SG issues, recruiting, storage, retention, socializing, teaming

On 4/12/2024 at 12:05 PM, Triumphant said:

RP'ers will always have a good reason to join a supergroup.  If you're not an RP'er, there are probably still plenty of reasons you might find to join one.  Other people may never want to belong to a SG, and that's okay too.

I would love to see someone make a SG which could perhaps be Called The Isekin; and every character in the group has an origin of being from an Earth where City of Heroes and other MMOs are just that...MMOs...

1 minute ago, Techwright said:

Really need a soundbite tied to the latter:  "5...4...3...2..."

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

On 4/12/2024 at 3:12 AM, Clave Dark 5 said:

If we could store anything in the Vault like we can a base

On 4/13/2024 at 1:43 AM, WumpusRat said:

If they could turn the Vault into a mass shared storage facility for all your characters

I would like to see a combination of these two ideas with the caveats that 1) the 'all your characters' would be by shard and 2) you could allow access to another @global on that shard so you could share your farmer account's drops with your rp account characters.

• Like 1

One of my takes from this thread is the issue of personal storage - which almost everyone seems to desire.

I can't help but feel that increasing it or in any way allowing more to be stored damages the economy of the game, by removing stuff from circulation. The more personal storage there is, the fewer items on the MP, so the prices go up across the board and exponentially for the rarer items.

As others have remarked, at a practical level, there's little to work for in actually getting a base or SG off the ground, meaning that the group element of supergroup is pretty redundant. To me, that's the key to storage but even on live I recall there were many issues with people taking stored items from base storage that others felt they were not entitled to.

The only way I see to resolve this is likely to be highly unpopular; restore the need for Group Prestige - base items need to be paid for  (and is it even a practicable suggestion?) and also potentially to reduce storage capacity across the board forcing players to prioritise and where necessary unload their shinies.

Given that would likely cause uproar, I can't see much better alternative than maintaining the status quo

The Ghost Slaying Axe. The very best there is. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherspectre in the room, accept no substitutes.

I actually omitted a very important consideration in the above:

SG Bases - many players LOVELOVELOVE building, and produce wonderful, amazing results and other players (like me) while lacking the skilz/patience/ability to learn base building get great pleasure from them and the love, attention to detail and passion some have for a beautifully crafted base.

That's actually a significant reason not to tinker too much with what we have now.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Retired Community Rep
On 5/4/2024 at 5:05 PM, Glacier Peak said:

Hopefully nobody knocks me out or I go and forget the password... again.

Some people put it in the MOTD of the sg so it doesn't get lost. But it's the same number as before, so remaking it won't hurt anything.

Also, put it into the directory, then you can look it up if you lose it. 🙂

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dacy said:

Some people put it in the MOTD of the sg so it doesn't get lost. But it's the same number as before, so remaking it won't hurt anything.

Also, put it into the directory, then you can look it up if you lose it. 🙂

This is what I do! I actually think you told me about this years ago, it's been in my SG MoTD ever since 😄

• Like 1

On 4/11/2024 at 12:33 PM, Snarky said:

A) a lot of people want a personal storage base

This is me.  And I do wish I was still connected more strongly to a group of regular players, although I don't mine PUGing every time I play.   

Plus, it took me a really long time to get my enhancement storage locker wall set up right.

image.thumb.png.a34b3d27d1110d60572e598e95490aab.png

Active on Excelsior:

Prismatic Monkey - Seismic / Martial Blaster, Shadow Dragon Monkey - Staff / Dark Brute, Murder Robot Monkey - Arachnos Night Widow

I think it's important to remember that the internet and online life is significantly more mature than it was when SGs were introduced - Facebook, Social Media and especially Discord have been game changers for building communities.

The SG as originally conceived was designed for friends to play together but since then other ways to play have superceded the SG in many ways. But, as MP3s came along, vinyl and cassettes didn't just go obsolete, and still have their fans and purposes. People can still form SGs and do all the things SGs do - including have shiny costumes looking alike if wanted. But we should remember that life moves on and we have to adapt. 

Perhaps the better question is what do you want to make your SG? Nothing is stopping you for running one old school or you simply can own it as a storage dump. No wrong answers.

On 4/11/2024 at 1:30 PM, Lunar Ronin said:

SCoRE/Resurgence killed the reasons for supergroups to exist.  By removing prestige and making supergroup bases available to all for free, there's nothing for a supergroup to work towards, and there are no other benefits for belonging to a supergroup.  There's nothing that a supergroup can provide that an in-game global channel and either a Discord server or web forum and Mumble or TeamSpeak server (if you want to old school it), can't.  Not only that, but as you've pointed out, you actually hurt yourself by joining a supergroup with other people as you limit your own storage instead of just using your own personal supergroup base.

There is now literally no reason for supergroups to exist.  Not a single one.  I personally don't mind, but if people want to bring back the concept of supergroups to Homecoming, then they need a complete and total overhaul.  There needs to be some tangible benefit to belonging to one, and right now that simply doesn't exist.

It's funny, but I've never joined a supergroup for any of the reasons you listed. For me, the prestige grind and cost of a base were annoying, not fun. The reason I join a SG is to enjoy running missions and spending time with friends and family in game. That is the ONLY reason I ever joined a SG, so there is "literally" a great reason for supergroups to exist.  🙂

My wife and daughter and I have several groups and bases (different themes). I'd say the current SG structure is amazing and a lot more fun than the old one. We can create the bases we want for the themes we enjoy. I also have a solo SG (for my solo characters) that is set up for their backstories. It's a lot of fun, and well worth it.

• Like 2

We're playing City of Heroes, not City of Bases. Why waste time earning Prestige when you can use that time working on a toon? Besides, bases still have storage bins and other useful things, like NPC vendors and tailors. If anyone misses the Prestige system, there's nothing stopping them from grinding for no reason at all.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2024 at 3:02 AM, Scarlet Shocker said:

The only way I see to resolve this is likely to be highly unpopular; restore the need for Group Prestige - base items need to be paid for  (and is it even a practicable suggestion?) and also potentially to reduce storage capacity across the board forcing players to prioritise and where necessary unload their shinies.

Given that would likely cause uproar, I can't see much better alternative than maintaining the status quo

I would absolutely hate this--so would my wife and daughter, who have spent a lot of time creatively building and populating our SG bases. The prestige grind on the old servers might have worked for large groups, but it was horrible for small groups. I'd vote to never go back to that grind again.

5 minutes ago, nightroarer said:

I would absolutely hate this--so would my wife and daughter, who have spent a lot of time creatively building and populating our SG bases. The prestige grind on the old servers might have worked for large groups, but it was horrible for small groups. I'd vote to never go back to that grind again.

that was rather my point