Repeatedly mapservered, unable to login for a while afterward, website sometimes won't load

Posted (edited)

All other websites work normally and are just fine. I also played another game tonight for a fair while to see if it was also having stability issues. The other game is also played online. But, there were no issues at all when playing that other game.   

So, what started happening yesterday is specific to the City of Heroes homecoming game launcher, the game itself, and the City of Heroes homecoming website. Things that have been happening include ...

1. Playing CoH homecoming will be going fine, and then a mapserver will start without any warning. I then lose the ability to communicate with teammates, commands issued to my character are not carried out and he or she is stuck in place, the screen repeatedly animates simple NPC / enemy movements on the screen while they are stuck in place, and after a while the game crashes. This has happened about 6-8 times in the last 24 hours. 

2. When a mapserver crash happens then when a login is attempted the game launcher software will freeze and eventually given an error message. The login process does not move forward. Also, the "update available or not" check process for the live server and for the beta server either doesn't complete or it takes an unusually long time to finish the check. As well, the "news" part of the game launcher UI either doesn't load at all or it takes a very long time to load. 

3. During this period of time if I try to access any website that I usually visit other than COH Homecoming, there are no issues. The connection is super fast, as always. But, after a mapserver event I'm not able to access the CoH Homecoming website for a while. The connection will time out and the "connection timed out" error message will appear instead. Eventually I'll be able to access the CoH Homecoming website and that's my signal that I will be able to log into the game again. 

4. I've been trying turning my Windows 11 PC off, waiting 10 seconds plus, and then switching it on again. Not sure if it's having any effect; perhaps it's slightly speeding up the process of getting back into the game, perhaps not. 

Overall, some kind of problem keeps recurring. The last Windows 11 updates were a week ago, but the problems started yesterday. So, a windows update seems unlikely to be the reason. Really not sure why this is happening. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

I have game mode enabled on my PC and it's set to "high priority" for graphics. This doesn't seem to be graphics-driven though. Perhaps it's an authentication issue of some kind. 

Also, the network priority for the City of Heroes game is set to "low". I tried boosting it higher via the task manager - details - right click on program - set network priority process. But, the system ignored my efforts. 

I've had the exact same problem.  It started about a week ago and I mapserve so frequently that it's almost impossible to play the game.  Nothing else is impacted on the laptop.  I've messed around with the settings but to no avail.  It would be great if someone could provide some help towards fixing it.

Posted (edited)

Mapserver issues are usually client side network issues, sometimes restarting your modem and router will correct it. In some cases it isn't your equipment rather a connection somewhere on the way to the servers that is creating the issue. One quick way to check that is to create a character on Reunion if you play mostly on the NA Servers, or visa versa if you play on Reunion, so that your path to the game is different, and see if the issue still occurs. Setting up a VPN to use to connect has solved the problem in some cases. 

Installing Wireshark can let you isolate the hops your connection takes on it's way to the servers and identify where the issue is. the IP is 51.161.76.201, you can also try pinging this address, at a command prompt type "ping -t  51.161.76.201' without quotes and hit enter, if this connection is not reliable, you will mapserve.

Edited by Marine X

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

On 5/22/2024 at 6:47 AM, EnjoyTheJourney said:

4. I've been trying turning my Windows 11 PC off, waiting 10 seconds plus, and then switching it on again. Not sure if it's having any effect; perhaps it's slightly speeding up the process of getting back into the game, perhaps not. 

Have you tried to restart your computer?

A restart is different than shutdown.

Also, if you have a antivirus program that has an optimization or cleaning program I would run that.

If not, clear the cookies from all your browsers manually.

• Thanks 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

I've tried restarts and they don't seem to affect anything. The process of becoming able to access the website, to be able to login, and to be able to enter the game doesn't seem to change at all with a restart. 

Are there temporary files for City of Heroes that I can delete? I thought of that after posting earlier and would be happy to try that; perhaps something in that (those) file(s) got corrupted. 

My antivirus program is very basic. I should consider what Windows can do by way of a cleaning or optimization program if deleting temporary files doesn't work. I'll also check out deleting cookies in case something got corrupted there. 

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Are there temporary files for City of Heroes that I can delete? I thought of that after posting earlier and would be happy to try that; perhaps something in that (those) file(s) got corrupted. 

I'm not sure which files you are talking about.

I've never reinstalled the launcher, so I'm not sure about any complications that would cause.
The little three ... under the different section of log in are options, and there is a "verify" option. You could try doing that with the game files.

The reason I suggested deleting cookies is sometimes to me - other people say it can't happen - deleting cookies seems to solve problems that they shouldn't be able to cause.

Edited by UltraAlt
  • Thanks 1

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

The same thing has happened to me 4x in the past few days. I get mapserved, and then I can't log back in.

Nothing has changed on my machine since before this started happening. I have played here since early '19 without this problem.

• City Council

It sounds like there may be an issue at OVH's edge or along some route to the datacenter we use. Unfortunately this is outside of our control, but if the issue persists then we will raise it with OVH.

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

22 hours ago, EnjoyTheJourney said:

Thank you for taking the time to post. 

18 hours ago, Frunobulax said:

The same thing has happened to me

Hey, I just thought of this when I saw another post.

If you're not playing on Reunion, try Reunion.

All the other servers virtually the same server at the same location.

I know that won't help with the launcher, but it may help with some lag issues if the bottleneck is between you location and the rest of the servers.

Just now, UltraAlt said:

Hey, I just thought of this when I saw another post.

If you're not playing on Reunion, try Reunion.

All the other servers virtually the same server at the same location.

I know that won't help with the launcher, but it may help with some lag issues if the bottleneck is between you location and the rest of the servers.

Hi Ultra, thanks for the suggestion. I tired that but had the same issues - constant mapserving and crashing. I’ve been playing since 2019 and have never had any problems but the game is unplayable for me now unfortunately. I’m going to check all my hardware again today to make sure I’m not missing anything. 

• Sad 2

Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Intermipants said:

Hi Ultra, thanks for the suggestion. I tired that but had the same issues - constant mapserving and crashing. I’ve been playing since 2019 and have never had any problems but the game is unplayable for me now unfortunately. I’m going to check all my hardware again today to make sure I’m not missing anything. 

Ouch! Hopefully that improves soon. 

For whatever reason I had fewer mapserver incidents two days ago and none yesterday. Nothing has changed about my PC. Cipher's hypothesis about the cause may ultimately be correct. 

Edited by EnjoyTheJourney

3 hours ago, Intermipants said:

I tired that but had the same issues - constant mapserving and crashing

That to me indicates that the issue is pretty close to home, before the path to Reunion or the other Servers has diverged. It might be worth a call to your ISP to see if they can see anything from their end, you may be able to have them move your service to a fresh port, as the equipment is similar to most other ethernet equipment and bad ports happen, or issue you a new Modem/Router, I know Spectrum will give you a replacement Modem on request. 

" When it's too tough for everyone else,

it's just right for me..."

( Unless it's Raining, or Cold, or Really Dirty

or there are Sappers, Man I hate those Guys...)

Marine X

Thanks everyone, I’ve got the cable coming round this week to take a look because a lot of things are glitching here, so it’s definitely a problem on my end. Thanks for all your help!  Hopefully back on soon.