Illusion/Martial arts?

On 3/7/2024 at 4:14 PM, StarseedWarrior said:

Hey all I need some help with how to build this character, first is this a good combo? I wanted something with pets that I can fight in melee with. Thanks everyone.

Love illusion primary. Don't think much of martial. If your wanting to play in melee and the only decent attack it has is the tier 2 Thunder Kick you may want to pick a more melee centric secondary. Like any other secondary except martial. Seriously every other secondary is way better in melee. Earth/psi/elec/dark/energy/ice/rad/savage/sonic/thorns. Even fire or arsenal.

On the other hand it does have some fun stuff, trick shot, envenomed, dragons tail...caltrops. You can make it work, you can make anything work in this game.

Type martial into the search bar in the domi section of this forum to check out any builds posted with this secondary. Or to read comments on how other players view it.

• Thumbs Up 1

I seem to recall reading somewhere recently about an illusion martial dominator with crazy single target DPS. 

Checked the pylon thread over in scrapper forum but couldn't find it.

Anyone have a link? 

Edit: found link

Edited by ...
  • Thanks 1

On 3/8/2024 at 1:14 AM, StarseedWarrior said:

Hey all I need some help with how to build this character, first is this a good combo? I wanted something with pets that I can fight in melee with. Thanks everyone.

Martial Pumps out a nice amount of AoE in melee and while the damage isn't the highest, the aoes have knockdown. Use this to your benefit and slot Force Feedback proc in Spinning Kick and Dragon's tail to help keep your recharge low for Perma-PA.

You can (and should) take Cross Punch from the Fighting pool and do the same. You can use it to face your targets, then use Spinning Kick afterward to ensure you're oriented correctly. 

This will allow you to spam out AoE damage and KD while your pets do the single target damage.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, ... said:

I seem to recall reading somewhere recently about an illusion martial dominator with crazy single target DPS. 

Checked the pylon thread over in scrapper forum but couldn't find it.

Anyone have a link? 

Edit: found link

Yup i saw this when it was posted. I never recommend players use these builds for general content/team play. Rikti pylons don't move. All builds are made for specific targets while running t4 incarnates/offensive amplifier/temp powers. Take 1 into a taskforce and see how it fares. Try exempting down a few levels and not having incarnates.

1 hour ago, Meknomancer said:

Yup i saw this when it was posted. I never recommend players use these builds for general content/team play. Rikti pylons don't move. All builds are made for specific targets while running t4 incarnates/offensive amplifier/temp powers. Take 1 into a taskforce and see how it fares. Try exempting down a few levels and not having incarnates.

I find this point is usualy over focused on.

The build in question lacks for defenses and endurance slotting sure, but Recovery Serum alone will solve the end issue easily. A team should cover the durability issue either through support or tanking. The most id caution is taking this build solo, but it has all the tools an Ill/MA dom should have aside from AoE attacks.

Could a better build be made for general play? Absolutely, drop Assault, Tactics, and Disruptor blast for plenty of slots and power pick options to fix that. Its a good build to modify.

Ya to be clear the builds we posted in that thread are maximized for a single purpose. But you can scale them back 10-15% and still clean house while gaining more utility. You just have to embrace that CC is your protection. It works often, but not all the time. But often enough that trying to shoehorn in a bunch of defense on an AT with 0 as the starting point fails to make sense and is better left to the team to provide.

Ill/ma might be a bit more micromanagement if you want to cycle envenom blades on PA, but it still wrecks even if you miss the timing.

• Microphone 1

17 hours ago, Koopak said:

I find this point is usualy over focused on.

The build in question lacks for defenses and endurance slotting sure, but Recovery Serum alone will solve the end issue easily. A team should cover the durability issue either through support or tanking. The most id caution is taking this build solo, but it has all the tools an Ill/MA dom should have aside from AoE attacks.

Could a better build be made for general play? Absolutely, drop Assault, Tactics, and Disruptor blast for plenty of slots and power pick options to fix that. Its a good build to modify.

1 slotted hasten at 50, its not the recovery its ageless' recharge bonus too. No temps cover lack of recharge. But yes its easily modified, thats what 2nd and 3rd builds are for, i just don't recommend these builds in here because this is where players are asking for build help. If they need to ask then giving them an incarnate t4 pylon dps build doesnt seem the way to go.

On 3/8/2024 at 1:26 PM, Meknomancer said:

Love illusion primary. Don't think much of martial. If your wanting to play in melee and the only decent attack it has is the tier 2 Thunder Kick you may want to pick a more melee centric secondary. Like any other secondary except martial. Seriously every other secondary is way better in melee. Earth/psi/elec/dark/energy/ice/rad/savage/sonic/thorns. Even fire or arsenal.

On the other hand it does have some fun stuff, trick shot, envenomed, dragons tail...caltrops. You can make it work, you can make anything work in this game.

Type martial into the search bar in the domi section of this forum to check out any builds posted with this secondary. Or to read comments on how other players view it.

I did this already there is not much info on this combo there was a recent build but it was to sus for my tastes so I just wanted to know if it was even  very effective I am not expecting a ton of melee I like mixing melee and ranged. I mained an ill/rad on live.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, Frosticus said:

Ya to be clear the builds we posted in that thread are maximized for a single purpose. But you can scale them back 10-15% and still clean house while gaining more utility. You just have to embrace that CC is your protection. It works often, but not all the time. But often enough that trying to shoehorn in a bunch of defense on an AT with 0 as the starting point fails to make sense and is better left to the team to provide.

Ill/ma might be a bit more micromanagement if you want to cycle envenom blades on PA, but it still wrecks even if you miss the timing.

Yea I am all about certain ways of protection ourselves outside of passive defenses I personally do not understand this mentality anyways when it comes to many mmos. I have been playing a rad/kin corrupter I know all to well about using all your tools to keep yourself alive lol. I may have to roll something else as it seems allot do not like the aoe, then again I am either or so I do not need a ton of aoes all the time. So far the aoe damage from ma seems great.

Edited by StarseedWarrior

On 3/8/2024 at 1:26 PM, Meknomancer said:

Well the ranged attacks seem really good to in ma, your making it sound like its on the bottom of the list.

10 hours ago, StarseedWarrior said:

Well the ranged attacks seem really good to in ma, your making it sound like its on the bottom of the list.

You were asking for a melee set and after playing 3 /martial domi's i do put it bottom. Spinning kick only hits stuff if your extremely precise with it. I'm not saying its awful i had fun with mine. But your original post said you wanted something to play with in melee and all the rest have been better. Thats just my opinion. Doesn't mean its right.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Meknomancer said:

You were asking for a melee set and after playing 3 /martial domi's i do put it bottom. Spinning kick only hits stuff if your extremely precise with it. I'm not saying its awful i had fun with mine. But your original post said you wanted something to play with in melee and all the rest have been better. Thats just my opinion. Doesn't mean its right.

Yea I get that thanks for clearing that up, on discord people where saying its very powerful combo and good aoes so I am not sure where people are building all the info all of the answers where complete opposite there. I do know that kick misses though.

Edited by StarseedWarrior