Respec failed, but still deleted my enhancements

nzer

I tried to respec while I had a level up available. It let me go through with it, and I discarded some enhancements at the end, then I got a "Respec failed" error. Despite not having actually respec'd, the enhancements I discarded were gone.

I guess I don't know if this is actually a bug, but it seems like if the respec fails the whole thing should fail, and I should still have all the enhancements.

Edit: Actually, several of the enhancements that I re-slotted are also gone. So I think there's definitely a bug here.

Edited by nzer

To the best of my knowledge, it is impossible to respec while you have an unused level up. The command works, but the final result fails. Try rebooting the game. Everything should come back.

Pretty sure I just respecced the other day before leveling up, actually, and had no problems.  I'm not 100% on that, but I would wager real Inf on it.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Ignore those farming chores, skip your market homework, play any power sets that you want, and ignore anyone who says otherwise.
This game isn't hard work, it's easy!
Go have fun!
╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

7 hours ago, Rudra said:

To the best of my knowledge, it is impossible to respec while you have an unused level up. The command works, but the final result fails. Try rebooting the game. Everything should come back.

You can, done it myself quite a few times

A big rule of respecc'ing.... never delete any enh at the end - put them in your trays to sell (vendor or market), or recycle with other toons.  It used to be that you could cash in old DOs/SOs at the end, but not now - it's a straight up delete.  So, put them in your tray (even if old and red) and vendor them, even if it will be a tiny bit of inf... it's still better than 0.  If it's generic IOs or set pieces you're pulling out, put them on the market or save them for another toon - again, some inf/use is better than none.

I would think, if your respec fails, whatever you slotted would stay (albeit not where you put it, but rather where it originally was), and apparently, anything in the box leftover at the end is deleted.  That's a shame, but I guess that's how it is currently working.  If any of the slotted enhs are gone too - that does sound like a bug.

I suspect it's something to do with the deleting process at end.  I am guessing that if you had put all your leftover enhs in your trays, the system could have pulled them back for placing in their original place.  But the system trying to follow the "delete" command and the "put it all back because it failed" command made it all go crazy.  ....just my theory.

9 hours ago, Rudra said:

Not impossible, but it is one of the more common reasons why a respec will fail.   I'd say definitely not recommended.   Level up first to save the possible headache.

3 hours ago, Nightmarer said:

You can, done it myself quite a few times

It failed every time I tried it. And when I asked about it, was informed it failed every time by others. So while I'm glad it worked for you, the likelihood of it failing means it should be avoided. Like @Riverdusk said.

17 hours ago, Rudra said:

It failed every time I tried it. And when I asked about it, was informed it failed every time by others. So while I'm glad it worked for you, the likelihood of it failing means it should be avoided. Like @Riverdusk said.

Sorry it does not work for you, I've had my fair share of failed respecs but not because having pending lvls, in fact, I did one on Saturday, at lvl 10 chose the wrong travel power so I stopped lvling, used the newly granted respec until lvl 10 again and then kept lvling at trainer until lvl 17.

Change zones or relog and the enhancements should reappear.  At the very worst,  the tuesday server restart should make them reappear.  I have been bug hunting around enhancement duplication and disappearing for some time,  and while i can cause both to happen,  they always go back to how they were when zoning or logging.

On 2/11/2024 at 11:16 AM, Frozen Burn said:

A big rule of respecc'ing.... never delete any enh at the end - put them in your trays to sell (vendor or market), or recycle with other toons.  It used to be that you could cash in old DOs/SOs at the end, but not now - it's a straight up delete.

I understand this. I have hundreds of millions of inf lying around and will gladly give up the 50k I may have gotten from selling a bunch of DOs and SOs if it means not having to click and drag every single one back to my tray.

In any case this was just low-level SOs and DOs, so I didn't pay a ton of attention to whether they came back eventually. I guess in the future I'll make sure not to respec without training up all the way first.