Does anyone ever not take an Epic pool for concept reasons?

dmaker

I have a level 45 MA/WP Brute that is my current favorite. I took energy mastery as I was initially drawn to the regen/recovery and accuracy aspects. But after reading some lately, it doesn't look like it really buys all that much. But my character concept is a Batman type one where I don't want laser beams or anything that would not fit with that concept.

So my question is, has anyone here completely avoided selecting an Epic pool? Maybe focus on leadership for those choices? I sometimes find where i have to choose a power and nothing really appeals to me. I have all that I want from MA and WP right now. Not interested in a self rez, and I skipped the one MA attack that does knock back, so I seem to have a surplus of power slots that I was filling with choices from Epic. But maybe I should respec and take things from Leadership.

For my travel power I take Super Jump and just "pretend" that I'm not leaping but that I'm really using a rope or cable. That's my concept justification :)  So not looking for Flight or Super Speed either. If I need better vertical, I put on a P2W rocket pack.

Superior Conditioning is a great power for /WP since it multiplies the rest of your recovery.  Physical Perfection might not do a ton, but it does at least serve as a slot mule.

Although if you're Batman, I really feel like you should have Darkest Night...

I usually guide my concept by what I want to do rather than the other way around.  Even Batman gets flashy superpowers when the writing calls for it.

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

Sure, some builds just go without an epic pool. It works fine.

Superior Conditioning and Physical Perfection are fine powers. /WP doesn't always need them because it handles endurance pretty well by itself, but if you want more endurance, they're great.

Focused Accuracy is a terrible all-the-time toggle; its accuracy and tohit buff are pretty small, its endurance cost is really high, and few builds need the extra accuracy anyway. It's a solid debuff resistance toggle though: it makes you highly resistant to -tohit and -perception, so you can laugh off smoke grenades, Hurricanes, Darkest Night, etc. You turn it on when facing those enemies, then turn it off. I used this to solo Lanaru The Mad.

I think the leadership powers would be a great choice. Maneuvers adds some pretty good defense to the whole team and a place for an LotG recharge and then you get another LotG slot if you take vengeance. Then tactics or assault, whichever you need. So that's 15% recharge, around 5% defense (when slotted) and either tohit or dmg. I really like leadership.

I got plenty of chars without Epic pool for concept reasons although, for a Batman based char, it's a shame Brutes don't get Munitions Mastery as Scrappers do since throwing Shurikens might mimic the whatever gadgets bat shaped Batman throws (can't remember their names, sorry).

I got plenty of chars without Epic pool for concept reasons although, for a Batman based char, it's a shame Brutes don't get Munitions Mastery as Scrappers do since throwing Shurikens might mimic the whatever gadgets bat shaped Batman throws (can't remember their names, sorry).

I just stock up on the envenomed dagger from P2W. They pack a pretty decent punch and the power recharges very fast. I love them.

A concept for me is just that, a concept. I tend to build a character then have an explanation as to why they have their powers, rather than picking powers as I go which end up conflicting with said concept. If I am going to use the epic power pools then I can easily explain away why they have those abilities. In comics there have been cases of super heroes/heroines using abilities outside of their own powersets whether it be from acquiring different tech, using some artifact or other object that grants them temporary abilities etc...so yeah anything can be explained away. I digress though, I can't say I've deliberately skipped an E. TPP purely for reasons of a concept. If I skip an epp it is generally because it simply doesn't mechanically benefit the character I am playing. That si the beauty of this game however, there are so many different ways to build a character, you'll be fine if you don't take an epp. I like roleplay concepts, but I am also a bit of a min/maxer admittedly so I try to fit in both.