Black Screen

Guardian Rhykon

• City Council

Hey, sorry you all are having this problem. We have a few reports of players that are no longer able to the load the client as of the recent Windows 10 update (1903).

Where do you all have City of Heroes installed? (Where is the CoH folder located on your computer?) Feel free to block out your computer username if it is shown in the path.

Thanks!

Cipher

City Council

If you need help, please submit a support request here or use /petition in-game.

Got time to spare? Want to see Homecoming thrive? Consider volunteering as a Game Master!

• 3 weeks later
On 7/26/2019 at 9:17 PM, Guardian Rhykon said:

It's in C:\Users\*my name*\Documents\City of Heroes

I saw elsewhere in the forums that if it's in the Documents folder it can create some permission issues. try putting it in a C:\Game\CoH folder 

I'm having a sudden similar issue. game was running, had a  BSOD, now the game won't load. just a black screen. Still troubleshooting.

I am running windows 8 and after 9/29 update I cannot load COH. It goes to black screen and I have to hard reboot. Regular, 64 bit and safe mode: none of them will run. I even reinstalled everything. Still having the same problem.

Edited by jennfyn
It's happening again.

Windows 7.  I just downloaded tequila late last night (8/22).  I hear the music, but see the black screen too.

Edit: digging deeper, it said my drivers are not up to date.  According to intel.com they are.

My opinion: I need a newer, better computer.

Edited by Nemeroff

"What are dominators... Much like a spider traps a bug, wraps it up, then starts chewing on it when it's completely unable to escape or defend itself."

game ran fine yesterday, today after i hit play all i get is a black screen and then a reboot pop up from norton saying i need to reboot to remove the security risk, did not happen until i tried to launch game

norton shows :

cityof heros.exe

(SONAR,ProcHijack!g45)detected by SONAR

fixed it, well sort of.  Game runs fine as long as i turn off SONAR in norton, kills game even though i put the CoH.exe file in as an exception. so for now i have to turn off SONAR while i play til i figure a way to let it run.

Edited by JunkyardWolf

Try starting the game in Windowed mode if you're doing so in FS. What's possibly happening is you're getting the AV notice window Behind COX while still getting the standard windows "darken the screen" thing when you get a system message. Make sure to not only white list the game app, but the entire folder to remove chance of getting flagged. I (must have) done this day one because I've Yet to get what most of you guys experience wrt the AV software. Granted, I also have my game installed inside a C:\Games\COX folder which will have NO permissions issues (another major issue on the boards).

OG Server: Pinnacle  <||>  Current Primary Server: Torchbearer  ||  Also found on the others if desired

Installing CoX:  Windows  ||  MacOS  ||  MacOS for M1  <||>  Migrating Data from an Older Installation

Clubs: Mid's Hero Designer  ||  PC Builders  ||  HC Wiki  ||  Jerk Hackers

Old Forums  <||>  Titan Network  <||>  Heroica! (by @Shenanigunner)

• 2 weeks later
On 8/23/2019 at 10:11 AM, jennfyn said:

I am running windows 8 and after 8/22 update I cannot load COH. It goes to black screen and I have to hard reboot. Regular, 64 bit and safe mode: none of them will run. I even reinstalled everything. Still having the same problem.

Found some instructions elsewhere that worked for me. go into regedit and delete the [Cryptic] folder. at some point it put it back automatically without me having to do a complete reinstall.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later