Massive rubberbanding issues.

Robothenri

Hi all, wondered if this is a known problem. For the last 2 days CoH has become totally unplayable due to severe rubberbanding issues. I've tried live and test with a variety of characters and they're all the same. I can move for about 5 seconds and then I'm rebounded back to where I was. It's as though the game is caching my position every 5 seconds and then resetting me to that place.

I've not changed anything in the last two days. I'm not having any other issues with internet or the pc, I can happily watch online tv with no issue, I tried 'that other superhero game' that I was playing until the new CoH was available, no issues playing that, it's just City of Heroes that seems affected. It's a complete show stopper, the game is unplayable.

Anyone having similar experiences or know what the problem is?

I get it frequently in Atlas but not typically anywhere else.

I'm getting it everywhere. I spent about 2 minutes trying to superjump from the Steel Canyon university entrance to Wentworths and soon as I landed, it constantly sprung me back to the uni entrance. I literally could not land at wentworths and stay there.

Hi all, wondered if this is a known problem. For the last 2 days CoH has become totally unplayable due to severe rubberbanding issues. I've tried live and test with a variety of characters and they're all the same. I can move for about 5 seconds and then I'm rebounded back to where I was. It's as though the game is caching my position every 5 seconds and then resetting me to that place.

I've not changed anything in the last two days. I'm not having any other issues with internet or the pc, I can happily watch online tv with no issue, I tried 'that other superhero game' that I was playing until the new CoH was available, no issues playing that, it's just City of Heroes that seems affected. It's a complete show stopper, the game is unplayable.

Anyone having similar experiences or know what the problem is?

I need more information but my experience has been that outside of a mapserver issue about to happen almost all rubberbanding/lag issues have been problems with my PC or local network connection.

Are you playing in full screen or windowed mode?

Have you tried reducing your graphic settings?

What version of Windows are you using?

A good place to start would be to open task manager while playing, this will slow your system down just so you know, when to rubberbanding happens look at your CPU, RAM, and network usage for spikes.  Sort the list in Task manager by memory usage to see if someone is being a hog.

If you are on Windows 10:

Release 1903 is being pushed out.  It is both huge and as some issues with it.  Downloading it while playing will affect performance.

The latest Java release is a massive memory hog.  I have seen it use between 100 MB and 1GB of RAM idling.  You may want to try ending the task for it.  I do not believe CoH is using any java resources.

Disable Googleupdate services

Disable ITunes and Bonjour services (this is a good practice, just turn them on when you need them)

If you have a low end processor or low RAM disable Cortana.  Cortana will still be 'On' as you won't be able to run Win 10 without her until WCOS is released, but it will stop her from sitting there and waiting for a command and can save some resources.  In Win 10 Pro this is done via Group Policy.  In home it requires a registry edit.

All those active tiles in your metro/start screen, turn them off.  Most can be done by right clicking on them and selecting the option.  Those updates all come at the cost of network usage.

Thanks for the suggestions all, and I think you're right Goblinite. I'd already done some experimentation with the graphics levels which made no difference, so decided to do a comparision test and installed the client on my aging win7 laptop. The game runs very smoothly (to my surprise, good ol' lappy  :) ) with no rubberbanding issues at all, so the problem is either with my gaming PC or with win10.

Solution: time for a new gaming PC, yay!

Thanks for the suggestions all, and I think you're right Goblinite. I'd already done some experimentation with the graphics levels which made no difference, so decided to do a comparision test and installed the client on my aging win7 laptop. The game runs very smoothly (to my surprise, good ol' lappy  :) ) with no rubberbanding issues at all, so the problem is either with my gaming PC or with win10.

Solution: time for a new gaming PC, yay!

That would lead me to believe the issue is with the background processes of Win 10 eating up resources where Windows 7 isn't.  I would guess that it is probably network bandwidth as Win 10 is, by design, wanting to be always online and with a constant high-speed network connection while the basis of Win 7 is still rooted in code written for dial-up modems.

I used to suffer that with my old pc, but there were a few commands that really helped. Once in a while it happens here and those old commands still work!

/sync  (works really well)

/neterrorcorrection 1

or

/neterrorcorrection 2    (For better connection to server)

/reloadgfx    (Unloads all textures causing them to be reloaded dynamically. This makes your screen go wonky for a few seconds, so don't be alarmed!!)

y0Y5yFQ.png Forever grateful to be back in my city!

• 1 year later
On 6/27/2019 at 11:15 AM, Healix said:

I used to suffer that with my old pc, but there were a few commands that really helped. Once in a while it happens here and those old commands still work!

/sync  (works really well)

/neterrorcorrection 1

or

/neterrorcorrection 2    (For better connection to server)

/reloadgfx    (Unloads all textures causing them to be reloaded dynamically. This makes your screen go wonky for a few seconds, so don't be alarmed!!)

I got a brand new Alienware gaming laptop and i am having this problem =(. I can't figure out how to fix it. 

Kill Most ITFs! Defender Tank! dahkness11 - Twitch