Open Club  ·  39 members

PC Builders

Business Build w/ a side of Gaming?

WanderingAries

So I'm still waiting for details of what the true system requirements are, but I'm trying to template up a build for the sibling's next desktop. We'll likely be keeping the Case, fans, and possibly the PSU, but that depends on what I am given in terms of Actual current hardware. I Do know that the current build was based off of my original 2010~2012 desktop that I'm still running, but he's got some AMD GPU apparently (vs my GTX 770 -> GTX 970 -> RTX 3060 Ti) that will be available, but likely need upgraded as well.

What I Do know is that they're going to be primarily running intensive productivity (heavy hitting statistical analysis) software that's apparently stressing out the current system and they're running 3-4 monitors to boot. I'm thinking that they'll need at least an SSD boot drive, possibly another for scratch files (like I do, but depends on that software), and I always recommend a spinner for data storage. They inquired about whether SSDs are now standard for all of the above, but I still feel that (in part because of $/Tb) it's best to just have that large capacity data drive for the long-term.

I'm hoping that finding out the system requirements for the software so that the build can be focused there, but I think they also play Civilization. I see what I think is that on their (just as old) Surface device when they visit. I recently gifted them an Xbox to try and give them more options for gaming as many games are cross-platform between Windows and Xbox, so that should help keep the new design more productivity focused. I just wish I knew if the statistical software was more CPU intensive or GPU and whether it was more compatible with Intel or AMD (leaning AMD now a days due to the obvious things going on with Intel).

So with that said, what would be a good starting platform? AM4 / AM5? The build is going to be running for the next decade (as this one has), so we're not trying to skimp on performance for sure, but at the same time, I'm thinking they may be just fine with a B series board instead of the X series I've had in mind lately for myself.

Their current build is Likely this same platform, but not as many parts.

I threw this together as a start, but I wasn't thrilled when dealing with compatibility charts for the RAM. That and I don't think they have all the models anyway.

Edited by WanderingAries

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired  <||> Generally Inactive

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

11 hours ago, WanderingAries said:

AM4 is a perfectly acceptable budget option.
A 5600 chip is fine, if you want to give it a bit more grunt, a 5800.

A B-550 board.

The nerd in me says a minimum of 16GB is fine, but 32 or more is NEVER  GOING TO HURT.
Make sure unless you are space constrained, to go with a regular ATX board.  Don't saddle for m-atx unless you are forced to.
And yes, SSDs.  Get the biggest fastest drives you can.
Samsung is my recommended brand.
They tend to be the best mix of size and performance.
If "durability" is a concern look at the Seagate FireCudas.

Give the AM5 platform a bit of time.
Their current power ceilings result in very "Meh"performance.
It's not "BAD".  But it's no an appreciable step up.
The new settings for wattage here on out will result in a better performance boost.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Still haven't received any new info, but I threw together some basics and started running into confusion over parts like "air cool vs AIO", "how efficient should the PSU be?", and many other things that stem from not having a fully fleshed out concept. Based on pushing the clock out for longevity's sake (kinda wants another 10+ year build). I settled on the 7950x when trying to sort out if it was worth suggesting the x3D or 9950x. I think I started mentally mixing my own wish list as I was looking at things as well, so that wasn't helping. One knowledge hurdle is not understanding AMD GPUs fully (vs Nvidia), so when I briefly looked into cards that would fit well with the CPU choice, I about had a migraine as I also didn't know how much vRAM would be needed or the like. Trying to sort through PSUs and CPU air coolers was a PITA as well. 

Storage wise, I've templated out the FireCuda 540 ~2 Tb for the primary and an 8 Tb Baracuda / Exos for storage or backup drive. Even on my 3770k though, I've been using SSD for my active data drive, so that made me start looking at the 4x M.2 slot boards as those would allow for a primary drive, data drive, scratch drive, etc. without sacrificing speed or needing a ton of SATA ports. Granted, the more I started looking into That (and all of the above), the higher the budget starts going, but unless we start shucking $2k GPUs, then I don't think that'll be a problem anyway.

I guess the biggest hurdle right now is not knowing the system requirements for the core software being used because IDK what it is and IDK if I'm allowed to due to the possibility of needing a Security Clearance. I don't think the latter is an issue since it's a home machine, but I always have to keep things in mind like that.

Honestly, unless my objective is maximum gaming performance without any other benchmark, it's not worth the price premium.

I think the need for actively controlling the CCD  cores (disabling the cores you're ALREADY paying so much for)  is a waste of time and money.

Primarily, air-cooled vs liquid is an effectively dead argument.
The price of a competent liquid cooler as a way to stabilize CPU is worth more (IMNSHO) than opting for X3D,
Remember I have history overclocking dual Celeron setups and have familiarity with such "home brew" setups.

For me, if it's  "more power" or "more stability", having had rigs go t**s-up at the drop of a hart, has broken me of badly planned "Clock To The Moon And Back" stuff.

Considering how much you spend on a rig, you're NUTS if you're doing it any other way.

If you want to be godlike, pick anything.

If you want to be GOD, pick a TANK!

Yeah, I cut out the idea for the 7950x3D and 9950x because of all the added work that I'm not sure they'd want to deal with (or me try to explain and I've been reading about chip fraud now). Definitely won't be doing an OC. Never have actually unless you count RAM, but that's because of how it's designed (it's always overclocked to get the quoted speeds).

I'm going to draft a "Current Build" / "Build Requirements" form and send it off this week so that I can get something more concrete. Maybe then the choice of PSU / GPU would be much easier. I'm thinking since longevity is a concern, then 850W~1kW will likely be the aim there, but I'm hoping a 30 series or AMD equivalent (if the better choice) might be an option that'll keep the budgets friendlier.

STILL waiting for the requirements list, but (within the restrictions of the site) I think I've whittled down the parts Range. Except for the storage, anything with more than one thing listed is an indication of a choice to be made (based on requirements / suggestions). The biggest unknown right now is the GPU as IDK how important it'll be in the workload, so unless AMD comes out with a revised XTX that brings in where it's currently lacking vs the 4080 S, then I'm keeping the Nvidia cards on the table as it were. Again, we're still in design phase, so pricing is being ignored as of right now. I threw in some LC components, but I'll have to learn how that affects physically building in cases. IDK what case they have right now, but I know that mine has plenty of space for AIOs (if I yank out half the fans). I'm just not sure how airflow works with them.

Something that I've been keeping in the back of my mind, however, is that there are accessories / often forgotten components that should be taken into consideration. Specifically, GPU stability brackets and CPU thermal pads. I've even considered looking into redoing my CPU with a thermal pad (or just using one in the next build) for the simplicity of not having to guess about how to apply paste (and my paste is Really old now both in system and the toolbox). The GPU stand consideration will depend on the case used I'm sure, but the back of my mind also seems to think there's a slot-side bracket that may exist to allow that end to be more secured. IE: a replacement bracket that extends the mounting to 3-4 slots wide.

A list of considerations:

I whittled down the parts list even more after learning a bit more about modern RAM. I didn't realize that the one option was Actually for Intel and after looking into things further, the choice was clear for price vs performance (w/ brand preference). Now if busy-bee will get back with me, then I can narrow down the GPU / cooling requirements and move onto conserving parts (use existing components) and/or case choice.

• 2 weeks later

Finally got a response and apparently this is what we're dealing with. So basically, we could probably do this with a multi-core potato. 😛

The email does mention that this is only One of the resource intensive apps, but I'm assuming the rest will likely be in the same realm of requirements, or at least in the build recommendation scope.

https://www.stata.com/products/compatible-operating-systems/

• Stata requires 64-bit Windows for x86-64 processors made by Intel® or AMD (Core i3 equivalent or better)
  • Disk Space: 2 Gb
  • RAM: 4 Gb
  • Stata/MP can perform calculations in parallel on 2 to 64 cores
  • App is I/O intensive
  • No specifics for GPUs

So yeah, whatever I had in mind is perfectly fine, but since the app is I/O intensive, then I'm going to highly encourage the dedicated SSD for the app / cache data. Something that I figured would be a thing considering the nature of the app. Again, I figure they might play Civ7 on it too (unless they choose to use the new XB I got them for that), so I'll still keep that into account.

I'm still not solid on the GPU, but I'm only being held back by the fact that the 7900 XTX doesn't have the newer stuff and the 4090 apparently runs circles around it. What I'll likely suggest is to keep their current GPU for now as that'll keep the initial build cost at bay considering the CPU has an APU that can also be used for now. I think I'll still suggest getting the updated PSU to cover the future GPU upgrade and avoid the hassle of needing to swap it later.