Base Building Mode - Memory Allocation Error - Prae_Cloud_Noon_B.texture

Raevyn_Darke

I spend a lot of time in base edit mode, and I know there have always been memory issues, but I have frequently been getting the following error:

D:/CoH/piggs/stage2c.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 195782, unzip'd size 1398683)
Read failed for file: texture_library/WORLD/World_fx/sky/praetoria/prae_cloud_noon_B.texture

The game ran out of memory and must now exit.

I changed the default sky, in case that was somehow related, but it doesn't seem to have made a difference. Hope this is helpful. Thanks! :)

Slightly different version came up earlier, Prae_Cloud_Noon_A.texture. Just now I got this one:

D:/CoH/piggs/stage1b.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 701374, unzip'd size 1398681)
Read failed for file: texture_library/WORLD/Villain_lairs/Rikti/Rikti_Computer_Pod.texture

If this is something on my end, I'd love to know what I could do to fix it; it's super annoying, lol.

I've gathered a bit more info on this, in hopes it may help or spark some suggestions on what I can do to fix it. The Prae_Cloud_Noon_B file is by far the most common, but files that have caused the memory allocation error include:

• stage1b.pigg - Villain_lairs/Rikti/Rikti_Computer_Pod.texture (x2)
  • stage2c.pigg - World_fx/sky/praetoria/prae_cloud_noon_A.texture
  • stage2c.pigg - World_fx/sky/praetoria/prae_cloud_noon_B.texture (x6)
  • stage2c.pigg - City_Zones/Praetoria/First_Ward/Buildings/Brick_MidRises/P_StainTile03.texture
  • stage3g.pigg - City_Zones/Atlas_Park_makeover/Nature/bushes/AP_ivy_01_dc.texture
  • texWorldCZ.pigg - City_Zones/Halloween_2011/Terrain/HE_2011_ConcreteTrim_NS.texture (x3)
  • texture_characters.pigg - naomi/props/p_bathroom/p_toilet_n.texture

For the last few days, I also tracked when I started the base editor and when the crashes occurred, along with the error messages:

7/6

- Crashed at 12:51 AM:

D:/CoH/piggs/stage3g.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 385230, unzip'd size 1398500)
Read failed for file: texture_library/WORLD/City_Zones/Atlas_Park_makeover/Nature/bushes/AP_ivy_01_dc.texture

- Restarted to go to city zone & logged out.

- Logged in & began base editor ~ 9:15 AM after server restart.

- AFK from ~11-12:15

- CTD w/ no error message at 12:20

7/7

- Logged in & began base editor ~8 AM.

- CTD w/no error message at 10:40 AM.

- Added CoH to Avast exceptions in case that was part of the issue (didn't seem to change anything).

- Restarted PC (Avast update).

- Logged in & began base editor ~11 AM.

- Crashed at 12:36 PM:

D:/CoH/piggs/stage2c.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 195782, unzip'd size 1398683)
Read failed for file: texture_library/WORLD/World_fx/sky/praetoria/prae_cloud_noon_B.texture

- Restarted & began base editor ~12:45 PM.

- Crashed at 2:22 PM:

D:/CoH/piggs/texWorldCZ.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 1190636, unzip'd size 1398500)
Read failed for file: texture_library/WORLD/City_Zones/Halloween_2011/Terrain/HE_2011_ConcreteTrim_NS.texture

- Restarted & began base editor ~2:45 PM.

- Restarted PC due to Windows Updates, restarted game & began base editor ~5:20 PM

7/8

- Logged in & began base editor ~8 AM.

- AFK ~9:15 AM - ~4 PM; left in base edit mode, no issues.

- Crashed at 5:11 PM:

D:/CoH/piggs/stage2c.pigg: Failed memory allocation (zip'd size 241410, unzip'd size 1398683)
Read failed for file: texture_library/WORLD/World_fx/sky/praetoria/prae_cloud_noon_A.texture

I have 16 GB of RAM, and only have Discord and Chrome (with this forum, a badge tracker, and a couple Google search tabs, nothing excessive) open in addition to the game. (Well, and now Notepad so I can keep track of this stuff.) I have tried deleting and re-downloading the files in question, but it didn't seem to make a difference; it did seem to take longer before it crashed again, but I wasn't recording times at that point so it could be subjective.

Any suggestions would be very, very appreciated.

If it helps, the game was designed to work with the old 2Gb (total) app memory limitation (x86) and likes to crash or generally wig out when it's past the 1.5-1.75Gb marker. Base editing racks that memory use up REAL quick and it's not advised to go for too many hours without understanding you've a risk of losing progress (zone in/out every now and then). IDK why you'd go AFK in the base for that long, but I wouldn't recommend it. The more complex the base, the heavier the memory load. The only way to truly "fix" this would be a rewrite of the game to be fully x64 compatible.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

Well, the AFK wasn't intentional, lol. I understand the builder has always had a memory leak. If what I'm experiencing is par for the course, then it is what it is. I just wasn't sure if this was excessive compared to what other people were experiencing, or if I had something going on beyond just the usual problem. Thanks for the reply; I will suck it up and deal. ;)

I honestly can't say that I've had this similar experience. 

BUT, My base is so far pretty low on item count.  Will keep an eye on it as I add more to it (and I do have quite a bit planned for it).

Yeah, I'd bet item count and how much you 'clip' likely play into how it handles it.

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)