GPU-PV Support?

Linea

Banner display, window starts, window remains black.

I'm sure it was never intended to be even remotely compatible, but if it's possible I'd like to get it running this way.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

Not sure what's being asked. I looked the term up and it has something to do with splitting GPU in VMs?

• Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Yes, it's using what's called GPU Para-virtualization in Hyper-V VMs on Windows 11.   This is NOT the same as GPU Pass-thru.  My guess would be even the newest CoH client is no where near close to compatible.  But it shouldn't hurt to ask.

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE.

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard*, ..., 801.5 Moderate**, ..., 801.6 Hard***, ..., 801.7 Four Star****, ... 801.F Death.

My question would be then, if we're talking about doing this with a Win11 Host, then why bother with VM if it's natively compatible to the Host?

• Banjo 1

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

physical hardware access is problematic, and I'd rather not buy another machine when I have plenty of resources available virtually.

21 minutes ago, Krimson said:

Which is why RTX Remix doesn't work with CoH.

Right, it only works with DirectX 9 games. Tho I guess it could theoretically be possible to use it with an OpenGL to DirectX 9 wrapper, tho I can't imagine such a set up would run well.

On 8/5/2024 at 5:39 PM, Captain Fabulous said:

CoH uses OpenGL, and my understanding is that Hyper-V and OpenGL don't play nice together.

Doesn't Hyper-V only emulate ye olde classic S3 Verge graphics? I know my old 90s game doesn't even play nice in it (last I remember trying). Now, If you've got a Win7 install and run the "XP Mode" emulator, then that might do something, but at that point just run Win7 (no, don't actually do that it's not secure online).

On 8/5/2024 at 5:48 PM, Captain Fabulous said:

Right, it only works with DirectX 9 games. Tho I guess it could theoretically be possible to use it with an OpenGL to DirectX 9 wrapper, tho I can't imagine such a set up would run well.

If I could figure such a thing out, I'd be willing to give it a try.

13 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

Doesn't Hyper-V only emulate ye olde classic S3 Verge graphics? I know my old 90s game doesn't even play nice in it (last I remember trying). Now, If you've got a Win7 install and run the "XP Mode" emulator, then that might do something, but at that point just run Win7 (no, don't actually do that it's not secure online).

Hyper-V only supports OpenGL 1.1, and IIRC CoH uses 2.1.

13 hours ago, Krimson said:

If I could figure such a thing out, I'd be willing to give it a try.

Unfortunately I'm the wrong one to ask. I suspect you'd run into the same issue, not being able to find a wrapper that supports OpenGL 2.1. Maybe Mesa? 🤷‍♂️

Tho my understanding is Nvidia may at some point offer this support natively.

• 1 month later