Rad/Rad Corruptor or Defender? Ready ... Comment!

Argulus

Was looking to make a Rad/Rad corruptor, but I am not seeing much in the way of builds or replies in the Corruptor area of the forum, so is Rad/Rad just not that great as a Corruptor?

TechnoPrime - Robotics/Gadgets MM

Project Exo-Fusion - Warshade

RAD Hammer - Rad/Rad Brute

Battle Master - Kin/EA Scrapper

Wave Lord - Storm/Water Defender

I think I'm in a minority but I don't love my Fire/Rad corruptor. It is totally reliant on the toggle debuffs and LR for damage and survivability, but when soloing it has no tools to keep mobs close together for the debuffs. I am not able to solo as well as /Storm or /Dark corruptors.

I think I'm in a minority but I don't love my Fire/Rad corruptor. It is totally reliant on the toggle debuffs and LR for damage and survivability, but when soloing it has no tools to keep mobs close together for the debuffs. I am not able to solo as well as /Storm or /Dark corruptors.

/Rad for me has always been a set that works well in a group... and is disappointing while solo. It's not just you. /Dark and /Cold have replaced what /Rad used to be in the olden times, and better in a few ways. YMMV of course.

My main was a fire/dark on live. Though very good solo, did not have enough -regen to solo an AV.  I got a little tired of tar patch + rain of fire + fire ball repeat.

To OPs original question, i wasn’t a huge fan of radiation blast on live, but that was a long time ago. The AE was kinda meh, the big damage single target attack, though it offered nice soft CC with the stun, the range was so short. Because I found the blast set so underwhelming, I would probs all suggest rolling it as a defender for the bigger debuffs and heal (I personally don’t like defenders, but I just prefer scourge).

If you aren’t set on rad as your blast choice, maybe consider a different pairing? I hear water is a lot of fun. I am loving the ice/cold I have been leveling and ice would also go nicely with /rad.  Sonic/rad is also good, but again probably better on a defender given the -regen from sonic.

• Thanks 1

So based on the comments so far, I would say leaning toward making this a defender and planning on grouping more often than soloing. 

Any other votes or input?  Bueller . . . Bueller . . .

TechnoPrime - Robotics/Gadgets MM

Project Exo-Fusion - Warshade

RAD Hammer - Rad/Rad Brute

Battle Master - Kin/EA Scrapper

Wave Lord - Storm/Water Defender

I would go Defender for this combo. Defenders are pretty ruthless now with the +30% damage buff they get solo.

Radiation Blasts best power is Irradiate, a PBAoE damage over time with a very fast animation. This means you'll be spending a lot of time up close with enemies and will benefit from the extra defense capability of a Defender.

Rad Blast's nuke is a PBAoE with a Mag 3 hold. It will stack with Choking Cloud, should you choose to.use that power.

• Thanks 1

I don’t use Rad/Rad, however, my Fire/Rad Corruptor has no problem with solo content.

1. Turn on Afterburner and step around a corner.

2. Lay down toggles.

3. Turn off Afterburner.

4. Annihilate the enemy that approaches.

Any Primary would function the same.

Edited by Myrmidon
  • Like 1

Playing CoX is it’s own reward

• 1 month later

The only defender I could play consistently enough to get to level 50 in the old days was RAD/RAD. Sure the blast set was underwhelming, but Radiation Emission was simply amazing. Especially since EMP pulse hadn't been nerfed. You could hit AIM, then iridate, then EMP Pulse, go make a sandwich, grab a beer, and mobs would still be held when you got back to your PC and fired off Atomic Blast. And even after the Nerf that defender was easily one of my favorite toons. Heck I might just build him again so I can see what a monster he'd be with IO sets and incarnate powers. Not to mention insta snipe, and a crashless nuke.

Edited by DocRadio