Shōgun (Hulu/Disney+)

Based on the Best Selling 1975 historical fiction novel by James Clavell; Shōgun is set in 1600 Japan. With the death of the Taiko, and his heir being only 11 years old, Japan is ruled by a council of five reagents from the five most powerful clans. Portugal has established trade with Japan through the discovery of the Straight of Magellan and the Catholic Church tightly controls that trade with Japan and uses it to enrich itself and meddle in "local" politics. Japan stands on the brink of war as the five reagents scheme and plot amongst themselves. A mysterious English ship is found adrift near the fishing village of Ajiro, setting into motion events that will change Japan forever.

I just finished watching this series and I cannot recommend it enough. The production, writing, acting, and story are all top-notch. I've read the novel and seen the NBC miniseries growing up. In fact, I watched it with my dad and those are some of the best memories I have with him. I still have his copy and like most copies that have survived to a certain age, it has collapsed into two separate but equal length halves. The novel is kind of infamous for doing that. Seriously, it's 1210 pages long. Worth reading, before or after you watch either of the series available. If you like Japanese samurai movies or historical fiction, you should give this version a try.

If you do watch this, please note that there are two versions. An English dubbed version, where the spoken Japanese is dubbed, and a subtitled version. I recommend the subtitled version as it adds a little more depth to the main character and story.

Edit: Forgot to mention that you need the Hulu/Disney+/ESPN bundle if you want to watch this on Disney+.

Edited by Frostbiter
  • Like 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Frostbiter - Ice/Ice Blaster

Throneblade - Broadsword/Dark Armor Brute

Silver Mantra - Martial Arts/Electric Armor Scrapper

Haven't finished, but have been watching this. I remember the mini-series back in the proverbial day, and I did read the novel so long ago that I don't recall the details. Added it to my reading list though as I'll probably get more out of it now than I did when I was a young teenager. 🤣

2 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

and I cannot recommend it enough.

Ditto. Production in every craft is phenomenal. Cast, on top of being a veritable "Who's-Who" of Japanese actors, are all completely on-point. Been a while since I've seen a series this well made.

2 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

I recommend the subtitled version as it adds a little more depth to the main character and story.

Also this. Only way to watch it, imo.

• Like 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

Yeah it's quite good. And I'm always against dubbing, but for this even more than usual.

Originally wanted to watch this hoping to knock the book out of the infinite queue since it's so long. Have since learned it's only one of 6 books, 5 of which are huge. Le sigh.

37 minutes ago, Mr. Vee said:

Yeah it's quite good. And I'm always against dubbing, but for this even more than usual.

Originally wanted to watch this hoping to knock the book out of the infinite queue since it's so long. Have since learned it's only one of 6 books, 5 of which are huge. Le sigh.

I've only ever read Shogun. From what I understand the other novels are set in different times and places with the theme always being European involvement in Asia. There are some reoccurring characters but they are self-contained stories.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

Pretty sure all of his books qualify for the adjective "Huge." 🤣

List of the "Asian Saga" for those interested:

The generally accepted Series order is Chronological, and not by publication date. You will find the numbering on the books reflects the chronological (or reading) order:

1. Shōgun: set in feudal Japan, 1600
2. Tai-Pan: set in Hong Kong, 1841
3. Gai-Jin: set in Japan, 1862
4. King Rat: set in a Japanese POW camp, Singapore, 1945
5. Noble House: set in Hong Kong, 1963
6. Whirlwind: set in Iran, 1979

https://www.goodreads.com/series/121829-asian-saga-chronological-order

I've also only read the one.

• Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

You see a mousetrap? I see free cheese and a f$%^ing challenge.

17 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Never read the book.

Watch the mini-series in the 1980s.

Those that have seen both visual productions (and can remember anything of the 1980s version): how do they compare?

New one is better.

• Like 2

On 4/25/2024 at 4:28 AM, BrandX said:

New one is better.

Bet it doesn't have full on Richard Chamberlain Riker Beard action, though. Rawr.

shogun-richard-chamberlain-1014x570.thumb.jpg.ed8e6f10cd40bd00927d11c74c6b25bf.jpg

edit: I also don't know why he's dressed like a corporate logo for a particularly dull hotel or insurance chain. This is what you young whippersnappers don't get: we were wearing either dayglo (or black 'n' purple in my case) because everything else in the Eighties was beige. Beige or burnt orange. ALL OF IT. The walls. Car interiors. Even some of the people, and we don't want them coming back...)

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Haha 2

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

10 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

Bet it doesn't have full on Richard Chamberlain Riker Beard action, though. Rawr.

shogun-richard-chamberlain-1014x570.thumb.jpg.ed8e6f10cd40bd00927d11c74c6b25bf.jpg

edit: I also don't know why he's dressed like a corporate logo for a particularly dull hotel or insurance chain. This is what you young whippersnappers don't get: we were wearing either dayglo (or black 'n' purple in my case) because everything else in the Eighties was beige. Brown and beige. ALL OF IT. The walls. Car interiors. Even some of the people, and we don't want them coming back...)

I had to do a bit of internet sleuthing but apparently the drab tones of the 70's and early 80's were a result of everyone still being dizzy from the color explosion that was the 60's. New technologies and materials in the 60's led to much cheaper bright colors that were novel. (Also: drugs and hippie culture) By the late 80's, early 90's the earth-tone trend had reversed again. From my short dive into interior decorating in the modern age, "russet pheasant" is making a big comeback.

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG:

My buddy tells the story of seeing Siouxsie in London in the 80s and every person in the place was in all black except for one teen right in the middle of the crowd wearing a bright purple raincoat. My head canon now believes that to have been @ThaOGDreamWeaver and i won't be convinced otherwise

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Frostbiter said:

From my short dive into interior decorating in the modern age, "russet pheasant" is making a big comeback

I'm aware. This displeases me. I may be goth (black is such a happy colour...) but pretty happy around anything and anyone that likes to stand out. Bought new place with my partner a few years back: the estate agent tried to apologise for the previous owner's décor, but I can quite happily live with gold pineapples and psychedelic parrots. Even added lustre paint so the the neutral-toned walls now gleam just a little bit gold.

11 hours ago, Mr. Vee said:

My head canon now believes that to have been @ThaOGDreamWeaver and i won't be convinced otherwise

I regret to dispel your illusions, but I have and probably never will have looked quite as cool as Siouxsie. Think more black leather shorts, pointy boots, waistcoat top, black and purple belts and detailing, and big flappy coat over the top (because cold when not clubbing, and also big and flappy.) Also deep crimson hair, partly because I loved old movies with dangerous redheads, mainly from falling asleep in the bath with henna in.

...but hauling this thing back to the topic in hand...

Have now tapped up episodes 1 and 2, and yes, classic facial hair spotting aside, liking it a lot. There's more balance between Blackthorne and his captors, hosts, and allies, and you feel like you're being drawn into the chess game along with Blackthorne and the crew.

Production-wise, costumes look less like they came from an 80s branch of Woolie's/Walmart's bed linen section, talkie scenes get the treatment they deserve, the action is properly dynamic and involving, and everything looks an awful lot better in HD Digital/film transfer. The location shots are gorgeous... if deceptive: I've always wanted to visit Japan, but seems Vancouver is capable of doubling for more or less everywhere. Again. (ティムホートンズはどこですか, as they say.)

Cast are uniformly pretty good so far, particularly Hiroyuki Sanada oozing menace by the bucketload as Toranaga, and Blackthorne, Mariko and Yabushige all grabbing the camera in their different ways. Will try not to binge the whole thing in a weekend and make it last a bit.

Edited by ThaOGDreamWeaver
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

WAKE UP YA MISCREANTS AND... HEY, GET YOUR OWN DAMN SIGNATURE.

Look out for me being generally cool, stylish and funny (delete as applicable) on Excelsior.

2 hours ago, ThaOGDreamWeaver said:

...but hauling this thing back to the topic in hand...

I dunno about that. I feel like everyone needs to bear witness to the most common couch in early 80's America again:

b65c4e3ea3a24d97c0f88fc9a747e16b--deck-f

• Haha 1
  • Moose 1
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

Torchbearer

Discount Heroes SG: