Noob confused

Hi all,

I just started play this game but i'm a bit confused...

I can't find any main storyline, just finding some missions at the central building but they're almost all the same and a bit boring to level up this way...

Is there something wrong I'm doing ? Can you point me to any new-comers guide focused to "what to do" ?

Thanks

Welcome to Paragon City and the Rogue Isles!

City of Heroes isn't like newer MMORPGs.  If you're playing hero side, there isn't a main storyline.  If you want a storyline, you should play a villain.  Even then, the villain side storyline isn't like newer MMORPGs, it's less overt than the storylines of newer MMORPGs but there is one.

2 minutes ago, alphaulfric said:

thank you for the welcome!
uhm, so all the content available are just those quests ?

For lower levels, yes.  As a hero, you can eventually go to a zone called The Hollows called around level 6, where you'll find a little storyline, and a zone called Faultline around level 15 where you'll find another little storyline.  Then another zone called Striga Isle around level 20 with another little storyline, and another zone called Croatoa around level 25 with another little storyline.  But they're all independent and not very long.  Nothing game encompassing or grandiose like Star Wars: The Old Republic or Final Fantasy XIV.

Again, villain side has a storyline from the start, but it's more subtle than newer MMORPGs.

There is a third side that has what you're looking for, called Praetoria or gold side, which is several years newer than hero and villain sides, but you won't find teams there and it only goes to level 35-40 where you have to become either a hero or villain.  It's also significantly more challenging than playing a hero, and a bit more challenging than playing a villain, so it's not advised for new players, but it is there.

ok thank you for all the tips!

Yeah actually Star Wars: The Old Republic has the most interesting storyline between every MMOs, in my opinion ❤️ 

Anyway ok i'll try to pass this boring situation XD

Thanks

• Thumbs Up 1

Welcome to the game!

CoH is an old game, and some of the older content is pretty pedestrian by modern standards, so it can be hard to pick out a path with the better stories.  But luckily, there's a fantastic guide written by @Gulbasaurcalled The Good Missions Guide: A Heroic Levelling Journey through Story Arcs, which will be a big help in sifting out some of the more, um, historic content.

Reunion player, ex-Defiant.

AE SFMA: Zombie Ninja Pirates! (#18051)

Regeneratio delenda est!

Also while the storyline itself may seem lackluster there is a ton of lore and backstory to just about everything.

Also please remember that 99% of comic book hero plot is 

Stop the bad guy, save the day.

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

And there is architect and taskforces and street sweeping and newspaper missions and tip missions and holiday events.... many ways to level a hero/villain.  If in doubt give a shout in LFG channel or there is a helper in you contacts tab too to tp you to eligible contacts.  You can find a path or make a new one for the next hero/villain you make.

WELCOME TO THE GAME!!!

Edited by starro

"She who lives by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral, all too often dies by the cybernetic monstrosity powered by living coral."  -Doc Buzzsaw

Pineapple 🍍 Pizza 🍕 is my thumbs up. 

On 3/24/2024 at 11:03 AM, alphaulfric said:

I can't find any main storyline

A good resource is the Wiki, specifically this section on the various story arcs that are available.  Welcome to CoH, now go hunt, kill skuls!

Edited by biostem