Weapon Mastery Pool Powers

Morning all... I've been thinking about something that I don't really know if they could do or want to do, but just hear me out. What if they added epic pools for all the weapons in the game? Just like our regular epic pools that open up at lvl 34 or 35. They could make it where you had to complete a taskforce that maybe made sense to why you're getting access to the weapons and then boom, you have soooo much character customization that we'd all have migraines. Just like the regular epic pools, every class wouldn't have the same version.  I don't know if melee toons would get access to melee weapon masteries or ranged toons would get access to ranged weapon masteries, but they would each get the opposites access. I think support characters would get access to both ranged and melee. Does that sound horrible? Could it be done?

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

Definitely in favor here. I've always wanted an ancillary power pool that included the P2W temps: revolver, St. Louis Slammer, plasmatic taser, etc. (maybe include some of the powers you get through playing certain missions. for ex: one of my toons has a "Confiscated Beanbag" rifle). That said, with INF being so much easier to acquire these days, I can easily purchase those. One thing about those, of course: you can't modify them via slotting.

Throwing several temps is an End drainer. This makes them sorta self-balancing. I've never fully committed to a toon that makes heavy use of them, so I do not know if the end problem can be mitigated. They certainly work well for emulating a "Utility Belt." Run a melee toon, augmented by the occasional gadget, and you've got a poor man's Batman.

(speaking of, just recalled I have one new toon that has Taser (from device pool), Plasmatic Taser (from temps), and Taser Dart (from Origin) If anyone knows of any other tasers, lemme know. My guy's gotta be ready for his next bouncer gig). 

Edited by cranebump
  • Like 2

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

12 hours ago, cranebump said:

Definitely in favor here. I've always wanted an ancillary power pool that included the P2W temps: revolver, St. Louis Slammer, plasmatic taser, etc. (maybe include some of the powers you get through playing certain missions. for ex: one of my toons has a "Confiscated Beanbag" rifle). That said, with INF being so much easier to acquire these days, I can easily purchase those. One thing about those, of course: you can't modify them via slotting.

Throwing several temps is an End drainer. This makes them sorta self-balancing. I've never fully committed to a toon that makes heavy use of them, so I do not know if the end problem can be mitigated. They certainly work well for emulating a "Utility Belt." Run a melee toon, augmented by the occasional gadget, and you've got a poor man's Batman.

(speaking of, just recalled I have one new toon that has Taser (from device pool), Plasmatic Taser (from temps), and Taser Dart (from Origin) If anyone knows of any other tasers, lemme know. My guy's gotta be ready for his next bouncer gig). 

The batman thing is a great example of what i'm talking about. We would be able to do so much more with Weapon mastery pool powers. Imagine giving an actual MA toon Shurikens. 

19 hours ago, ivioin said:

The batman thing is a great example of what i'm talking about. We would be able to do so much more with Weapon mastery pool powers. Imagine giving an actual MA toon Shurikens. 

For sure. Wish I could run those on something other than a Dom. Feel the same way about Arsenal (unless I’ve got that wrong?)

I have done a TON of AE work, both long form and single arc. Just search the AE mish list for my sig @cranebump. For more information on my stories, head to the AE forum sub-heading and look for “Crane’s World.” Support your AE authors! We ARE the new content.

On 2/21/2024 at 4:38 PM, cranebump said:

For sure. Wish I could run those on something other than a Dom. Feel the same way about Arsenal (unless I’ve got that wrong?)

Yea, I know right. Imagine trying to make deadpool. You would need guns and swords, but deadpool wouldn't have the weak temporary gun thing and he's tougher than a blaster lol. He would be like a katana scrapper with regen or wp and have like the pistols Weapon mastery.

8 minutes ago, A.I.D.A. said:

Deadpool is a pistols/regen sentinel with the ninja tools ancillary (for its katana attacks). Shame about the second katana, but it's the closest you'd get.

That said.  A Dual Pistol Epic Pool for Scrappers/Stalkers would be nice!

• Like 1

I'd love to see a ranged option in the Fighting Pool as an alternative to Boxing/Kick, maybe throwing knives.

• Thumbs Up 1

"Minimal FX Everything!"

I love this game. I'm eternally grateful that it was brought back.

"It's not enough that I win, somebody else has to lose" is not the attitude of a Hero.

On 2/25/2024 at 10:11 AM, Random Robot said:

I'd love to see a ranged option in the Fighting Pool as an alternative to Boxing/Kick, maybe throwing knives.

I feel like knives should be it's own pool.  Something like...

Stab - Basic melee Lethal damage attack, on par with the Punch/Kick damage in the Fighting pool.

Injure - Minor Lethal damage, target is slowed for a short duration.

Cunning Defense - Toggle, +DEF (Lethal) - Your training with sharp weapons has made you very wary of them, and you gain a bonus to your Defense against Lethal damage.

Throw Blade - Basic ranged Lethal damage attack, low end of Moderate damage and range the same as other Throwing attacks.

Blade Master - Applies a minor DOT effect to Stab, Injure, and Throw Blade.  Could also apply the same to Primary/Secondary powersets like Broadsword, Dual Blades, and Katana.  The effect could be a 30 to 60 second boost with a very long recharge time to keep it from being used constantly.

22 minutes ago, Player2 said:

I feel like knives should be it's own pool.  Something like...

Stab - Basic melee Lethal damage attack, on par with the Punch/Kick damage in the Fighting pool.

Injure - Minor Lethal damage, target is slowed for a short duration.

Cunning Defense - Toggle, +DEF (Lethal) - Your training with sharp weapons has made you very wary of them, and you gain a bonus to your Defense against Lethal damage.

Throw Blade - Basic ranged Lethal damage attack, low end of Moderate damage and range the same as other Throwing attacks.

Blade Master - Applies a minor DOT effect to Stab, Injure, and Throw Blade.  Could also apply the same to Primary/Secondary powersets like Broadsword, Dual Blades, and Katana.  The effect could be a 30 to 60 second boost with a very long recharge time to keep it from being used constantly.

That sounds like a cool power pool but I was thinking more that if I have to take an attack in order to unlock Tough and Weave I'd like a ranged option.

"Minimal FX Everything!"

I love this game. I'm eternally grateful that it was brought back.

"It's not enough that I win, somebody else has to lose" is not the attitude of a Hero.

Honestly, so long as the scalars matched the other pool powers, I feel like “weapon sets” would be fairly low-hanging fruit for an expansion.

The main limiter I can forsee is the same one that hits a Dual Pistols/Tac Arrow Blaster… the system only supports two “costume-based” weapons… the third is invisible in animations (which I leveraged for said blaster as being “missiles”).

This means they would probably need to either be coded like shield defense to not be selectable with certain power sets (i.e. you could add an assault rifle to a broadsword scrapper, but not dual pistols… and couldn’t use either with dual blades; you also would probably want to lock out the assault rifle pool from characters who already have an assault rifle powerset).

-or-

The pool powers would need to built with specific fixed models in their animations akin to the temp powers that have weapon draws as part of them.

Of the two, I actually think the second is the better way to go and, further, to keep it from becoming basically a third power set (once you’re to five related attack powers you’re basically a set in my book) I would suggest that instead several weapon options be grouped under the same power pool to make them interesting fillers, but not something you could completely define your character with.

Example: Medieval Weapons Pool might be Knife (fast), Sword (heavy), Throwing Knife (must have one power), Bow (must have one power) and Weapon Mastery (must have two powers, buffs the powers you have).

Modern Weapons Pool might be Pistol, Rifle, Dual Pistols (one prior pick; leaves both pistols drawn if you use pistol), Rifle Burst (one prior pick), and Grenade (two prior picks).

Eastern Weapons Pool might be Katana, Throwing Star, Katana Slice, Star Spray (cone), and Caltrops.

Basically, enough to mix some type of weaponry into your build without overwhelming your build or stepping onto the toes of the builds that actually have a weapon-based primary or secondary.

I support the idea of powerset diversification as a way to bring about combos that aren't available or simply not available in the ATs you want them in but they shouldn't compete with established powersets for picks & slots, ideally should be available at level 2 & their own separate system sort of like how Incarnate powers work

Edited by Chance Jackson

5 hours ago, Random Robot said:

That sounds like a cool power pool but I was thinking more that if I have to take an attack in order to unlock Tough and Weave I'd like a ranged option.

That's just a different kind of fighting.