just seems like we could get the devs a lot more $$$ so they can spend more time on the game and maybe get more to help.

Regardless, I want to offer my services to help the development. Does anyone know the best way to contact the team?

I appreciate your enthusiasm, and I hope we don't squelch that.  CoH: Homecoming exists as a volunteer effort, and that solely by the graces of NC Soft.  We're allowed donations to keep the lights on, but the license doesn't allow for "a lot more $$$".  It's volunteer work only.  We violate that, we're likely to get the permit revoked and the game shut down.

As to offering services, might I suggest starting with @Arcanum's post of January 17.

57 minutes ago, Xalon said:

Just seems like we could get the image.png.afabc937cf87de784262d6f5476c95d7.png lot more $$$ so they can spend more time on the game and maybe get more to help.

there, fixed it for you

If the wiki was sourced to make the databases yield results then the wiki should receive the bongo bucks.  They did all of the hard work.

• Thumbs Up 1

Girls of Nukem High - Excelsior - Tempus Fabulous, Flattery, Jennifer Chilly, Betty Beatdown, Totally Cali, Two Gun Trixie

Babes of War - Excelsior - Di Di Guns, Runeslinger, Munitions Mistress, Tideway, Hard Melody, Blue Aria

Several alts and of course my original from live on Freedom, OG High Beam (someone else has her non OG name)

8 hours ago, High_Beam said:

If the wiki was sourced to make the databases yield results then the wiki should receive the bongo bucks.  They did all of the hard work.

It was always maintained by Tony V throughout retail and "sunset" and it was donated by him to HC. He did all the hard work.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1