IO build goals?

garvisdol73

Hi,

I've never done a full IO set build before and I'm working on one for my sentinel (currently level 49, beam/elec).

I wanted to see what people's goals for building an endgame character are?  I know that people seem to like to soft cap defense at least.  How about things for ACC, TOHIT (which I understand are two different things), DAMAGE, and RECHARGE?  (I hadn't decided yet if I am taking Hasten; I could probably work it into my build, but I am overall relatively happy with my recharge.)

Thanks!

goals would usually include softcap to one position (most important to your build- i.e ranged, melee) or softcap to several types, usually smash/lethal and energy/fire cover the most ground, depending on if the character is specialized for farming, certain enemy types etc.

Recharge would be the next goal most people have, but capping def and getting perma hasten level recharge are usually mutually exclusive unless you start with a very high base in either def or rech to begin with before IOs.

Some builds like dominators I would just build for rech, whereas others like a sent or a blaster will greatly benefit from the def route as priority. If you are going to be getting shot at or punched by enemies you cant lock down you usually will enjoy having softcapped def where possible.

You may want to build for insta snipe, but trying to cap damage or to hit or any of the other secondary buff types is pretty much impossible without outside assistance from teammates.

My opinion is that you should look at the sets you have selected and plug holes in weak points and then attempt to hit caps in other areas.  For example, I don't see the wisdom in getting +25% def on a resistance secondary when you could be hitting the cap on resistance instead and picking up other benefits as well. if you have a defense secondary then go ahead at stack it up that makes a lot of sense.

My opinion is that you should look at the sets you have selected and plug holes in weak points and then attempt to hit caps in other areas.  For example, I don't see the wisdom in getting +25% def on a resistance secondary when you could be hitting the cap on resistance instead and picking up other benefits as well. if you have a defense secondary then go ahead at stack it up that makes a lot of sense.

I disagree, but I'm genuinely curious.  Do you feel this way across archtypes as a general rule or do you feel this way for certain archtypes? 

I disagree, but I'm genuinely curious.  Do you feel this way across archtypes as a general rule or do you feel this way for certain archtypes?

I think it's relevant for any character that adds in Defense, but lacks Defense Debuff Resistance (DDR).  Let's say this character with the +25% defense from his sets goes and fights Cimerorans.  All those swords have -Def secondary effects on them.  Each hit strips some away, and it's not long before you've got no Defense left.

At least, that's what I'd take from this.

It depends on your build, and the inherent strengths of the primary/secondary you've chosen.  For example, my Willpower and Regen Sentinels already come equipped with lots of +regen and +recovery by default; therefore, I can make any bonuses to +regen and +recovery a lower priority.  Adding +defense and +resistance is a higher priority, because my builds are light on those. 

As someone else said, it's also better to focus on those specific types of defense or resistance that are more common/frequent, such as smashing/lethal/energy or ranged versus melee (unless you plan to be more of a "blapper").

For my Incarnates, my Alpha and Hybrid are focused on +damage, to compensate for the Sentinel's inherently weaker damage output.

@Rathstar

Energy/Energy Blaster (50+3) on Everlasting

Energy/Temporal Blaster (50+3) on Excelsior

Energy/Willpower Sentinel (50+3) on Indomitable

Energy/Energy Sentinel (50+1) on Torchbearer

The buildset i am most familiar with is fire/rad sent and with a that setup you do not need any def capped. just get above 25% and get resists and regen . The shielding and heal keep you alive through anything. Can do x4/x8  with a nice medium mix of res and def and rad also gives great dps with a build in haste.