First Time Farming Tanker help

Neokenshin

So I've never built or played Tanker ever. I had been looking at info for trying to make a good farming build for other characters because money making has not been easy. I built a Fire/Kin Controller because I heard they were good, but then read on Reddit that Tankers are now the meta for farming, supposedly a Stone/Rad or Elec/Rad tanker. 

Can anyone provide any good tanker builds I can use to break into farming? Any help is greatly appreciated.

You don't have to farm if that's just not what you're into. If you need some tips for alternatives, there are write ups in the guides section for other ways of making money that aren't farming. I personally focus on merits and don't consider an alt "done" until they have at least tier 3, if not tier 4 incarnates for all slots. That forces some more time spent at 50 so I can make some extra cash.

Posted (edited)

At this point I make inf by converting crap recipes into good IOs and selling them, but fire/* is the classic gold standard fire farmer (i do have a rad/fire brute farmer for powerleveling alts to ~20ish if i dont want to do it legit).

other good tank primaries for S/L farming would be rad/ for the 2 proc bombs and bio/ for offensive stance

for secondaries probably SS(rage + foot stomp), Fire(two pbaoes), maybe the new battle axe(so much recharge because of the FF proc)

Edited by mcdoogss

Posted (edited)

The great thing about farming as a Tanker is just about any armor can be made to withstand your typical farm, and they can be made to clear just as well as Brutes while popping reds (which you should be doing if active farming).

I run a Bio/Staff, for no other reason than I find it more interesting than your run of the mill Fire Armor/Rad Melee whatever. It clears about the same.

Here it is:

biostaff.thumb.png.1500423c57cc18cc3fa00fa0e14572d2.png

new proto extra premium farmer - Tanker (Bio Armor - Staff Fighting).mbd

Edited by Spaghetti Betty
I added the wrong build!
  • Like 1

Mainly on Excelsior. Find me in game @Spaghetti Betty.

AE Arcs:  Big Magic Blowout! 41612 | The Meta-Human Wrestling Association 44683 | MHWA Part 2 48577

Click to look at my pets!

You don't need to farm if you don't want, but you can farm if you do want. You can build a character that works for all content and then do farming if you feel like it or go out and play with others or go solo missions.

My signature has some tips for money making.

If you do want to farm with a Tanker then I'd go with a Fire/Fire and depending on how it's build you can throw four AoEs every few seconds while still having good single target. If the main goal is to farm you can skimp and cut some corners.

I would still advise to check the Farm Fresh thread over the Guides section of the forums since it's all farmers with tips and builds being posted.

On 5/12/2024 at 6:12 AM, Neokenshin said:

So I've never built or played Tanker ever. I had been looking at info for trying to make a good farming build for other characters because money making has not been easy. I built a Fire/Kin Controller because I heard they were good, but then read on Reddit that Tankers are now the meta for farming, supposedly a Stone/Rad or Elec/Rad tanker. 

Can anyone provide any good tanker builds I can use to break into farming? Any help is greatly appreciated.

First, -how- entrenched with farming min/maxing do you want to go?     Farming's general metric is influence per hour for influence farming(yes there are other forms of farming and dont require a level 50 but can earn millions of influence... just not 50 farmer level).

With that in mind, the differences between tank and brutes for influence per hour on builds isnt very dramatic in their relative differences.  Some same builds between a tank and a brute can be simply a million or less influence per hour others a few million.  There's been various threads about people's testing in these regards but ultimately people even settle for less than optimal builds and choices just simply because it matches them best.

Next, we also have to make distinctions between active and passive(afk) farms.  Active being the ones you are moving around actively in the farm, clicking to hit etc.  Passive farms you are dropping your farmer in the mission, activating its attack(s) to be auto, and then waiting for the mission timer(most of these missions(more on that) run on timers) to end and returning from afk to do the mission up again.

And lastly we have to speak to the missions themselves.   There are tons of farmer missions out there.  Some include EB's(as some builds can efficiently kill them quick enough), others just bosses being the highest to accomodate their builds.   Some prefer long maps where they can killl constantly without resetting missions(ie down time from influence earning).   Others perfer short maps and the trasitions(like AFK ones.   And others just simply do what someone else recommended to them without really figuring things out.  

Additionally with this, how the mobs are designed is a factor too.  2 going on 3 years ago many had to shift to different missions or make new ones or revamp old ones because the fire sword related attacks added -def causing defense cascades and death very easily.  Also there were other changes made as well around that time that essentially had players dipping into many other power sets powers to make their mobs capable of farm worthy.  In some instances, this meant that some maps made since then have mobs that arent necessarily giving full 100% exp on kill but "near 100%.  Other missions have 100% but some builds will find it a little harder to down at the same speeds they used to have on other maps.

Its really then a puzzling out of the maths to get your toon survivable, clearing a mission efficiently for the most influence per hour.

But again, -how- people do those puzzles varies.  Some dont care if its the absolute best exp per hour for their mission or their toon but happy it just clears.

Everyone will give you different answers then because, like much else in this game, there isnt one solid cookie cutter option that matches everyone.

As for your thoughts from reddit, one is more afk farming focus consideration(and has lots of caveats) the other also has some caveats.  Both are also better suited to S/L vs fire though both can be built to be fire farmers as well.

There are reasons why as well Fire/ tends to be the most common choice for fire farms and as well why Radiation/ is also an easy common choice for s/l.  

As for melee's  Radiation is common because with an armor set having an aoe damage toggle, you're getting 2 damage toggles at once.  Also radiation has containment with is often underestimated it its extra(albeit small) splash damage.  

However there are other sets with just as strong or stronger damage capabilities depending on factors mentioned above(mission/mobs-build, utilities and other aoes in their sets,  fast aoe recharge etc.  

So you're asking for builds but you're needing to be more specific on what sort of farming you're truly wanting to do, and whether you're wanting to even go into this sort of efforts for influence farming if you're really not necessarily needing(or wanting) to kit out all toons you make to 50 anyway(as there are other methods that can just earn you 10's of millions on a toon as you level it covering just your standard IO (non set) needs) and have lots left over to bank.

There's also a thread or two in other sections on farmers and builds you should look into.

• Microphone 1

On 5/12/2024 at 8:21 AM, Spaghetti Betty said:

I run a Bio/Staff

My current favourite Tanker is a Bio/Staff and I can second the farming potential!

(I just wish Mids actually showed accurate stats without me having to click all the buffs in turn and toggle half a billion stances off and back on again...)

• Moose 1

• 3 weeks later