Ghostcrawler Calls Streamlined Leveling in MMORPGs a Mistake

Lunar Ronin

20 hours ago, Triumphant said:

Also, because I am an RP'er, I don't want to go from zero to hero every time, because that doesn't (with the exception of a few tech-based heroes, perhaps) model the way it happens in comics.  Sure, sometimes a characters looks change, more rarely they will get new powers and abilities, but basically, Captain America, Spider Man, Superman, and Green Lantern (as a few examples) have always had the same sort of powers and abilities.  They didn't "grind" to get there.  Grinding feels like D&D to me, and I want to play a comic book game.

I really don't see what being a roleplayer has anything to do with the need to power-level characters to 50 or better.

Spider-man did evolve in the comics, but that was so early on that most people haven't read that. When they do recons, they gloss over that stuff for sure. And Green Lantern and Superman have evolved and changed over the years ... even after the start of the Silver Age. Captain America had the same basic powers sure, but he went through changes as well.

And, yeah, you can say that Superman was born that way and the Green Lantern had already grinded his way into being fearless before he was given the ring.

Well, you can play however you like.

I'm a character conception player and a lot of enjoyment is in the "ding". The leveling up and characters getting more powerful is a large part of my enjoyment of the game as well as creating tons of characters and being able to play what I feel like at any given time.

What is boring to you is "the game" for other people. And with so many RPGs out there with leveling systems, it seems like a majority of gamers find the "ding" enjoyable.

• Thumbs Up 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.

2 hours ago, UltraAlt said:

I really don't see what being a roleplayer has anything to do with the need to power-level characters to 50 or better.

Spider-man did evolve in the comics, but that was so early on that most people haven't read that. When they do recons, they gloss over that stuff for sure. And Green Lantern and Superman have evolved and changed over the years ... even after the start of the Silver Age. Captain America had the same basic powers sure, but he went through changes as well.

And, yeah, you can say that Superman was born that way and the Green Lantern had already grinded his way into being fearless before he was given the ring.

Well, you can play however you like.

I'm a character conception player and a lot of enjoyment is in the "ding". The leveling up and characters getting more powerful is a large part of my enjoyment of the game as well as creating tons of characters and being able to play what I feel like at any given time.

What is boring to you is "the game" for other people. And with so many RPGs out there with leveling systems, it seems like a majority of gamers find the "ding" enjoyable.

I think your point of view and your opinion of what makes a good game (including this one) is every bit as valid as mine, even if they are different.  You may also be right about most people enjoying levelling systems.  Just because I don't enjoy them, doesn't mean that's the collective experience of most players.  

I appreciate you taking the time to offer a clear explanation of why you feel this way.  So many people comment in the forums with nothing more than a thumbs down, without providing any further context, and I find that incredibly frustrating.  So thank you for not being one of those.

• Finland 1

On 10/17/2024 at 9:42 AM, Triumphant said:

Why can't you just like what you like and allow me the same courtesy?

What are you talking about?

Who is stopping you from playing the way that you like?

I certainly am not doing that.

You seem to be getting very defensive.

So yes. It is best to stop this exchange.

• Like 1

If someone posts a reply quoting me and I don't reply, they may be on ignore.

(It seems I'm involved with so much at this point that I may not be able to easily retrieve access to all the notifications)

Some players know that I have them on ignore and are likely to make posts knowing that is the case.

But the fact that I have them on ignore won't stop some of them from bullying and harassing people, because some of them love to do it. There is a group that have banded together to target forum posters they don't like. They think that this behavior is acceptable.

Ignore (in the forums) and /ignore (in-game) are tools to improve your gaming experience. Don't feel bad about using them.