Character Build Help - AT choice for Psi Melee and Shield Defense

Blackbird71

I have a character concept I'm trying to bring to life using Psionic Melee and Shield Defense.  I am considering either a Scrapper, Brute, or Tanker (I have enough Stalkers, and the style doesn't really fit the concept I'm going for).  Aside from the general reasons for choosing these ATs, is there any reason that one would perform better than the other with regards to this particular combination of powers?

For example, I had read some claims that SD actually works best on Scrappers, but I haven't seen an explanation as to why.

Any input is appreciated!

The argument for Shield Defense working better on Scrappers is something I haven't seen, but if I had to make an educated guess it would go something like this:

Firstly, it's a defense-based set.  There's a little bit of resistance in Deflection and True Grit, but overall it's a set about avoiding hits rather than reducing the damage of hits that connect.  To that end, every archetype has the same cap for defense, but Scrappers have a lower resistance cap than Brutes or Tankers (75%, compared to 90%).  Which is not to say that resistance is bad on Scrappers, it's just that everyone is able to dodge equally well.

Secondly, its taunt toggle, Against All Odds, which gives you +damage for each nearby enemy.  Not only is the bonus bigger for Scrappers (it's not enormous - only 12.5% for the first and 6.88% for the second and additional, compared to 10% and 5.5% for the others - but it's there) but with their higher melee damage modifier they can do more with it.  Frequent yet transitory debates about Scrapper versus Brute damage aside, of course.

With regard to Tanker performance, their defensive sets all have higher values for defensive stats, i.e. resistance and defense.  Deflection on Scrappers and Brutes is 11.5% melee defense, for example, while on Tankers it's 15%.  This also extends to Grant Cover, their PBAoE toggle that gives your teammates additional defense.

As a Scrapper main I eat a steady diet of crayons and glue to keep my wits sharp and my reflexes honed.

SD will give you the most damage on Scrappers for the reasons Zumberge mentioned, plus Shield Charge the way Shield Charge summons as a sort of psuedo pet it is significantly better for them as well. So if damage is your primary goal Scrapper is definitely what you want.

Brutes will do less damage, but with more HP and higher caps for resist, they will be more survivable. Tanks have better base defense numbers.

Zumberge nailed it. It's worth putting extra emphasis on AAO being a strong taunt aura. Taunt auras aren't a given on scrappers, and they're very helpful to let you keep everything nice and tight for your AoEs when you're solo (or lacking any brute/tanker on the team).

That is to say, if all scrapper sets had similarly strong taunt auras, scrappers would tend to be better choices for just about every secondary that isn't resistance. Damage is king, and (given equivalent sets) scrappers deal more damage than brutes once IOed out. This wasn't always true, but ATOs have shaken up the equilibrium towards making scrappers even more damaging and brutes even sturdier.

So when you look at /shield, a defense-based set with strong +damage buffs, it's a no brainer. Even the amount of resistance you get will bring you, with IOs, flirting with the 75% res cap without going over. There's nothing wrong with a /shield brute, but it's a set that seems custom made for scrappers.

Captain America picked Scrapper, and you should too!

I always felt Cap was a tank.

Captain America is the one who will stand in the front lines, taking a beating, so people can escape. He is one who will, without a moments hesitation, put himself between an enemy and basically anyone else.  He is one who does not believe in the phrases 'collateral damage' and 'acceptable losses'. He is one who will without hesitation, or any thought of self preservation, sacrifice himself to save others.

Cap is a tank.

Always happy to answer questions in game, typically hanging around Help.
Global is @Zolgar, and tends to be tagged in Help.

Captain America picked Scrapper, and you should too!

I always felt Cap was a tank.

Captain America is the one who will stand in the front lines, taking a beating, so people can escape. He is one who will, without a moments hesitation, put himself between an enemy and basically anyone else.  He is one who does not believe in the phrases 'collateral damage' and 'acceptable losses'. He is one who will without hesitation, or any thought of self preservation, sacrifice himself to save others.

Cap is a tank.

Yep. I completely agree with this. Everything about Cap's fighting style, teamwork style, and leadership style screams being a highly-competent-in-melee tank with a maxed out leadership pool. While he can put a beating down when necessary, he is constantly protecting, protecting, protecting, and drawing all fire onto himself then absorbing it with his shield, as his primary role on the team outside of just leading them with highly refined sense of both strategy and tactics.

I had actually been leaning towards Brute for the survivability aspect as I do solo a lot.  I enjoy scrappers in general, but they can be somewhat squishy.  However, you all have convinced me to give scrapper a try for this build.  Thanks for the great feedback!

Psi Melee works well for Tankers since it's by design and function a CC melee set that helps your team survive. And while you don't get your biggest AoE until level 38, Gauntlet does a decent job of keeping aggro on you until then.

I do want to clarify (as was pointed out to me recently to my great disappointment), the issue with Shield Brutes is specific to Shield Charge:

Brutes have a low damage multiplier, offset by their high +damage cap of (iirc) 750%.

But when you use Shield Charge, it summons a pet with a duplicate of all your buffs (including Fury) and it deals the damage for you.  So what's the problem?

Pets have a damage cap of 400% (again, iirc).

Now granted, if you're running around solo, I have a feeling 400's about where you'd be at with Fury, AaO, and Enhancements, and it's probably no great loss.

But in an "ideal" situation (pocket kin), a Brute deals [moderate number]*4 and a Scrapper deals [slightly larger number]*4.

I enjoy scrappers in general, but they can be somewhat squishy.

Not sure I have ever seen squishy and Scrapper in the same sentence. :)

Hence the qualifier "somewhat".  I've had scrappers that when soloing could easily get in over their heads when I'm not careful or just get unlucky with mob locations.

I've had scrappers that when soloing could easily get in over their heads

That's just part of being a scrapper.

Top 10 Most Fun 50s.

1. Without Mercy: Claws/ea Scrapper. 2. Outsmart: Fort 3. Sneakers: Stj/ea Stalker. 4. Emma Strange: Ill/dark Controller. 5. Project Next: Ice/stone Brute. 6. Waterpark: Water/temp Blaster. 6. Mighty Matt: Rad/bio Brute. 7. Without Hesitation: Claws/sr Scrapper. 8. Within Reach: Axe/stone Brute. 9. Without Pause: Claws/wp Brute.  10. Chasing Fireworks: Fire/time Controller. 

"Downtime is for mortals. Debt is temporary. Fame is forever."