Guitar option for melee weapons (Titan Weapons, Broadsword, War Mace, Battle Axe etc.)

The kids have been having a blast playing Fortnite since the Metallica update dropped (yes I am a bit biased 😁).  It got me thinking that it might be fun to have guitars as an option for the various melee weapon sets (TW/BS/WM/BA/DB). 

https://www.fortnite.com/news/metallica-lights-up-fortnite-with-a-new-music-experience-festival-season-and-more

Guitars, along with Symphony Control and Sonics may even be used as a starting point for creating a new and all original, unique to HC NPC villain group with their own unique story arc.  There is a lot of potential there, like adding drum sticks as an option for Dual Blades.

Yes, I know it is hard to add new models and such to the game.  Might be fun though!  Something different anyway. 

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Microphone 2
  • Pizza (Pepperoni) 1

This could be interesting, so I support it. More options are a good thing. However, I do have to point out that a guitar is probably too small for Titan Weapons and drum sticks are definitely too small for Dual Blades. (Though a fiddle and bow pairing could be funny as hell for Dual Blades.)

• Confused 1

This is a cool idea!  It would be very interesting to see what HC could do with introducing a new rock music themed NPC villain group. 

2 hours ago, Rudra said:

I do have to point out that a guitar is probably too small for Titan Weapons and drum sticks are definitely too small for Dual Blades.

You do realize 3D models can be scaled, right?

cae94967d23e7b6a38f7b79b918d9788.jpgmaxresdefault.jpg

cv0przxvbz8jajcu9pre__13308.1623536519.j
1de494b3-9501-4542-a50d-c34131e60c22.b0c

• Thumbs Up 2

9 minutes ago, Excraft said:

This is a cool idea!  It would be very interesting to see what HC could do with introducing a new rock music themed NPC villain group. 

Yes, I do, but at that point you aren't wielding a guitar or drum sticks, you are wielding a guitar shaped or drum stick like club. I'm specifically talking about actual musical instruments such as would be used by actual people, and not just props.

(Edit: So something like a bass would work for an actual music instrument that would be a titan weapon. Or if you aren't going for an instrument the character may also play, then anything works. You could wield a titan weapon music triangle then. However, I am just looking at actual music instruments the character would also be playing.)

(Edit again: And by play the instrument, I don't mean gimmick performance such as by trying to play a drum set with 3 feet long drum sticks. I mean actually playing the instrument.)

Edited by Rudra
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Down 1

14 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Yes, I do, but at that point you aren't wielding a guitar or drum sticks, you are wielding a guitar shaped or drum stick like club. I'm specifically talking about actual musical instruments such as would be used by actual people, and not just props.

Right so you'd like realism in a game based on a fictional world where super powered people fly around through the sky shooting laser beams from their eyes at aliens and zombies.  🙄

• Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Right so you'd like realism in a game based on a fictional world where super powered people fly around through the sky shooting laser beams from their eyes at aliens and zombies.  🙄

Uhm, yes, I would. Why is that a bad thing? Suspension of disbelief only goes so far.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

45 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Right so you'd like realism in a game based on a fictional world where super powered people fly around through the sky shooting laser beams from their eyes at aliens and zombies. 

Well obviously it'd have to be an enchanted guitar, or one made of unobtanium, to hold up to the kind of abuse our characters would put them through...  😉

Edited by biostem
  • Haha 4

Love the idea of guitars as melee weapons! 

20 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Guitars, along with Symphony Control and Sonics may even be used as a starting point for creating a new and all original, unique to HC NPC villain group with their own unique story arc. 

Now this is a really interesting and very cool idea!  Might be fun for the HC team to dive into making a whole new story arc and NPC group.  Probably a whole lot of music related puns that can be tossed into the dialogue for the NPCs. 

16 hours ago, biostem said:

Well obviously it'd have to be an enchanted guitar, or one made of unobtanium, to hold up to the kind of abuse our characters would put them through...  😉

I don't get the whole "suspension of disbelief" comment either.  Makes no sense to want "realism" in the fictional world of this game.  I guess the guitars would be made from the same stuff that weapons like the Garage Brand, Railroad Pike and Carnival Mallet are made out of.  🤣  There's shields that are manhole covers and stop signs too, so whatever those are fabricated with. 😁

• Haha 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, ZacKing said:

I don't get the whole "suspension of disbelief" comment either.  Makes no sense to want "realism" in the fictional world of this game.  I guess the guitars would be made from the same stuff that weapons like the Garage Brand, Railroad Pike and Carnival Mallet are made out of.  🤣  There's shields that are manhole covers and stop signs too, so whatever those are fabricated with. 😁

Then let me explain. A manhole cover being used as a shield or a stop sign being used as a shield is something the character can feasibly hold to place between the character and an attacker. So they work as a shield. A manhole cover being used as a frisbee or a stop sign being used as a frisbee is still a flat, disc-like object even if octagonal in shape like the stop sign. So it is plausible they can be thrown as a frisbee. If you tell me you have a character the size of an ant and that character can lift 10 meter tall boulders and throw them 300 miles, I can accept that. Your ant-size character is just that strong. If you tell me you have an ant-sized character that built a 15 feet tall bicycle, and it is just a standard bicycle with nothing else, and your ant-sized character rides it around just like a normal human rides around on their normal bicycles? Nuh uh. There is no way for your ant-sized character's feet to reach the pedals or handlebars to ride it. It's the same thing with the guitars. In the example pictures provided by @Excraft, you can plainly see that the people with those over-sized guitars can only play the body of the instrument. And if you can't make use of the neck of the instrument at the same time, then you can't play the instrument. It's that simple. Some level of realism has to exist in the game.

Edit: And again, if the item is just a guitar-shaped club and not a musical instrument? Then no problems. Your character isn't playing a club like it is a guitar.

Edited by Rudra
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Down 2

19 hours ago, biostem said:

You know, now that I think about it...

It might be kinda satisfying to actually smash the guitar with every hit.  Not sure how well I'd handle having to draw a new guitar after every attack though...

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

20 hours ago, Excraft said:

This did make me realize that there probably have to be models in the game that can be purposed as instruments since we can't just import an OBJ so far as I know.

3 minutes ago, Rudra said:

There is no way for your ant-sized character's feet to reach the pedals or handlebars to ride it. It's the same thing with the guitars. In the example pictures provided by @Excraft, you can plainly see that the people with those over-sized guitars can only play the body of the instrument. And if you can't make use of the neck of the instrument at the same time, then you can't play the instrument. It's that simple. Some level of realism has to exist in the game.

I definitely see your point (and agree with it), but who says my character can actually play *any* instrument, let alone that guitar?  I was thinking of making a 5 foot-nothing teenage groupie who stole the (9' tall, huge) lead guitarist's guitar, and then went on a murderous rampage.  Or maybe the guy's teenage kid decided that it'd make for a fun criminal-bashing tool for some reason.  I'm not after being able to play that monster of a guitar (well, unless I was on a Huge character), but simply beating people up with it would be fun.  (Check it out guys, I can *totally* tap out play a song on this thing's frets!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Akisan said:

I definitely see your point (and agree with it), but who says my character can actually play *any* instrument, let alone that guitar?  I was thinking of making a 5 foot-nothing teenage groupie who stole the (9' tall, huge) lead guitarist's guitar, and then went on a murderous rampage.  Or maybe the guy's teenage kid decided that it'd make for a fun criminal-bashing tool for some reason.  I'm not after being able to play that monster of a guitar (well, unless I was on a Huge character), but simply beating people up with it would be fun.  (Check it out guys, I can *totally* tap out play a song on this thing's frets!)

20 hours ago, Rudra said:

Or if you aren't going for an instrument the character may also play, then anything works. You could wield a titan weapon music triangle then.

15 minutes ago, Rudra said:

And again, if the item is just a guitar-shaped club and not a musical instrument? Then no problems.

My responses were based purely on the OP's statement of playing music. I don't care if the game adds music instrument shaped clubs. I don't care if a character is running around with an oversized prop and smashing things with it. I strictly care about the playing the instrument part of the OP.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

I will say that, while guitars should perhaps be added as melee weapons first because it would be easier animation-wise, the ultimate dream is to have a “guitar blast” alternate animation for either Symphony or Sonic powers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

35 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Then let me explain. A manhole cover being used as a shield or a stop sign being used as a shield is something the character can feasibly hold to place between the character and an attacker. So they work as a shield. 

Your nitpick didn't make sense.  It still doesn't.  It certainly doesn't jive with the whole "suspension of disbelief" and "need for realism" in the game.  This is a fictional world where people can run at super speed, fly through the air, literally breath fire, summon zombies and demons, etc.

It's silly to suggest that an oversized guitar existing isn't "realistic", but a generic Stop sign stopping bullets from high powered rifles or blasts of fire hot enough to melt steel or being smashed by a giant warhammer without being destroyed is realistic.

48 minutes ago, Rudra said:

In the example pictures provided by @Excraft, you can plainly see that the people with those over-sized guitars can only play the body of the instrument. And if you can't make use of the neck of the instrument at the same time, then you can't play the instrument. It's that simple. Some level of realism has to exist in the game.

Seems like people can play an oversized guitar just fine.

• Thumbs Up 2

5 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Your nitpick didn't make sense.  It still doesn't.  It certainly doesn't jive with the whole "suspension of disbelief" and "need for realism" in the game.  This is a fictional world where people can run at super speed, fly through the air, literally breath fire, summon zombies and demons, etc.

And in this fictional world where characters can do superhuman feats, they are still limited by biology.

5 minutes ago, ZacKing said:

Seems like people can play an oversized guitar just fine.

Now show me someone playing one while standing like they do on stage or they would in the game. And even in the second one, it takes 3 people to play it.

• Thumbs Down 1

24 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Now show me someone playing one while standing like they do on stage or they would in the game. And even in the second one, it takes 3 people to play it.

Respectfully, you're constantly moving the goalposts here.

First, it was "oversized guitars aren't realistic" and "people couldn't hold them".  Then when it's shown people can hold oversized guitars, it was "well, someone couldn't actually play an oversized guitar".  Now when it's shown that someone can play an oversized guitar (including the neck), it's "they have to be standing to play it" as the new benchmark.

I don't see anywhere in the OP @ShardWarrior made that suggests these guitar items must be actual, playable musical instruments and would be used as some sort of all new sonic-based musical instrument set in the game that would require the NPC to play the guitar.  You're trying to inject that in to justify your criticism.  All that was suggested was adding some guitar objects as options for the various hand held weapon sets.  There's no mention of having these be playable instruments by NPCs at some concert venue in the game.   These guitar options would just add some flavor to a new NPC villain group, much like the Warriors utilize different weapons (axes, swords, maces etc.) as an example.  Some in the new villain group could utilize Sonics, some could use Symphony Control, some could use Guitars in lieu of a broadsword or titan weapon. 

10 minutes ago, Excraft said:

Respectfully, you're constantly moving the goalposts here.

On 7/17/2024 at 11:59 AM, Rudra said:

However, I do have to point out that a guitar is probably too small for Titan Weapons and drum sticks are definitely too small for Dual Blades.

22 hours ago, Rudra said:

(Edit: So something like a bass would work for an actual music instrument that would be a titan weapon. Or if you aren't going for an instrument the character may also play, then anything works. You could wield a titan weapon music triangle then. However, I am just looking at actual music instruments the character would also be playing.)

1 hour ago, Rudra said:

My responses were based purely on the OP's statement of playing music. I don't care if the game adds music instrument shaped clubs. I don't care if a character is running around with an oversized prop and smashing things with it. I strictly care about the playing the instrument part of the OP.

Nope, my responses are consistent.

I'm not opposing the OP's request for guitar melee weapons.

On 7/17/2024 at 11:59 AM, Rudra said:

This could be interesting, so I support it. More options are a good thing.

I'm simply stating that if you want a music instrument that your character actually plays, then it has to be correctly sized to play by that character.

• Thumbs Down 1

4 minutes ago, Rudra said:

Nope, my responses are consistent.

Indeed.  Consistently moving the goalposts.  You keep doing you though.

4 minutes ago, Rudra said:

I'm simply stating that if you want a music instrument that your character actually plays, then it has to be correctly sized to play by that character.

No one has suggested that they need to be musical instruments your character actually plays. 

1 minute ago, Excraft said:

Indeed.  Consistently moving the goalposts.  You keep doing you though.

I even quoted my own posts. My response has always been the same. If you want a music instrument your character can play, it needs to actually be playable by your character. If you jsut want a club that looks like a music instrument, then go right ahead.

2 minutes ago, Excraft said:

No one has suggested that they need to be musical instruments your character actually plays. 

My understanding of

On 7/17/2024 at 11:25 AM, ShardWarrior said:

is that the instruments are such that they are being played. I don't play Fortnite. I don't care about Fortnite. However, if there is a music experience going on, then I would expect the instruments to be played. If they aren't, then I don't care. Because I don't care if characters run around with instrument shaped clubs they beat things with. By all means. Go for it. I only care that if your character has a music instrument that your character plays and is also wielding as a weapon, then that instrument needs to be sized to be playable by that character.