Whirlwind 2nd request - Causing a sort of motion sickness due to spin

I brought this up about a year ago.

Yea I am  light weight, for some reason over an extended period of time I start to get cold sweats and upset stomach looking at my screen with this power on. I can't play first person shooters either for this reason or go on looping roller coasters. 

Wondering if Whirlwind could get a optional graphic of just wind spinning around the character like a mini tornado.

I just found this in a Skyrim post and thought it would help describe what I am saying
 image.png.19dc72203148f459d34383d8d341fb74.png

• Like 2

what you are describing is called

<drumroll please>

Virtual sickness or cyber sickness or simulator sickness (take your pick)

it affects up to 30% of the population (i am one of them)

I cant do VR glasses or 1st person shooters.

I don't know if there's any in game setting that will help you 

perhaps @Rudra does (our resident under the hood genius that he is)

however irl there are a few things u can do.

Dramamine or some other motion sickness medication works great if you can fight off the drowsies (not the dark elf kind)

Amazon.com: Hion Motion Sickness Glasses - Relieve Carsickness, Airsickness, Seasickness - Anti Nausea Vertigo Glasses, No Lens Liquid Glasses for Adults or Kids (1 Pair Without Bags) : Health & Household

lastly the most difficult thing that i know for sure works is, exposure therapy. 

just do a little bit then a little more etc..... until your body kinda get used to it

be warned that because this is a physiological issue the exposure therapy is not permanent.

of your stop exposing yourself to the stimuli your body will start rejecting it again once re-exposed 

• Thumbs Down 1

Its easy to criticize a suggestion but can you suggest an alternative?

I personally don't like Whirlwind. The animation is silly for instance. However, I do understand why they animated it the way they did. It is the super speedster's run so fast you make a whirlwind power except with spinning to avoid the problems of animating a character running in circles even when moving around.

I would normally be against changing a power's appearance to deviate from theme, but in this case? I'm not opposed. I can head canon it as the character is moving so fast either running tiny circles or spinning that the our eyes can't keep up. So we only see the after effect and the character standing there inside. More options are a good thing. (Edit: Though maybe a slight blurring of the character to imply their movement would help sell that head canon.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Thumbs Up 1

I have not used Whirlwind, but thank you for the warning!  My inner ear is broken (Meniere’s Disease) so I get dizzy and/or motion suck at the drop of a hat.  I would never be able to use this power without a change.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Honestly you'd probably be better off asking (or "also asking") folks who can mod the game to see if they can create, alter or disable the animation.

If the devs create an alternate animation, they'd likely have it as a power customization - which means the person using it would have to change it, and there's no way for them to know "oh, I'm going to be teaming with so and so" (and even if they did, no guarantee they'd change the animation... or wouldn't use it on purpose. With Sonic's original graphics, once it became known it was triggering migraines in people, some ... *individuals* took great joy in applying it, *especially* to people who asked them not to.)

With a mod (via city mod installer) it doesn't matter what they do, you'd see the mod graphic instead.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Honestly you'd probably be better off asking (or "also asking") folks who can mod the game to see if they can create, alter or disable the animation.

If the devs create an alternate animation, they'd likely have it as a power customization - which means the person using it would have to change it, and there's no way for them to know "oh, I'm going to be teaming with so and so" (and even if they did, no guarantee they'd change the animation... or wouldn't use it on purpose. With Sonic's original graphics, once it became known it was triggering migraines in people, some ... *individuals* took great joy in applying it, *especially* to people who asked them not to.)

With a mod (via city mod installer) it doesn't matter what they do, you'd see the mod graphic instead.

Without a doubt that would be doable. Even if there was no graphics.. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Saiyajinzoningen said:

what you are describing is called

<drumroll please>

Virtual sickness or cyber sickness or simulator sickness (take your pick)

it affects up to 30% of the population (i am one of them)

I cant do VR glasses or 1st person shooters.

I don't know if there's any in game setting that will help you 

perhaps @Rudra does (our resident under the hood genius that he is)

however irl there are a few things u can do.

Dramamine or some other motion sickness medication works great if you can fight off the drowsies (not the dark elf kind)

Amazon.com: Hion Motion Sickness Glasses - Relieve Carsickness, Airsickness, Seasickness - Anti Nausea Vertigo Glasses, No Lens Liquid Glasses for Adults or Kids (1 Pair Without Bags) : Health & Household

lastly the most difficult thing that i know for sure works is, exposure therapy. 

just do a little bit then a little more etc..... until your body kinda get used to it

be warned that because this is a physiological issue the exposure therapy is not permanent.

of your stop exposing yourself to the stimuli your body will start rejecting it again once re-exposed 

To be honest. Too much to do for a game.

Not gonna take pills..
I wear glasses already, not going double glasses.

But i appreciate the effort and time in all of this. 
I might have both cyber and motion as boats make me sick as well.

• Thumbs Up 1