🦇 Batman: Caped Crusader 🦇

24 minutes ago, Dynamo-Joe said:

Oops. Sorry guys. So noted and edited. 

Thank you, @Dynamo-Joe.

More episodes down.  One thing that has caught my eye is surprise appearances in the show.  Two that I'd never have expected are...

Spoiler

1. Eel O'Brian who in this incarnation, so far, is a photography news hound.  If the name doesn't ring bells, his nom de guerre is Plastic Man.    Eel's original backstory is as a small-time crook who went straight so having him take the role of a "Jimmy Olsen" is a curiosity.  Perhaps he's moved into that role in the comics.  If so, I've not heard of it.

2. King Tut - This one really surprised me.  To the best of my knowledge, the only appearance of King Tut onscreen has been Victor Buono's delightful scene-chewing role in the campy 1966 Batman.  If I recall correctly, the character originated in that series.  There he was a professor of antiquities who suffered an injury that created a split personality.  Here, he is a wealthy member of society whose unusual alter ego makes quite a bit of sense in context of the story.

Episode 5:

Spoiler

This episode feels like it played against what the show had been working with. 

For one thing, Batman is only in about 20 to 25% of the episode. 

For another, he was so easily trapped, and with a very slow reaction at that.  I kept looking to the utility belt and saying "And?  AND...?" only to see it never used.  Big disappointment.  Had he tried something and it wasn't sufficient, it would have at least showed an attempt at preparation for one in the role for a short time.  Instead, he looked like a complete amateur. 

I get that the show is building Barbara up towards...something...presumably Batgirl, but the heavy use of her was a distraction to the central concept of the show.

I'm intrigued that Harleen Quinzel seems to be something more than just a thug after cash.  I'm only through episode 7 as of this writing, but it feels like she sees herself as some sort of Robin Hood, dealing her own bizarre brand of justice on the rich and seeing to it that they bestow their wealth on charities.  Her willingness to reveal her alter ego to

Barbara for the sole purpose of saving her friend was also interesting as was her decision to give Batman a fighting chance, and even accepting that he'd probably find a way free.

I'm not however a fan of her quick-change from professional to jester.  The makeup alone would take several minutes to put on, and the show did not give her that time.

As mentioned earlier, this episode's version of King Tut makes sense in context of what Harleen was doing to Gotham elites.

Speaking of which, a half dozen of Gotham's elites have vanished for an extended time and no one has been searching for them?  One or two, sure, but this is stretching believably.

One question:  the victim who was made to dress like a king during his torture:  might he be the origin of one of the Royal Flush gang in this version?

Episode 6:

Spoiler

Not a lot to say regarding this episode. 

This was the first supernatural element of the show.  I'm glad for that explanation as Gentleman Ghost has been interpreted multiple times over the decades and some interpretations are living characters with illusion talents.  Had it been that way, I would have been complaining about a horse keeping up with cars and a train.

It never really explained why Gentleman Ghost was currently robbing did it?  Was it just compulsion?

Episode 7:

Spoiler

Nice twist.

There were some smart things in this episode and a pair of dumb ones.

• It was smart writing to point out to Gordon that his bravado was threatening his neighbors.
  • It was smart that as the car was attacked, the attackers shot out the side mirrors reducing driver visibility. 
  • It was smart writing that the car did not just drive off after the attack but had real consequences for having been so bullet-ridden.  And since I mentioned it, while it is a bit unusual that any of the passengers survived (Bonnie & Clyde died that way) the metal of cars of 1938 was a lot tougher than today, so I can sort of accept that. 
  • It was smart writing that the hunted sought out the showpiece house to hide in.  There wasn't a lot around to secure a position anyway, but at least they didn't try to hide in the brush.
  • It was dumb, but pretty common to Hollywood, that those holed up in the showpiece house fired frequently and without concern for bullet count.  It would have been much more interesting and realistic if they'd realized they had limited ammo and had to choose their shots judiciously.
  • It was dumb, but pretty common to Hollywood, that upon arrest Onomatopoeia was allowed to continue wearing the mask.   The show creators managed to show him putting on the mask at first appearance without showing his face, it would have been simple to show his masks removal without a revelation of the face to the camera.

Posted (edited)

I'm going to profess that I went ahead and watched the rest of the episodes. I'm going to keep my comments spoiler free and short. 

This is not the Batman series I hoped for after watching all 10 episodes. "Who are these characters," I kept asking myself that. They might share the same names as previous Batman allies and rogues, but they are not my celebrated Batman characters. Maybe the next generation will appreciate and connect with them. Maybe I'm not really the target audience anymore. 

Really let down overall. If you miss the Batman: The Animated Series tv show and were hoping to see this as a spiritual successor - it's not, at all. Just go rewatch Batman: The Animated Series instead and you won't be disappointed.

Edit: I just could not get over how blocky the characters design was. There were scenes where Comissioner Gordon's body was an actual square. 

Edited by Glacier Peak
  • Thumbs Up 1

51 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

Edit: I just could not get over how blocky the characters design was. There were scenes where Comissioner Gordon's body was an actual square. 

Yes, it is a problem.  Montoya does not look like she spends much time in the police gym, and this is a character that may someday be The Question, a character called to fight on occasion.  I thought at first it was just a stylistic choice, but then I saw scenes of her standing next to another main female character and realized the latter was drawn much more athletically.

While I accept that a multiverse will spawn Earths where things are very different, I understand and respect your assessment.  I'm about to start episode 8, but much of what you said I'm seeing for myself.  I suspect that the key to writing a multiverse variable that people connect with is to show restraint in the changes, and any drastic changes (such as, say, the single change of a world where where people are the moral polar opposite of the established universe) be kept to a minimal. But that's just an opinion.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 8/7/2024 at 10:17 PM, Excraft said:

Saw a few clips of this... so Penguin was gender swapped and all the men in Gotham are wanting her?  Ok....   I'll pass.

lol...seen her character design, I would find that hard to believe 😛

After watching the first episode, my main gripe isn't actually that Penguin was gender swapped.  Despite that, it just feels like more of the same old, to me.  I think the problem is maybe I'm just burnt out on Batman, actually.  The Brave and the Bold is the last Batman that really did it for me.  The humorous approach was just something fresh and new that sort of revived my interest for a time.  This thing, despite the various changes, just feels like a more traditional approach and, while there's certainly nothing wrong with that, I guess I'm just bored with it. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Triumphant
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Triumphant said:

After watching the first episode, my main gripe isn't actually that Penguin was gender swapped.  Despite that, it just feels like more of the same old, to me.  I think the problem is maybe I'm just burnt out on Batman, actually.  The Brave and the Bold is the last Batman that really did it for me.  The humorous approach was just something fresh and new that sort of revived my interest for a time.  This thing, despite the various changes, just feels like a more traditional approach and, while there's certainly nothing wrong with that, I guess I'm just bored with it. 🤷‍♂️

Well, it doesn't help that they led with arguably the weakest episode of the season.  I get your point, though, and yeah, I can agree with it. 

The franchise needs a bit of a rest and a chance to breathe a little.  It's not like there's not any other interesting characters in DC's portfolio.  I've said it several times before:  I'd love a series, animated or live, focused on The Question.  Also, the CW proved there was opportunity for tales of the Green Arrow, and I'd personally love it if they'd stick to the roadmap and have the GA/Black Canary dynamic.  Blue Beetle is now in the public's consciousness at least and his story might be explored more.  I'd love an updated Static Shock.  There's so many ways to go with this.  Cranking out Batman and Superman stories as fast as possible just seems myopic and ultimately self defeating in comparison to growing your audience's taste for the full collection.

Edited by Techwright
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Triumphant said:

If they wanted to do a new cartoon for Batman, there's a good comic to take it from, where you get the whole Bat family and it feels fun and different.  Batman: Wayne Family Adventures...the way a new animated Batman adventure should go.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BrandX said:

If they wanted to do a new cartoon for Batman, there's a good comic to take it from, where you get the whole Bat family and it feels fun and different.  Batman: Wayne Family Adventures...the way a new animated Batman adventure should go.

Would very much enjoy a Batman Incorporated animated.

32 minutes ago, Triumphant said:

Yeah, anything that would  change up the formula a little would have a better chance of capturing my interest.  👍

What might peak my interest is a series connecting Batman: Then Animated Series with Batman Beyond.  Show Bruce as an aging Bat who has to continually re-engineer his suits to compensate for his aging body.  We've seen in Batman Beyond the last mission of Bruce wearing the suit that eventually belongs to Terry McGinnis, but watching his decline might make him interesting for being more physically vulnerable.  It would probably mean seeing the death of Alfred, maybe even Lucius Fox, the alienation of Barbara, the ongoing struggle to help Robin recover from the gene manipulation by Joker, but all that too, could raise the stakes as Bruce more and more is forced to  go it alone.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Techwright said:

What might peak my interest is a series connecting Batman: Then Animated Series with Batman Beyond.  Show Bruce as an aging Bat who has to continually re-engineer his suits to compensate for his aging body.  We've seen in Batman Beyond the last mission of Bruce wearing the suit that eventually belongs to Terry McGinnis, but watching his decline might make him interesting for being more physically vulnerable.  It would probably mean seeing the death of Alfred, maybe even Lucius Fox, the alienation of Barbara, the ongoing struggle to help Robin recover from the gene manipulation by Joker, but all that too, could raise the stakes as Bruce more and more is forced to  go it alone.

There were a few episodes of Justice League Unlimited that covered some of this. A great watch if you've already seen the other sister or follow up series like The New Batman Adventures, Superman the Animated Series, Static Shock, and the Justice League. They give a great continuation of The B:TAS story. 

18 minutes ago, Glacier Peak said:

There were a few episodes of Justice League Unlimited that covered some of this. A great watch if you've already seen the other sister or follow up series like The New Batman Adventures, Superman the Animated Series, Static Shock, and the Justice League. They give a great continuation of The B:TAS story. 

Yep, saw all of Unlimited.  I know the "ending" of Batman Beyond was part of Unlimited.   I've pretty much seen everything in that grouping of animation with the possible exception of some of the episodes of The Zeta Project.

59 minutes ago, Techwright said:

Honestly, I'd rather not, as that means we see Bruce hooking up with Babs, and I don't care for that pairing 😛

• Haha 1