Level in XP bar should show level shifts

The level in the circle (upper right hand corner by default) should include level shifts, and have that update when zoning. Now you don't have to go into Powers -> Combat Attributes -> Base -> Level Shift.

• Thumbs Up 3

Have you tried simply adding the Level Shift monitor to your screen, maybe on a toggle bind?

/bind EQUALS "monitorattribute Level Shift"

? 🙂

(You can scale that with /windowscale combatmonitor 1 — range is 0.65 to way too big.)

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

Not to thread jack, but in relation to this... is there some way to keep track of the actual level you are? Like if you've dinged and haven't trained yet you can see what level you would be if you trained?

I was hoping that was in the attribute screen but I didn't see it. It'd be cool if it was in attributes and showed your current level with level shifts also.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, LKN-351 said:

Not to thread jack, but in relation to this... is there some way to keep track of the actual level you are? Like if you've dinged and haven't trained yet you can see what level you would be if you trained?

I was hoping that was in the attribute screen but I didn't see it. It'd be cool if it was in attributes and showed your current level with level shifts also.

If you hover over your level in the hp/end bar it will show your actual level.

What this team needs is more Defenders

1 hour ago, Oklahoman said:

The level in the circle (upper right hand corner by default) should include level shifts, and have that update when zoning. Now you don't have to go into Powers -> Combat Attributes -> Base -> Level Shift.

Except a level shift is *not* your actual level.  While it may make you con +1/2/3 to enemies, (vs if you didn't have said level shift), or be 51/52/53 for combat purposes, you are still only level 50.  It is a combat mechanic and nothing else.

Edited by biostem
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Psyonico said:

If you hover over your level in the hp/end bar it will show your actual level.

I'm pretty sure it shows the level you're running not the level you will be when you hit the trainer after a ding or two. I could be wrong though.

1 hour ago, LKN-351 said:

I'm pretty sure it shows the level you're running not the level you will be when you hit the trainer after a ding or two. I could be wrong though.

Other than at lower levels, who carries around more than one ding?

I am just sorta-kinda baffled at the idea of being confused what level you "actually" are, when —

• It's displayed right in front of you on the one window you can't hide;
  • If it's flashing there you're (very most likely) XPed to one level higher;
  • The CA window indicates any level shift in play.

UPDATED: v4.15 Technical Guide (post 27p7)... 154 pages of comprehensive and validated info on on the nuts and bolts!
ALSO:  GABS Bindfile  ·  WindowScaler  ·  Teleport Guide  ·  and City of Zeroes  all at  www.Shenanigunner.com

6 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

I am just sorta-kinda baffled at the idea of being confused what level you "actually" are, when —

I'm not psychic, and I won't present myself as speaking for anyone else, but my intuition is that some people, (for whatever reason you care to chalk it up to), don't want to have to delve into the various mechanics of the game or how info is displayed, so instead want to have everything presented to them up front and without any obfuscation.  For my part, I simply have the level shift displayed among the other stats I set to be visible and leave it at that, but then my introduction to computing was text based with no mice, colors, audio besides beeps, or even fixed drives...

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Down 1

I'm fine with that, but as there are 2 or 3 or more numbers involved, I would sure hope any such display is configurable to turn it all back off. Put me in the crowd that doesn't need a continuous market ticker of alt value.

I never did serious work on teletypes, but my first hands-on computer had a 24-character, 1-line ASCII display. The hugely sophisticated and complex 40x24 monitor and its interface box came around after I'd moved on. 🙂

I'm good with whatever setup any player wants, as much as I may argue for my choices. But I will always be found in stubborn resistance to cluttering up the screen with yet more micro-numbers for the spreadsheet faction. Add the feature, fine... but make sure it has an off switch.

Edited by Shenanigunner

4 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Have you tried simply adding the Level Shift monitor to your screen, maybe on a toggle bind?

/bind EQUALS "monitorattribute Level Shift"

? 🙂

(You can scale that with /windowscale combatmonitor 1 — range is 0.65 to way too big.)

I am aware of how to determine my own level shift. Going with my suggestion would reduce - potentially eliminate - those folks showing up in Ouro after I advertised for 50+2's asking "What's my level shift?"

Would also be a signal a relatively alert user if they accidentally unslotted a T3 or something.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Oklahoman said:

I am aware of how to determine my own level shift. Going with my suggestion would reduce - potentially eliminate - those folks showing up in Ouro after I advertised for 50+2's asking "What's my level shift?"

No, it wouldn't. Not unless it was perma-enabled, at which I would vociferously temper tantrum; or if enabled by default, which some large portion of the user base would thusly temper-tantrum about, if the recent VERY minor "look at this" features of P7 are any indication. Look at how many thought cooldown timers were new...

Nothing is ever going to stop Help and General and Broadcast from being filled with "Which one is the ANY key?" questions. Nothing. There is always going to be a not-insignificant percentage of players who want to Molly Hatchet* their gameplay and can't be begged or beaten into ever going and looking anything up. They don't have time to read a page on Incarnates, you see, they have the menu open and want someone to explain it to them, with every nuance of min-maxing, right now. Or have to ask what something like their level shift is when they're not an advanced enough player to be level-shifted. You know, the ones that installed the game and AE-PLed to 50 without ever learning what the Zones are.

Kudos for wanting the UI t be intuitive and self-teaching; that is near and dear to my UI-designing professional heart. But the bottom line is that, other than running around and whacking on Hellions, it's a complex game and a successful player is going to have to invest some time learning the 'whole' of each feature, not trying to figure out optimal set slotting as they're falling into a mothership raid.

*   "I got the pedal to the floor and my life alt is runnin' faster /  We got our sights set straight ahead but I ain't sure what we're after... Hey, what's a "Giant Monster and can a fire/kin solo it?"

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Shenanigunner said:

Other than at lower levels, who carries around more than one ding?

PUGs tend to race to the blue button at the end and I unsuccessfully try to find an opening to hit the trainer before the end of task forces and forget how many times I've dinged. Sometimes I don't want to go over a certain level. As far as seeing your current level after a ding I don't recall there's any way aside from when you hit the trainer.

@biostem that was rude for absolutely no reason. It seems to me that we're close to the same age from what you posted.

2 minutes ago, LKN-351 said:

that was rude for absolutely no reason. It seems to me that we're close to the same age from what you posted.

Don't tone police me.  Grow a thicker skin.

Edited by biostem
  • Thumbs Down 1

56 minutes ago, LKN-351 said:

PUGs tend to race to the blue button at the end and I unsuccessfully try to find an opening to hit the trainer before the end of task forces and forget how many times I've dinged. Sometimes I don't want to go over a certain level. As far as seeing your current level after a ding I don't recall there's any way aside from when you hit the trainer.

@biostem that was rude for absolutely no reason. It seems to me that we're close to the same age from what you posted.

Every time you ding, your new level is posted in the chat bar.

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

Every time you ding, your new level is posted in the chat bar.

Where's this "Chat Bar," does it come in pink and can I get the Devs to make it go sideways when I'm doing a dance emote? And is there ANY way to communicate with other players in the game?

<GD&RAVF>

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Shenanigunner said:

Where's this "Chat Bar," does it come in pink and can I get the Devs to make it go sideways when I'm doing a dance emote? And is there ANY way to communicate with other players in the game?

<GD&RAVF>

Chat window. Sorry.

• Sad 1