AE farms

Almafeta

I know the Devs said that it was breaking the game, so be it. However, taking it down to 17 enemies was a bit silly IMO. It felt more like a punishment than a "fix" to me. I do not wish to punish those who love farming and power leveling. Just if they are going to play that way, they had better be willing to listen to other players who know how to play the game and understand the mechanics when on teams, otherwise they will find themselves playing a very lonely game.

I remain convinced that there were plenty of 'you will have fun our way' people running the live game.

Did these thing intersect with performance and other things?

Sure.

Does not mean, as the example noted suggests, there was not also a large dosage of 'play our way' involved.

Humans are human.

/QFT

Honestly, I'm tired enough of the arguments I say just slap an "I win" button in the P2W vendors, but the cost is you forever after have a GenericHero/Villain# name and costume.

/jranger

Eh, thats mean.  Id be fine with a 'instant lvl 50 and can put any IO in any slot and have all incarnates unlocked' along with a custom title you can never take off.

Would actually be useful.  "Is X worth taking all the way and IOing out?"  Make one, see if it works, and if you like it, play it up.  If it doesnt, you didnt spend months on something you arent satisfied with.  And heck, if all you want is the ending, not the journey - your already there, with a special title to say how awesome you are!

We could at that point turn off drops and xp and influence in AE entirely, as well.

Great Justice - Invuln/Energy Melee Tank

Ann Atomic - Radiation/Super Strength Tank

Elecutrix - Electric Blast/Super Reflexes Sentinel

Ramayael - Titan Weapons/Bio Scrapper

C'len - Spines/Bio Brute

Well the invention salvage currently is different because that is a partially controlled economy to a certain extent as the GMs have price capped those items with essentially endless supply at fixed prices. That's not to say your point about lack of supply is moot, you are certainly right the lack of supply played a big role as well although if we are being honest a lot of that lack of supply was due to traders buying up supply and slowing releasing it to market. I know this because I actively participated in it.

That said as someone who played live for many years the prices were not solely effected by supply, inflation was also a big part. I remember when cresting the 1B inf mark was an accomplishment of the richest class on live and I remember years later when the game shutdown I burned something like 200B on SG prestige because it didn't matter anymore and I certainly know people who had far larger sums of inf than me and plenty others I'm quite sure who I didn't know that did. That increase in what was considered a lot of INF was due to inflation, and that inflation effected market prices. Purples didn't just start to become more rare all of a sudden they were always rare, but more and more INF got added to the economy each day the game existed.

I think it's totally fair to bring up that farmers while accelerating inflation also feed the supply pool and feeding the supply pool is helpful to the general public. However it still grants increased wealth disparity and wealth conveys power in the economy/marketplace. Maybe most of these farmers quickly sell off goods and don't use their funds and goods to play the market in any way to their advantage, I can't really say. I know I exploit my advantage on the market, as Adeon pointed out the real INF is to be made in trading.

I agree the real influence was made in trading, that's how I funded all of my high end builds. I was the type though that made influence by volume, I didn't rely on maximizing profit for whatever I bought and sold. I'd find a niche, abuse it as much as I could as quickly as I could, and when the profit margin was small, I moved on to another one. I also didn't save much, the most influence I ever had at one time was somewhere around 7 billion I think, and I went through that in one afternoon putting together most of a build at buy it now prices. People like me may have raised the price floor, but we also lowered the ceiling. And when I did buy IOs for myself, it was almost always at prices to get it quickly, as I hated waiting for more than a day on a bid(same thing for me selling). Now I don't know the ratio of market people like me compared to people that did it your way, but I think both types overall helped the market. There are a lot of us that move as much influence around as quickly as possible which would fall directly into the hands of more casual players, but people like you would help keep a supply, even if you didn't dump it all at once.

I agree inflation was a big factor in prices, I don't think that can be denied. I just don't think it was a real problem like a lot of people made it out to be. With minimal effort, or patience, or a little bit of luck, anybody could be swimming in influence. I also feel that helped out newer players since a drop or two could really put them over the hump to make a character of theirs much more playable and fun. If there wasn't so much influence going around then it would have been much more difficult for them to get SOs every few levels, let alone craft a bunch of higher level common IOs.

And some things, like the PvP +3% defense unique, were intentionally made super rare by the development team so those prices would have always been stupid high relative to the amount of influence in the game. I've often seen that be the example people use since it would consistently go for 2 billion or more, but that was easily the most expensive IO through about I21-22ish(that's when I stopped playing, not sure how the newer IOs were priced).

Honestly, I'm not even sure we really disagree or much of anything, and it's not like have access to the data to know anything for sure. I just really like talking about it as I find the subject interesting, whether or not I'm right about my conclusions(I'm sure I'm wrong on a lot more than I realize lol).

And some things, like the PvP +3% defense unique, were intentionally made super rare by the development team so those prices would have always been stupid high relative to the amount of influence in the game. I've often seen that be the example people use since it would consistently go for 2 billion or more, but that was easily the most expensive IO through about I21-22ish(that's when I stopped playing, not sure how the newer IOs were priced).

I think it's also worth pointing out just how much of an anomaly that one IO was. Sure it was up at 2billion, but the next most expensive IO (the Shield wall +Resist IO) was only about 1 billion and even the more expensive purples tended to hover at 200-250million.

The Gladiators armor global is really a bad example to use when discussing the market. People tend to use it for shock value but the fact is you could make a decent non-purple build for less than the cost of that one IO. Even with purples you could easily buy 8-12 purple IOs for the cost.

Defender Smash!

Honestly, I'm tired enough of the arguments I say just slap an "I win" button in the P2W vendors, but the cost is you forever after have a GenericHero/Villain# name and costume.

/jranger

Eh, thats mean.  Id be fine with a 'instant lvl 50 and can put any IO in any slot and have all incarnates unlocked' along with a custom title you can never take off.

Would actually be useful.  "Is X worth taking all the way and IOing out?"  Make one, see if it works, and if you like it, play it up.  If it doesnt, you didnt spend months on something you arent satisfied with.  And heck, if all you want is the ending, not the journey - your already there, with a special title to say how awesome you are!

We could at that point turn off drops and xp and influence in AE entirely, as well.

I'll give that a half /jranger. Not my favorite idea with the completely turning off AE rewards, but I get it. Although I like power leveling my characters quickly, once I hit 50, the actual process of planning the build(which I'd still have to do obviously), coming up with the influence, merits, etc needed is also a process I enjoy immensely. I don't see myself using that particular option you suggested much, but if other people want to, don't see why I should oppose it.

I'd be perfectly fine with a title though if I were allowed to insta-50. Though that's mainly because I know there would be a random person here or there that would voice their judgment the second something went wrong, which would be extremely helpful way to weed out the crappy teammates.

I think it's also worth pointing out just how much of an anomaly that one IO was. Sure it was up at 2billion, but the next most expensive IO (the Shield wall +Resist IO) was only about 1 billion and even the more expensive purples tended to hover at 200-250million.

The Gladiators armor global is really a bad example to use when discussing the market. People tend to use it for shock value but the fact is you could make a decent non-purple build for less than the cost of that one IO. Even with purples you could easily buy 8-12 purple IOs for the cost.

I absolutely agree 100%. It was its own special case, and when people use that as the example I see it as a red flag. I don't necessarily dismiss them outright, but I become very suspect of what they are trying to say.

Farmers are gonna farm.

Lets be honest. Their impact on you will be:

• None as they or you solo.

• None as they are farming or in AE in general and you aren't.

• On your team helping you complete content faster since they have more pimped out builds.

• On your team not knowing how to play a build but not really impacting the team's performance is a real negative way.

• On your team not knowing how to play a build to the point of having a negative impact.

• Fighting you in PvP, and well, I don't recall PvP having rules about budgets.

You forgot one:

• In global sending you influence or enhancers because a couple million influence is nothing to them.

Damn it those scoundrels.

I mean I farm and would hate to see farming taken away but if we are being honest there is another way in which farmers negatively effect other players. Farmers generate much more INF than the average player and do so far faster. This creates wealth disparity and increases the rise of inflation of the in game economy. Wealth disparity will always exist as people's play times and effort levels differ but farming exacerbates it

People who kow how to play the AH and make money there also generate mucho more inf than the average player. Shall we remove the market too?