Biggest Damage Corruptor?

natewest1987

Hi All!

I've been working a Psi / Kinetics Corruptor and it's been pretty fun.  I really like when I'm able to pull off a big number execute on a mob.  I am curious if there is any combination of powersets that can put a corruptor at near the same level of raw damage as a Blaster?

Thanks for the input!

Fire/kin would be the obvious choice with fulcrum shift. Any fire primary with soul drain could also pump out some big numbers. You will probably never be quite where a blaster is, given they have higher damage buff caps, but that’s what I would suggest.

Side note, corruptors are not meant to be blasters. I always think of my secondary power set as my primary set because it should be used before you start attacking (I.e. “corrupt” your target with debuffs or buff yourself, then start blasting). If you are looking for pure damage your probably better off just playing a blaster.

Corruptors can get pretty close or surpass Blasters in some scenarios.  Technically, with Scourge factored in, a damage capped Corruptor's Blizzard does nearly the same damage as a damage capped Blaster's Blizzard. 

https://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Scourge

Rain powers maximize Scourge because each tick has its own chance to Scourge.  That means rain powers get essentially all of the theoretical 30% damage boost (see math in link).  So by comparison, Corruptor damage with maximized Scourge is 0.75 x 1.3 = 0.975 versus a Blaster's 1.125. 

So that gets us closer, but the important thing is that Corruptors are way more capable of hitting the damage cap than most Blasters.  /Kin has Fulcrum shift meaning your running at 500% damage all the time.  / /Dark or Soul gives you Soul drain, which also allows you to cruise in the 400+% range pretty consistently.  Blasters don't have as many tools to boost their own damage that high for extended periods of time. 

Add in -Resist powers and Corruptors can give Blasters a run for their money. 

Ice and Fire primary, /Kin, /Time, /Dark, /Storm, /Rad and //Dark or //Soul can be combined together to give some hefty damage.  I wouldn't do /Kin and //Dark or //Soul though as Fulcrum shift and Soul drain are redundant. 

You will probably never be quite where a blaster is, given they have higher damage buff caps, but that’s what I would suggest

Just to clarify, both classes have the same % damage buff cap (500%).  Blasters just have a larger base multiplier (1.125 vs 0.75)

Thanks for the replies.  If one were not to use kinetics, what do you think would be the biggest bang combination ?  I enjoyed psychic a lot and I don't love fire.  Looking mostly for strong execute damage, so big hits.    Which is why I've enjoyed psychic, but having trouble getting the most out of the psychic snipe attack without an accuracy booster.

Psy/Time/Dark would be pretty solid.  Check out this thread, and swap out the Fire blast attacks for your preferred Psy ones. 

https://forums.homecomingservers.com/index.php/topic,1697.0.html

Fire will do more damage, but there really aren't any unusable sets in this game.  You definitely won't be doing Blaster damage, but you'll be bringing way more support. 

Regarding the snipe, Farsight in /Time, Tactics and the Kismet +Acc IO can all help get you to the +22% to-hit needed for instant snipe.  Otherwise, Soul Drain can more than get you there when its available. 

• Like 1

To some extent, you can break down fights into two basic types: single target and multi-target.

Multi-target fights are when you approach a spawn and deliver a massive burst of damage against the entire group. In such a fight, an Ice/Kin Corruptor is arguably the best in the game at delivering this burst (without outside help) because they can be at the damage cap while using the most powerful of the ultimates. However, this is something of a unique trick to this particular pairing. Nothing outside of Fulcrum Shift will allow you to consistently hit the damage cap and nothing outside of Blizzard works as the delivery mechanism for the damage since its the only ultimate that can Scourge when used against full health foes. However, it's worth noting that the Blaster in your team will be more effective than you since they'll also gain the benefit of your Fulcrum Shift - it's just that you're better at it solo.

However, it's worth noting that this sort of multi-target damage tends to diminish in importance in team settings at 50 because everyone has a Judgement. When you're the one guy on the team that can wipe out an entire spawn, it's impressive. When you've merely got the 9th way to wipe out the spawn on the team, less so.

For single target damage, tools like Fulcrum Shift and Soul Drain aren't particularly worthwhile. You also tend to have far greater dependance on non-damage components like procs in your single target attacks. Here, the highest damage for a Corruptor would probably be either Beam/Storm or Dual Pistols/Storm, where you can couple -resist and damage in primary and secondary to maximize your damage. That being said, the Defender versions of those builds will normally be higher damage than the Corruptor versions.

That being said, these builds will suffer solo without the ability to keep enemies in the -resist patches (slow resist is very common amongst enemies at 50).

Thanks for the clarification, omega.

Hjarki also makes a good point about the slow resists at higher levels. People will just run out of your tarpatch and smack you around. People have also been clamoring lately about all of the psi resistance at high levels. Not all enemies will have psi resistance, but when they do it is pretty high.

I have never used /time (it looks super fun) but my favorite secondaries are by far /rad and /cold. Kin is fun too but very busy and I prefer debuffing as opposed to buffing. Play around with some different combos and find one you like. If you roll a /cold just know it is super late blooming.If it is pure damage you want fire and ice are probably your best bets for primaries, but like others have said pretty much everything is viable.

ice/storm/dark

cause i think a proc'd out iceblast chain is pretty scary and cause rains of scourge. Also perma soul drain means some pretty deadly tornadoes and lightning storms (even though the buff drops on them when soul drain expires)

cause i think a proc'd out iceblast chain is pretty scary and cause rains of scourge. Also perma soul drain means some pretty deadly tornadoes and lightning storms (even though the buff drops on them when soul drain expires)

Soul Drain doesn't affect Tornados and Lightning Storms. The only damage buffs they can receive are those slotted into them.

I played around tonight with cold / radiation and mostly liked it... I used the lines thing to compare damage  from power sets and, with the advice given here, confirmed that fire and ice are the best choices for me... just wish the ice animations were better, lol.

I’ve been reading the forums here and was wondering how you all might rank the following secondaries to pair with ice...  radiation / dark / time ??

What I didn’t like about time was the lack of a damage buff.  I liked that radiation had a damage buff plus lots of debuffs, too, but I’m worried about survivability.  Any thoughts ?

Soul Drain doesn't affect Tornados and Lightning Storms. The only damage buffs they can receive are those slotted into them.

that's unfortunate , I used to love power buildup and then casting LS and getting a couple super lightning blasts off on my storm/son defender.

Is that specific to the storm powers or does the same hold true for icestorm and other psuedo pets not being buffable?

I played around tonight with cold / radiation and mostly liked it... I used the lines thing to compare damage  from power sets and, with the advice given here, confirmed that fire and ice are the best choices for me... just wish the ice animations were better, lol.

I’ve been reading the forums here and was wondering how you all might rank the following secondaries to pair with ice...  radiation / dark / time ??

What I didn’t like about time was the lack of a damage buff.  I liked that radiation had a damage buff plus lots of debuffs, too, but I’m worried about survivability.  Any thoughts ?

I would go radiation, but I have never played time. The ice animations are awesome! So quick and sweet.

For Pure Damage: Fire Blast, and in turn Fire/Kin Cor.

For General Purpose I tend to Recommend: Fire Blast (Damage), Ice Blast (Damage and Utility), Water Blast (Utility, Durability, Damage)

For Solo 54+ GM Hunting: Illusion/Rad Con, Traps/Fire Def, Rad/Fire Def, Fire/Kin Cor, Cold/Fire Def ... probably a few other things.  You really want to leverage -regen and then multipliers.  ... and potentially other combos I've not remembered, and I'm not sure on the order, it will vary by build.

Defender vs Corruptor vs Blaster damage is complicated and depends heavily upon build.  ... And potentially team makeup as well, in that corruptors have a higher damage cap and teaming with additional +damage will give corruptors 5/4 damage.  However, outside those additional buffs, the better multiplier numbers can give defenders an edge in personal damage, and a definite edge in team damage for sets that have -resist or +damage multipliers.  Sets without the multipliers, like FF, if built without souldrain or any other APP multipliers will favor Corruptors heavily.  The most damage you will likely ever see will be a Kin Cold Duo for capped +damage and floored -resist resulting in ~9x damage.  The following is solo damage, 50+3, Fully Armored IO builds, T4 Incarnates.

This is just a sample excerpt.

All of the following have soloed a +4x8 ITF as a proving ground.  (Yes that means I soloed a +4x8 ITF with an Empath)

Both Nature Builds are more or less mirrors.  Note the higher ST DPS is on the defender, and the AoE isn't exactly slacking.

Rating is avg(ST%,AoE%,AoE%);  I emphasize AoE more, as the game rewards AoE more.

Yes there are builds that exceed the 100% mark, I used Fire/Atomic Sniper as an arbitrary 100%.

ST DPS was measured vs Pylons.

AoE was measured as ~15 minute average MPL vs Fire Farms. (Yes that means I Fire Farm(ed) with an Empath)

Armored Fire/Atomic/Scorpion Sniper Blaster: 100%, 324 (100%) ST DPS, 10 (100%) MPL

Armored Time/Fire/Dark Defender: 87%, 310 (96%) ST DPS, 12 (83%) MPL

Armored Emp/Fire/Dark Defender: 79%, 250 (77%) ST DPS, 13 (80%) MPL

Armored Fire/Nature/Dark Corruptor: 78%, 325 (100%) ST DPS, 15 (67%) MPL

Armored Nature/Fire/Dark Defender: 76%, 335 (103%) ST DPS, 16 (63%) MPL

AE 801 (link) is a variety of missions for fun and challenge, and is designed for a team of 5+ Incarnates.  Just search '801' in AE. 

801 Difficulty Varies: 801.0 Easy, ..., 801.2 Standard, ..., 801.5 Hard, ..., 801.8 Extreme, ..., 801.A Epic, ... 801.F Death.

Angel Hornet (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ASF (link)   -   Solo 2-Star ITF (link)

I may be AFK IRL, But CoH is my Forever Home.

Comparing solo numbers between a nature/fire defender and a fire/nature corruptor can be misleading for comparing the two classes as a whole. Like you said, it's complicated and depends heavily upon the build.

Firstly, Vigilance's damage buff doesn't work outside of solo (which is where you'd be most of the time as a Defender). This is a common mistake people make, Vigilance is not a good inherent and should be advertised as such so it's eventually fixed.

Secondly, Nature favors Defenders for buffing damage due to having two powers that do so (Overgrowth gives 16.5% more damage, Corossive Enzymes gives 6.25% more -res). For support sets like Time, the difference is just one power (Slowed Response) and for sets like Kinetics there's almost no difference.

Lastly there's the issue of damage cap which you raised. In a solo farm environment this can be an issue if you wanna use insps and have a saturated soul drain, and in a team environment the cap is definitely felt often.