Sorcery Powerset

What works best for me is whatever helps the community feel like the game does a better job representing their concepts -- 'Chaos' seems like a good one since Chaos magic in different forms is a recurring feature in Moorcockian fantasy and its derivatives in D&D or Warhammer, as well as the many mages of DC and Marvel, but also can represent a number of more science or technologically bent takes on the concept, like Douglas Adams' Improbability Field and Terry Pratchett's Ronnie Soak.

Primal would also be great since it calls to mind both primal as an occult concept of nature and fundamental forces of physics. But I'm mostly making the suggestion to help out others here. ^^

Edited by Sunsette

1 hour ago, Sunsette said:

The funny thing is that I don't remotely want a Chaos powerset for myself. It's not a kind of magic that I've ever been interested in; even when I play D&D, I tend to avoid that kind of wizard. And I don't like magical characters in comic books, with a handful of exceptions.

But I believe it's a reasonable desire and it's not something the game illustrates very well despite being a type of power that shows up in comics fairly often. It'd be great if we could all look at suggestions in the most positive reasonable light, I think.

Well said. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sunsette said:

The funny thing is that I don't remotely want a Chaos powerset for myself. It's not a kind of magic that I've ever been interested in; even when I play D&D, I tend to avoid that kind of wizard. And I don't like magical characters in comic books, with a handful of exceptions.

But I believe it's a reasonable desire and it's not something the game illustrates very well despite being a type of power that shows up in comics fairly often. It'd be great if we could all look at suggestions in the most positive reasonable light, I think.

An interesting mechanic for Chaos would be a random roll for damage type/rider.

Ex: Bind is an immobilize, but when activated it rolls to see if it’s fire (dot), cold (slow after immob ends), electric (energy/-end), darkness (neg/-tohit), stone (smash/-def), spikes (lethal/-res), psychic (-recharge) or webs (toxic/slow).

The immobilize and base damage mean it’s predictable enough in the control effects to do the role of controller, but it will look like you have a whole array of effects it’s generating (sorta like propel, but with a bit of mechanical heft).

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 minutes ago, Sunsette said:

What works best for me is whatever helps the community feel like the game does a better job representing their concepts -- 'Chaos' seems like a good one since Chaos magic in different forms is a recurring feature in Moorcockian fantasy and its derivatives in D&D or Warhammer, as well as the many mages of DC and Marvel, but also can represent a number of more science or technologically bent takes on the concept, like Douglas Adams' Improbability Field and Terry Pratchett's Ronnie Soak.

Primal would also be great since it calls to mind both primal as an occult concept of nature and fundamental forces of physics. But I'm mostly making the suggestion to help out others here. ^^

Well, that's the thing. Every set has to have assigned animations, and like Robotics which can definitely be magic but uses what is most obviously a technological presentation, a Primal Forces set can have more magic-themed animations and still not be specifically magic. While I can't say for certain, I doubt that would get anywhere near the pushback that Sorcery Blast or Arcane Blast or Magic Blast does. All anyone is asking for in their opposition, or at least all I am asking for in my opposition, is to not weight a new set as overtly magic any more than is necessary. Look at Demon Summoning. It uses runes and gates to summon demons, an overtly magic themed animation. However, the set is Demon Summoning and not Magical Conjuration Of Fiends, Arcane Summoning, or anything else that would basically preclude other origins from using it. The animations are magic-based, but the set itself, in its set and power names, does not specifically ascribe to a single origin. So something like a Primal Forces or Chaos or anything else that can encompass the wide suite of types and effects those asking for in Magic Blast or Sorcery Blast can still make use of magic-themed animations and still have a way for players to not be mages themselves and use it. Making a set as generically available to as many character types as possible is the goal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

1 minute ago, Chris24601 said:

Ex: Bind is an immobilize, but when activated it rolls to see if it’s fire (dot), cold (slow after immob ends), electric (energy/-end), darkness (neg/-tohit), stone (smash/-def), spikes (lethal/-res), psychic (-recharge) or webs (toxic/slow).

The immobilize and base damage mean it’s predictable enough in the control effects to do the role of controller, but it will look like you have a whole array of effects it’s generating (sorta like propel, but with a bit of mechanical heft).

That might be more demanding on the art to realize than I intended, and mechanically it might require multiple power redirects -- but I *do* love this idea, if it's feasible. 🙂

• Like 1

I 'am so glad I am not the only one who thinks that this should happen. there is already this type of power in the game partly used by Vanguard with Sigils. it's been time for the player to explore and expand on this with mystic, arcane, sorcery powersets that have the look and feel of what is already been seen in the game.

AssaultWeapons ARBurst.png SIGIL Round Ranged, Negative/Lethal, Foe Disorient, Cursed
Fires a large slug at a single target at very long range. This very accurate weapon hits hard, and can knock down foes.

There have been proposed powersets made by players already that would be implemented. this shows the want for these types of powersets to be made. 

Mystic Blast

image.png.add9ab1f3ad0d35df1d6d2947b18ff6d.png - Mystic Ball: A light damage/quick recharge blast power that deals energy damage. Uses the 'Translocation' animation with the 'Corruption' projectile FX.

image.png.617195278b5d42568b731e5bde03748b.png - Arcane Lighting: A moderate damage blast power that deals energy damage. Uses the lightning bolt FX & 'Arcane Bolt' animation and FX.

image.png.d55db42bb6560e0b4998faaeb45c2650.png - Mystic Force: A simple Cone Energy High Damage blast. Uses the Telekinetic Blast animation, with the FX and added FX effect. 

image.png.0ca4f49ac705b5d003e40f18c93a1163.png - Enchant: A power much like 'Ammo Swap', giving the 'Spirit Enchantment' (Dark), 'Demonic Enchantment' (Fire) and 'Eldritch Enchantment' (Psionic) powers. Like ammo swap, these powers add a secondary damage effect. Uses the 'Translocation' animation again with a hand rune FX like the costume aura.

image.png.2dddfd97a324afe4a217f6b890a2cccb.png - Arcane Font: A Target AoE power that deals energy DoT. Uses a sped-up version of the 'Summon Demon' animation but without (without the lava/stone) FX . when placed it will use the deadly apocalypse spell circle just slightly smaller

image.png.9002c643d4e43f0d464854012bc6e41a.png - Mystic Seal: A ranged DoT hold power with moderate energy damage. Uses the 'Enflame' animation, but traps them with the 'Translocate' FX.

image.png.309f4ef92aad70d977b461fa687ae7e6.png - Reality Distortion: A short range blast that does High damage. Uses the 'Irradiate’ animation and FX.

image.png.6cdc5a17a6f34f3014b9175f53cd9e69.png - Arcane Lancent: A blast with the Thunderous Blast fx with the overcharge blast FX, superior AoE energy damage.

image.png.7f6a7f77e33f344faf416c551e41aa65.png - Mystic Maelstorm: A PBAoE power with deals extreme energy. Uses the 'Gale animation and FX, but with the nova' FX as the explosion.

Edited October 16, 2022 by KingCeddd03

Mystic Assault

Mystic Control

image.png.9a75ec876d733b9f9e776efbfa9d66eb.png - Mystic Sigils: A Moderate damage/quick recharge power that deals energy damage. and immobilizes a single foe

image.png.3b2961b24ea74b12f8f8abfb172fa107.png - Sorcery Spear: A High damage Hold power that deals energy damage. Creates an energy circle around the foe

image.png.4be4c39cde5f59f8179f138efc2c8fc6.png - Mystic Threads: A AoE Moderate Energy Damage. and immobilizes all foes.

image.png.30a532bc8af2eb1a4e3c118d90ea25a2.png - Rune Of Possession: Ranged, Target Confuse

image.png.a5a3d42f56624a47b071bb5ce0abc6e4.png - Hexing Flash: A Target PBAoE disorient power and lowers accuracy and defense

image.png.5155e8830c69c4c900187d996ebc8df7.png - Sigil Circle: A  AoE DoT hold power with moderate energy damage and holds all foes.

image.png.07a4d90aed750a47b280aedb7a7ed164.png - Arcane Pillar: A Aoe Attack does high damage to all foes and reduces resistance

image.png.84a74db8669bc5964a1f757424182bd4.png - Enchanting Way:  unleashes a cone of energy causing confusion upon your enemies, wish will make them attack each other

image.png.be7dc86b97a90cfdc758cdc5af57d947.png - Ritual Familiar: A pet summoned to help you in combat as well as boost your defenses and resistance

Mystic Empowerment: By Puma

You are a master of mystic forces, and can use both new and ancient incantations to aid your allies, weaken your foes, and turn the tides of battle against your enemies.

Tier 1: Mending Incantation

targetted AoE Heal/Heal Over Time
You speak a mending spell which instantly heals a targeted ally and places a healing aura around him, sending tics of healing over time to all allies around him for a short duration.
83.35 Heal (8.5%) on target, 5 tics of 30 HoT over 30 seconds on nearby allies.  Recharge 20 seconds.
(This could use a slightly altered temporal mending animation combined with the runes aura.)

Tier 2: Unveil Anima:
Toggle Targeted AoE Ally +Resistance. Foe -dmg, -speed, -acc.
You expose the true spiritual essence of your target for all to see. If cast on an ally, the vision inspires them, giving them  strong resistance to all types of damage, and grants a moderate resistance boost to allies nearby.  If cast on a foe, they are left exposed, suffering reduced damage and recharge, and even weakening the damage of other nearby foes.
Foe cast:  -20% dmg, -30 rech
Ally cast: + 20% res on target, +12% res on nearby allies.
This could use a slightly altered Darkest Night animation, combined with the effect from Possess.  When cast on a foe it would have a dark tint, when cast on an ally it would have a bright one.

Tier 3: Ethereal Vortex:
Targetted AoE Ally +dmg, +rch.  Foe -res, +slow
You open a portal to the spiritual plane directly beneath your target, creating a patch of spiritual energy around them.  If your target is an ally, the energy within the portal will bestow  a boost to damage and recharge rate of allies within. If your target is a foe, the flames of the nether world will lower their resistances to damage and slow their movement and attack speeds. You may only have one active vortex at a time. 
Foe Cast: -30% res, -30% speed
Ally cast: +20% dmg, +20% rech
90 second Recharge, 30 second duration.
This could use a slightly altered tar patch animation (given a "flaming" outline), combined with the "dome" effect from Time Manipulation's "distortion field or perhaps an altered version of gravity's phase location based AoE.

Tier 4: Arcane Fires:
Targetted AoE Absord/ Single target Fire DoT, -tohit
You can can imbue your allies or curse a foe with arcane fires.  They become surrounded by flaming swords. Allies will find these swords offer protection, absorbing incoming damage until they dissipate.  Foes will find themselves under assault from the flames, suffering damage over time and a decreased chance tohit.
Foe Cast: -20% tohit for 30 seconds, 30 tics of .33 fire damage over 30 seconds.
Ally cast: +30% Absorb for 30 seconds.
Recharge 45 seconds
I'd LIKE this to use  the flaming swords from the Apex TF, only smaller versions that simply hover around your target.

Tier 5: Vexing Ward
You can imbue an ally or foe with a vexing spell.  This ward will protect an ally from status affects like fears,holds,confuses,sleeps, and disorients.  When used on a single foe, this ward has a strong chance to Disorient them briefly.
Foe cast: Mag 3 Disorient, 9.5 secs.
Ally cast: Mag 10 status Res. 90 secs.
16 second  Recharge
This could just use a combination of the empower demons animation from demon summoning and the "enforce morale" animation from Pain Domination on the recipient (or a standard disorient animation on a foe).

Tier 6: Judgement of the First Ones
Team Resurrect, +dmg/ foe +Negative dmg, +fear.
You call upon the judgement of the First Ones for all who have fallen in combat nearby.  Fallen allies nearby will be granted a return to life for their heroic deeds and be empowered for battle, while fallen foes will  unleash torment on their own kind.
Foe Cast: +145 Negative Energy damage, 6 second mag 3 fear.
Ally Cast:   Team Rez, +30% dmg 60 seconds.
90 second Recharge
This would use the Howling Twilight animation on allies, and the Fallout animation on a Foe.

Tier 7: Counter Spells:
PBAoE Toggle: Foe placate
You are constantly casting counter spells to incoming attacks. These spells are simple magic and don't always work, but affected foes nearby will find themselves unable to attack you.
4 second mag 2 placate, 50% chance, 4 sec mag 1 placate, 80% chance,  15 foot radius.
20 second recharge.
This would use a demon summoning rune animation at start, then he World of Pain dome animation from Pain Domination while active.

Tier 8: Celestial Winds
Ranged Facing Cone: +Regeneration/+Recovery
You can summon the celestial winds, giving you and allies in front of you a boost to your Regeneration and recovery.
Allie + 20% Regen, +20% Recover.
 Recharge 240 seconds, duration 120 seconds. Effects do not stack from the same caster.
This would use the animation from Regrowth, adding in runes from the rune aura to make it appear mystical in nature.

Tier 9:   Summon Familiars
Ally +absorb, +dmg, +Tohit
You summon familiar spirits for you and your allies. A single spirit will follow each teammate, protecting them from pain while helping them make their attacks more damaging and likely to hit.  These sprits can be attacked, and will eventually dissipate.
summon pet :familiar.  These would be "buffed up" versions of the wisp vet reward buffing pet, summoning one for each member of the team.  They would have a moderate amount of their own HP, and would give themselves and their target periodic tics of 10% absorb every .5 seconds, 18% +dmg, and 12.5% +tohit.   They would last for 90 seconds.
Recharge 255 seconds.  Duration: 90 seconds.

Mystic Armor

image.png.fe867bf3185fdf973a5b72cee59106be.png  -Sigil Protection: This power has 8 sigils placed on your body for protection from SELD+RES ( lethal & smashing damage)

image.png.aa61149bc1d0b96c4200c00831993179.png - Arcane Barrier: An energy aura protects you from ( Fear, Psionic, Disorient) +RES (DEBUFF)

image.png.a2ecb2bcbfec842d18b329e4cb9a58cc.png - Mystic Healing: Self + max HP  

image.png.92327a12ea913fa7a2baf67b95769356.png - Mystic Roots: Self Res ( Hold, Knockback, Immob, Slow, Sleep)

image.png.d708d57c4d26e055d593ba96bd1665c5.png - Sigil Rings: A power made of three circles of energy that surround you. Self +RES  ( Fire, Cold, Neg, energy) not sure to make this RES or DEF

image.png.631e78cdfd453edebcecca59b6a39e92.png - Mystic Shift: You can Phase Shift to become out of sync with normal space for a short period of time.

image.png.7327f717083dd7075df7c203ba635807.png -Meric Circle: a spell circle that protects you. Self +DEF (End Drain)

image.png.af5b2208a5e77c35a99d661400c99630.png -Living Ward: creates a high-powered Energy ward that is placed on the top of your head, that can deflect range & melee attacks

image.png.7c2a02fa1544c7e7071409b6cb7a1f43.png - Divine Ascension: Self+ Res, +DEF ( All DMG for a limited period of time)

Edited by KingCeddd03
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

5 hours ago, Rudra said:

Well, that's the thing. Every set has to have assigned animations, and like Robotics which can definitely be magic but uses what is most obviously a technological presentation, a Primal Forces set can have more magic-themed animations and still not be specifically magic. While I can't say for certain, I doubt that would get anywhere near the pushback that Sorcery Blast or Arcane Blast or Magic Blast does. All anyone is asking for in their opposition, or at least all I am asking for in my opposition, is to not weight a new set as overtly magic any more than is necessary. Look at Demon Summoning. It uses runes and gates to summon demons, an overtly magic themed animation. However, the set is Demon Summoning and not Magical Conjuration Of Fiends, Arcane Summoning, or anything else that would basically preclude other origins from using it. The animations are magic-based, but the set itself, in its set and power names, does not specifically ascribe to a single origin. So something like a Primal Forces or Chaos or anything else that can encompass the wide suite of types and effects those asking for in Magic Blast or Sorcery Blast can still make use of magic-themed animations and still have a way for players to not be mages themselves and use it. Making a set as generically available to as many character types as possible is the goal.

Your the only one pushing back on the idea.

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:
5 hours ago, Rudra said:

Expand  

You obviously have not read the thread.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

On 3/11/2024 at 4:04 PM, Player2 said:

I've tried engaging in reasonable conversation with you in the past, but it always resorts to you just being outright wrong and unable to have any sort of conversation that doesn't end with your opinion is the only one that matters.  So.... nah, I'll just continue to point out how you're wrong whenever you choose to engage with me and I feel like it.

Don't feel bad @Rudra is a stalker and is very self-absorbed. He and I have constantly had debates on this topic many times and every time he expresses his displeasure on the proposed magic/arcane powerset.

• Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

8 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

This does nothing for the power visuals.

And what does magic fire look like compared to any other fire? What does magic lightning look like compared to any other lightning? What does magic anything look like compared to the non-magic version of that anything?

Edited by Rudra
Edited to remove unnecessary "from".
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

40 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Erm, I'm pushing back on it, too.

5 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Which is why we keep suggesting it be added as a power customization option - so it does affect the power visuals.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

6 minutes ago, Rudra said:

And what does magic fire look like compared to any other fire? What does magic lightning look like compared to any other lightning? What does magic anything look like compared to the non-magic version of that anything?

Please take your word magic and separate it from the power

THROUGH MAGIC/Origin:

You can use fire is just fire linked to magic channeling.

ice

Psionic

energy 

earth

water

these differ from each other and are different powers that can be tapped into and created by magic mana. 

and so on, there is no such thing as a magic fire or whatever but you can use the power that is what we wanting sorcery through magic you and use and tap into sorcery energy.

if you can understand the basics please do not speak

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, megaericzero said:

Erm, I'm pushing back on it, too.

Which is why we keep suggesting it be added as a power customization option - so it does affect the power visuals.

I rather the power be it's own thing and not part of another power the was never designed to BE another power.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

53 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:

31 minutes ago, KingCeddd03 said:
46 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Please take your word magic and separate it from the power

THROUGH MAGIC/Origin:

You can use fire is just fire linked to magic channeling.

ice

Psionic

energy 

earth

water

these differ from each other and are different powers that can be tapped into and created by magic mana. 

and so on, there is no such thing as a magic fire or whatever but you can use the power that is what we wanting sorcery through magic you and use and tap into sorcery energy.

Correct! Because sorcery is just using mana, aether, magic energy, whatever you want to call it to create an effect, the visual of the power doesn't really matter. So you aren't talking about adding "magic fire" visuals to Fire Blast, or other magic versions of power effects to other power sets. Glad to hear that. However, you posted that using the combat only version of the Runes aura to portray magic being channeled does not change the visuals, so I am left wondering what you can mean. Because the combat only runes aura on the active hand does change the power's visuals. As would other auras like @PeregrineFalcon pointed out to be made to give more options for a magical visual. So if you are not talking about the addition of a magical effect like the runes aura gives when chosen as combat only and limited to the active hand(s) to the character, then I am left wondering what you mean by changed visuals? (Edit: Also note that on previous threads, opposition voices were amenable to alternate power animations, but you were not. Which again leaves me wondering what you are referring to as power visuals.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

10 hours ago, Rudra said:

The issue with what @Player2 is saying is that (s)he/they want a specifically magic set and is seemingly unwilling to accept alternate animations, additional auras, additional costume pieces, or any other possible fix for presenting a magic character unless their powers are specifically labeled as magic.

Not at all.  You are the one insisting that alternate animations, additional auras, and costume pieces are the solution instead of creating a new, unique powerset because you and others are unwilling to accept something that might have an implied origin because if it doesn't suit how you think of magic then what anyone else might want must be denied.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

1 minute ago, Player2 said:
10 hours ago, Rudra said:

The issue with what @Player2 is saying is that (s)he/they want a specifically magic set and is seemingly unwilling to accept alternate animations, additional auras, additional costume pieces, or any other possible fix for presenting a magic character unless their powers are specifically labeled as magic.

Not at all.  You are the one insisting that alternate animations, additional auras, and costume pieces are the solution instead of creating a new, unique powerset because you and others are unwilling to accept something that might have an implied origin because if it doesn't suit how you think of magic then what anyone else might want must be denied.

Except you aren't implying anything. You are specifying a magic set, with an intended magic name and using magic animations. Magic is not an effect, it is a source. There is no visual difference between a magical fire any any other fire. There is no visual difference between a magic anything and a non-magic anything. What makes something magic or not is whether or not magic was used to create the effect. And the magic origin covers that. If you want more ways to make your character look like (s)he/they/it is using magic, then others will agree because more options are good. And those options would come from alternate animations, more aura options, and more costume options.

If you want a multi-element/force/effect set? Propose it. You can call it Primal Forces or Chaos or Elementalism or whatever. It can even have a more magic in appearance animation. Calling it Magic <insert Blast or Control or other name> or Sorcery <insert> or Arcane <insert> is calling for a single origin power set. And I will always oppose that.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

7 hours ago, Rudra said:

Well, that's the thing. Every set has to have assigned animations, and like Robotics which can definitely be magic but uses what is most obviously a technological presentation, a Primal Forces set can have more magic-themed animations and still not be specifically magic. While I can't say for certain, I doubt that would get anywhere near the pushback that Sorcery Blast or Arcane Blast or Magic Blast does.

A powerset could literally be called Spellcasting and have all the handwaving casting of magic type animations and it would be no different to assign it an origin of Technology than it is to assign the Magic origin to Robotics.  It is incumbent on the players to decide what and how and why and all that fun stuff that leads to detailed backstory (or not).

Casting spells animations and effects with Technology?  Oh, I've got special high tech gloves that replicate the way true spellcasters gather and discharge magical energies for specific effects.  Or maybe it's just completely non-magical energy that the tech makes look like magic for the sake of fooling people.

With Mutation?  Mutant power is to innately use magic without training.

Science?  It's not true magic, it's just a science you don't understand.

Natural?  Like peacebringers, maybe the character is an alien (or otherdimensional being) that wields magic-like abilities naturally.

This is what gets me irritated about this pushback against the apparent "magic origin" powerset ideas... because if it looks like magic it MUST be Magic origin and thus too limited, but literally ANYTHING else can be magic or any other origin with any stretch of the imagination.  So this is why I say you are wrong about everything.  If you want to be willfully narrowminded about how origins work for different players and powersets, that's your problem and you need to stop trying to make it everyone else's.

• Thumbs Down 1

7 hours ago, Chris24601 said:

Well then, go start a post suggesting a Chaos powerset.

• Thumbs Down 1

1 hour ago, KingCeddd03 said:

Don't feel bad @Rudra is a stalker and is very self-absorbed. He and I have constantly had debates on this topic many times and every time he expresses his displeasure on the proposed magic/arcane powerset.

Don't forget, he is inherently wrong about everything.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

11 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Except you aren't implying anything. You are specifying a magic set, with an intended magic name and using magic animations. Magic is not an effect, it is a source. There is no visual difference between a magical fire any any other fire. There is no visual difference between a magic anything and a non-magic anything. What makes something magic or not is whether or not magic was used to create the effect. And the magic origin covers that. If you want more ways to make your character look like (s)he/they/it is using magic, then others will agree because more options are good. And those options would come from alternate animations, more aura options, and more costume options.

If you want a multi-element/force/effect set? Propose it. You can call it Primal Forces or Chaos or Elementalism or whatever. It can even have a more magic in appearance animation. Calling it Magic <insert Blast or Control or other name> or Sorcery <insert> or Arcane <insert> is calling for a single origin power set. And I will always oppose that.

I want a Magic powerset with blatantly obvious spellcasting animations, and I want to assign it the Tech origin on my character just to irk you.

OR... I wanted a new, unique magical-themed powerset that could also be used in ways with power customization that would not necessarily have the magical animations/effects if the player chose not to have them.  Why not have the default be the generic look and make the spellcasting the option?  Well why do robots have to look inherently robotic?  Why couldn't they have looked as generic as the Phantom Army illusions and just say they were complicated androids?  Why do powers from Traps have to have an inherently technological look to them instead of being generic boxes that could be explained as filled with technology, magical energies, stored mutant power, or whatever?  It doesn't, but the set was proposed as a magical-themed one... making it have generic use options is a concession for narrowminded people who rail against the idea of a powerset having an implied magical origin.

But I don't care about concessions anymore.  I would absolutely rather have a set with nothing but the spellcasting animations because there's no pleasing people like you anyway, so why try and ask the developers to put in more work that wouldn't appease anyone?

SPELLCASTING POWERSET, WOOOOOOOOOO!!!

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

31 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Casting spells animations and effects with Technology?  Oh, I've got special high tech gloves that replicate the way true spellcasters gather and discharge magical energies for specific effects.  Or maybe it's just completely non-magical energy that the tech makes look like magic for the sake of fooling people.

Technology does not cast spells. Technology does not use spells, though someone can use technology to imitate using spells. So a Spellcasting set would limit the character to using magic or using technology to imitate being able to use magic, which goes counter to a great many technology characters.

31 minutes ago, Player2 said:

With Mutation?  Mutant power is to innately use magic without training.

Correct, a mutant can have the ability to wield mana, aether, or whatever name. That doesn't mean the mutant casts spells. Just channeling any other form of energy, the mutant simply does. So you are again pigeonholing to a specific interpretation of that mutant.

33 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Science?  It's not true magic, it's just a science you don't understand.

It's science. They understand it. And why would they wield it like they were casting a spell when  there are much better ways for them to do so? Again, you are requiring them to use magic.

34 minutes ago, Player2 said:

Natural?  Like peacebringers, maybe the character is an alien (or otherdimensional being) that wields magic-like abilities naturally.

The entities that wield such power naturally don't typically wave their hands and intone incantations. They simply wield the power to achieve their goals, like a mutant would. So again, you are requiring the natural to wield spells as if a magic origin character.

37 minutes ago, Player2 said:

This is what gets me irritated about this pushback against the apparent "magic origin" powerset ideas... because if it looks like magic it MUST be Magic origin and thus too limited, but literally ANYTHING else can be magic or any other origin with any stretch of the imagination. 

No. It having a magic specific name with magic specific named powers using magic themed animations is what makes the set mandatory magic origin. Break that grouping and it suddenly opens up a wide variety of interpretation for players to use.

25 minutes ago, Player2 said:

I want a Magic powerset with blatantly obvious spellcasting animations, and I want to assign it the Tech origin on my character just to irk you.

Just like everyone else, you can use what the game provides however you see fit as long as it abides by the terms of agreement and code of conduct. Be my guest.

27 minutes ago, Player2 said:

I wanted a new, unique magical-themed powerset that could also be used in ways with power customization that would not necessarily have the magical animations/effects if the player chose not to have them.  Why not have the default be the generic look and make the spellcasting the option?  Well why do robots have to look inherently robotic?  Why couldn't they have looked as generic as the Phantom Army illusions and just say they were complicated androids?  Why do powers from Traps have to have an inherently technological look to them instead of being generic boxes that could be explained as filled with technology, magical energies, stored mutant power, or whatever?  It doesn't, but the set was proposed as a magical-themed one... making it have generic use options is a concession for narrowminded people who rail against the idea of a powerset having an implied magical origin.

See two comments up in this post. Also, see my post quoted below:

8 hours ago, Rudra said:

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 2