Darkness Control - Umbra Beast - IO Set Issue

Have an issue with dark/dark character in which a Fear IO Set will not go into the Umbra Beast.  Please note, this is NOT a purple set that is in question, but the IO Set "Glimpse of the Abyss"  According to "allowed" enhancements and sets within the specific power, "fear" is listed as an acceptable IO Set.  Glimpse of the Abyss has been slotted in to Fearsome Stare and Haunt.  When it is attempted to put Glimpse of the Abyss in to the Umbra Beast, the set is not recognized as an acceptable set to put in.  I have reached out to quite a few people within game and the Discord channel and no one can seem to explain as to why this is not an acceptable set.    Very confuzzled.  Please help?

This should really be in the generic Bug Reports forum as it's not specific to the beta build. This was actually around on Live.

Umbra Beast (the power) says it accepts Fear IO sets because Umbra Beast (the pet) has Terrifying Roar, which can inherit Fear Enhancements from Umbra Beast (the power). The reason those sets can't actually be slotted though, is likely because Umbra Beast (the power) doesn't itself actually accept Fear Enhancements.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

Trickschooter,

This is my Girlfreind's character. We have been trying to slot a fear set into Umbra Beast for a while now, yet it shows that fear sets ARE allowed in it. So please explain as to why it's not allowing us when it clearly states that we can definitely slot fear into it.  

haha.PNG

Screenshot (84).png

Apologies for posting here, but according to another community member, they posted under the "Generic Bug Report" but never received an answer.  They posted the same issue well over a month ago.  Therefore, I thought it best to post here for the question to stand out more and hope to receive a quicker response.    With that being said, Umbra Beast "power" (which then summons the pet)  as you say accepts the Fear IO Set.   So, unsure how the Umbra "power" vs. the "pet" are considered different?

10 hours ago, Exlixer said:

Trickschooter,

This is my Girlfreind's character. We have been trying to slot a fear set into Umbra Beast for a while now, yet it shows that fear sets ARE allowed in it. So please explain as to why it's not allowing us when it clearly states that we can definitely slot fear into it.  

haha.PNG

Screenshot (84).png

I realize that Fear is listed as an accepted IO Set Category, but please notice that neither screen lists Enhance Fear as Allowed Enhancements.

As I said in my post, the power says it accepts Fear Set IOs because Terrifying Roar will happily inherit Fear boosts slotted in to Umbral Beast (the power), but the real bug is that you can't actually slot Fear in to Umbral Beast.

Buff Trick Arrows! | Buff Poison! | Powerset Suggestions: Circus Performers Telepathy | Old Powerset Suggestions:  Probability Distortion | Magnetism | Hyper-Intellect

Some day, the prophecy will be fulfilled; Trick Arrows will be buffed and I will finally be allowed to diehttps://twitter.com/trickshootah

The Strange Relationship between Damage Buffs and Damage Resistance OR "Why doesn't Power Boost work on Cold Shields!?"

9 minutes ago, Trickshooter said:

I realize that Fear is listed as an accepted IO Set Category, but please notice that neither screen lists Enhance Fear as Allowed Enhancements.

As I said in my post, the power says it accepts Fear Set IOs because Terrifying Roar will happily inherit Fear boosts slotted in to Umbral Beast (the power), but the real bug is that you can't actually slot Fear in to Umbral Beast.

So this is, indeed, a bug.  Thank you for the confirmation.

12 hours ago, StormyWeathers said:

Apologies for posting here, but according to another community member, they posted under the "Generic Bug Report" but never received an answer.  They posted the same issue well over a month ago.  Therefore, I thought it best to post here for the question to stand out more and hope to receive a quicker response.    With that being said, Umbra Beast "power" (which then summons the pet)  as you say accepts the Fear IO Set.   So, unsure how the Umbra "power" vs. the "pet" are considered different?

Setting up a power to accept an enhancement type and setting up a power to accept a set category are two different things that have to be manually set. Flagging one does not flag the other. That's why Umbral Beast says it can accept Fear IOs, but can't be slotted with Fear, and similarly why it can be slotted with Immobilize, but can't accept Immobilize IOs.

Flagging a power to accept a set category kind of just "unlocks" the sets within that category for a power, but that itself does not make them slottable. Those sets are still considered an enhancement type, and if the power can't accept that type, then those sets can't be slotted.

So someone flagged Umbral Beast (the power) to accept Fear IO sets because they saw that Umbral Beast (the pet) had a Fear power, but those sets are still considered Fear Enhancements (even the pieces that don't enhance Fear), which Umbral Beast (the power) isn't flagged to accept.

Edited by Trickshooter

53 minutes ago, StormyWeathers said:

So this is, indeed, a bug.  Thank you for the confirmation.

Yes, I hope you didn't think I was originally saying it wasn't. I was just trying to point out that what you were posting about was more of a symptom, and the real bug was that Umbral Beast can't accept Fear Enhancements. Fixing that would resolve the symptom.

34 minutes ago, Maxzero said:

The real Umbra beast bug is the unending Howling sfx.

It's gotten to the point where I am thinking of replacing with sound file with one of silence.

Do it, if something's bugging you now, that's only going to get worse.

╔═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╗

Clave's Sure-Fire Secrets to Enjoying City Of Heroes
Don't bother with those farming chores...
Skip your homework on the Market...
Play any power sets that you want...
Because this game is easy.  Go have fun!

You'll be perfectly fine, promise! 

╚═══════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════════╝

There's a lot of powers in the game that don't accept the proper sets, particularly pet powers.  Homecoming fixed a lot of them (e.g., you couldn't slot Defense Sets on the Protector Bot on Live even though it takes Defense enhancements), but they apparently missed a few, like the Umbra Beast.

Report it as a bug (and bear in mind that the dev team is rather busy right now, what with all the Sniper changes and other things oooh mysterious, so they might not get to it for a while).

• Jimmy locked this topic