Displaying first appearance of character?

Ukase

Isn’t this kind of bottom-of-the-barrel of things to complain about?

I care more about the lives of Tardigrades floating adrift in space on debris left over by past space shuttle missions than someone else’s fictional characters “first appearance” date.

Seriously, this is impressively in the “who cares” category. Made 5 years ago? Don’t care. Made 5 minutes ago? Still don’t care. And I find other people caring this much about other peoples first appearances mildly amusing.

Edited by Neiska
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Down 1
  • Microphone 1

58 minutes ago, Neiska said:

I care more about the lives of Tardigrades floating adrift in space on debris left over by past space shuttle missions than someone else’s fictional characters “first appearance” date.

Seriously, this is impressively in the “who cares” category. Made 5 years ago? Don’t care. Made 5 minutes ago? Still don’t care. And I find other people caring this much about other peoples first appearances mildly amusing.

Congrats, that's you.

Other people find fiddling with builds to get that LAST .05% recharge or defense, or RP, or building for PVP or chasing the market or screwing around with costumes for an hour to be the same way.

Fortunately, the game can fit us all in and adjustments to things that one group might care about even if the others don't can be made as needed.

26 minutes ago, Greycat said:

Congrats, that's you.

Other people find fiddling with builds to get that LAST .05% recharge or defense, or RP, or building for PVP or chasing the market or screwing around with costumes for an hour to be the same way.

Fortunately, the game can fit us all in and adjustments to things that one group might care about even if the others don't can be made as needed.

Fair. It just strikes me as odd for someone to be so concerned over something that doesn’t affect them.

I mean, let’s play hypothetical here. Let’s say you want to see it, but they say no. It’s not like you can force them to show you.

And for the reverse, if you have it displayed and someone has an issue, I’d say that’s their problem. It’s not as if you can change it even if you wanted to, except to delete and remake.

And a character’s birthdate doesn’t really mean anything other than when it was made. It has zero effect on a players skill or game knowledge.

So….. what’s the point? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, Neiska said:

Fair. It just strikes me as odd for someone to be so concerned over something that doesn’t affect them.

I mean, let’s play hypothetical here. Let’s say you want to see it, but they say no. It’s not like you can force them to show you.

And for the reverse, if you have it displayed and someone has an issue, I’d say that’s their problem. It’s not as if you can change it even if you wanted to, except to delete and remake.

And a character’s birthdate doesn’t really mean anything other than when it was made. It has zero effect on a players skill or game knowledge.

So….. what’s the point? 

People value - or judge - different things. And take how others see those things differently. You might be able to brush off someone making some comment based on a character creation date. Other people take either specific or any sort of even somewhat-hostile sounding commentary much harder. (I've spent plenty of time when I was running SGs trying to be a counselor to some of those folks. You'd be surprised how often what (generic) you'd take as "... yeah, and?" has someone else stressed out and in tears.)

And these are not necessarily weak or unaccomplished people. Just some things hit some people differently.

Other than that - I tend to come at this from an RP viewpoint these days many times. Sometimes I *will* adopt that as the character's "birthday," and want it shown for that. Or they have a different one, and I don't want it shown as it'd confuse things. I carry other dates over from live - I have characters recorded from live (the old City Info Tracker) that I've remade over here - you'll see things like "50: 7/21/09, 287 hr" in some of my bios of some remade characters. Sometimes they're made for anniversaries. There are reasons people care about dates, and reasons they may not want them visible - I don't know them all.

But if people don't want those dates shown, they should have that option. Just like when people suggest having builds or other stats available to browse - I'll always insist that it be optional, preferrably opt-in, so people who *want* it shown can do so without having it suddenly showing for a bunch of folks who don't want and didn't agree to have that stuff visible.

What you share should *always* be under your control first. Even for "little" things like a character creation date.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Neiska said:

Isn’t this kind of bottom-of-the-barrel of things to complain about?

They probably don't care that you don't care. 😉

• Haha 2

I suspect that the reason for this new date created toggle is because a lot of the people who have (or will be soon) joining us from the super secret server are worried about how people will react if they see the real creation date of their characters.

Which reminds me, didn't the code that SCORE used come from I24 on the original Paragon Studios test server? Hmmm... I wonder exactly when some of those characters were created.

Yeah, I can see now why they really REALLY don't want people knowing the exact date that some of their characters were created.

• Confused 1

Being constantly offended doesn't mean you're right, it means you're too narcissistic to tolerate opinions different than your own.

On 10/15/2024 at 12:04 PM, Ukase said:

Are you one of those folks that just play mostly one character? How do you get your influence? How are you funding your characters if you're not endlessly exploring multiple zones for the cheap reward merits, and then exchanging those reward merits for loot to subsidize your character's build? 

No, I play tons of characters. Most of my influence comes from a few 50s who I will use for ITF, Tinpex, and Hami raids on occasion. The rest comes from reward merits from story arcs.

It seems weird to me that exploration badges are seen as an ideal money maker.

14 minutes ago, MrPengy said:

It seems weird to me that exploration badges are seen as an ideal money maker.

When each character is responsible for their own billion influence, you have to start somewhere. For whatever reason, I feel compelled to make a billion inf (and the enhancements for that build don't count in the tally) on each character. 

Using converters has always been an integral part of my inf-making efforts. Buying cheap stuff, turning it into pricier stuff. Sometimes, I get there by level 5 and sometimes by level 45, just depends on how much fun I'm having running story arcs/tfs with that particular character.