Recipe storage in SG bases

Ok, so can we all agree that the storage management for in-game items is limited? Before when players were running only a few alts it was no big deal, but now everyone is running tons of alts, and the only known way to share recipes amongst your alts is by way of email. Plus it doesn't make sense why only salvage can be stored in your base but not recipes, not to mention you can't even run a /ah command to at least grab recipes out of the auction house while you're in your base - I tried and it's not allowed. Yeah, the game's 15 years old, I get that, but under no circumstances should anyone be emailing themselves anything. We're way past the days of Yahoo. 

Edited by MageAgainstTheRegime
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

Ok, so can we all agree that the storage management for in-game items is limited? Before when players were running only a few alts it was no big deal, but now everyone is running tons of alts, and the only known way to share recipes amongst your alts is by way of email. Plus it doesn't make sense why only salvage can be stored in your base but not recipes, not to mention you can't even run a /ah command to at least grab recipes out of the auction house while you're in your base - I tried and it's not allowed. Yeah, the game's 15 years old, I get that, but under no circumstances should anyone be emailing themselves anything. We're way past the days of Yahoo. 

Dude, emailing stuff to an alt was something added WAY late on live. Like, final year of development late.

Hell, I joined the game right before i14 dropped and I remember being used as an inf-mule for a guy so he could transfer funds to an alt from his farmer because 'email to alt' simply didn't exist yet.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

You are aware that you can store enhancements in your base right?  SG bases have an 18 storage item limit, so depending on how you have your salvage setup you might not have realized it.  Put in some enhancement tables and store the created enhancement there.

Before I took a break for FF14 I had my base setup with 14 salvage bins and 4 enhancement tables.  Salvage was split into 7 bins for Magic and 7 for Tech.  Those 7 bins were setup as 1 for Rare, 3 for Common and 3 for Uncommons.  The commons and uncommons were split into the 3 tiers as well.  It works out to being able to store 15 of each common/uncommon salvage and have a little wiggle room.  As for the 4 enhancement tables I have 3 are setup for generic IOs in certain lvl ranges and the 4th is for my set IOs to sit until a character needs them.   Of course I also store some IOs in my character's enhancement trays as well since we have so many of them.

TL:DR  Instead of shuttling the recipes around, create them and store them either in a base enhancement table or your characters enhancement trays.

Edited by Auranyte
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Auranyte said:

TL:DR  Instead of shuttling the recipes around, create them and store them either in a base enhancement table or your characters enhancement trays.

He’s talk about recipes...you can’t store them anywhere except in the AH.  And even then that doesn’t help with transferring them to another character.

@MageAgainstTheRegimei’m Sure the email client could use a huge overhaul.  Personally, I am a +1 for recipe catalogs in bases allowing you to store them and swap them...

EDIT:  @AuranyteI owe you an apology.  I didn't read your post clearly enough to see that you were already talking about recipes...

Edited by justicebeliever
Apologies
  • Like 1

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

4 hours ago, Voldine said:

Dude, emailing stuff to an alt was something added WAY late on live. Like, final year of development late.

Hell, I joined the game right before i14 dropped and I remember being used as an inf-mule for a guy so he could transfer funds to an alt from his farmer because 'email to alt' simply didn't exist yet.

I remember that

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auranyte said:

@Auranyte That's my whole point, the base has salvage storage and enhancement tables - why leave out recipes? That's one of the benefits of having a base, to store and share not just some stuff, but ALL your stuff. The only time I use enhancement tables is after I respec and need a place to dump leftover vanilla IOs that I end up either selling or slotting on my lower alts. I think 3 things need to happen:

1. Allow all items either bought or earned to be stored and shared across your account at the base. This should also include influence.

2. Allow the /ah command to work while in your base (why you can access the auction house from anywhere else in the game but your base makes absolutely no sense).

3. If steps 1 and 2 actually become a thing and players with no bases start finding out how good base management is, people will start building bases and stop using the email system, at which time email can be eliminated for good.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Screw that stored items eat up the 20k item cap used for making bases. we dont need more stinking storage eating up precious space used for creation. if its really that big a deal for you create an alt account and a storage mule to dual box transfer. Or just craft the recipes.

But its not really needed, has no one explained to you that really now days just sale everything on the ah  and buy attuned set Es to you? Only lvl 50 purple recipes are worth crafting and storing. with the expanded enhancement storage on each character and the practice of just mailing a few hand me down attuned set bits as needed to later alts of capped characters that have unslotted their old lvling sets for lvl 50 purple sets you shouldnt need to do more then a few email transfers at a time.

Because seriously crafting set bits is basically a newb trap now. Sell recipes, buy already made attuned. and leave the recipes and crafting for those who just like crafting. Me I dont have time to craft Im busy playing, running multiple SGs and mentoring dozens of players. Who has time for crafting blah!

1 hour ago, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

@Auranyte That's my whole point, the base has salvage storage and enhancement tables - why leave out recipes? That's one of the benefits of having a base, to store and share not just some stuff, but ALL your stuff. The only time I use enhancement tables is after I respec and need a place to dump leftover vanilla IOs that I end up either selling or slotting on my lower alts. I think 3 things need to happen:

1. Allow all items either bought or earned to be stored and shared across your account at the base. This should also include influence.

2. Allow the /ah command to work while in your base (why you can access the auction house from anywhere else in the game but your base makes absolutely no sense).

3. If steps 1 and 2 actually become a thing and players with no bases start finding out how good base management is, people will start building bases and stop using the email system, at which time email can be eliminated for good.

You cant access the ah from your base because your base is not in the game world space. Its basically a real pocket dimension unlike pocket D.  Why Should a base allow across the account storage? Most of us do not keep all our toons in one SG.

Leave my email alone, its not just for self trading, its used for actual communication as well.

Frankly it sounds to me like you have a  problem with hoarding and let stuff build up to the point it becomes difficult to manage, thats a you problem not a dev problem nor game flaw. I can use the mail to send a full 6 bit set to an alt quite rapidly.

3 hours ago, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

You are describing a re-architecture of how characters/accounts/supergroups relate to each other...Supergroup bases aren't at the account level at all, they are tied to characters and are unaware of accounts...At this point all items have been re-architected away from accounts as well...every, except for the characters themselves are at the character level...You'd have to allow someone to access SG bases across shards, etc...I'm not saying how easy or hard it would be for the Dev's to do this...I'm saying it would have impacts across the game that I can't even imagine, which always makes me shy away

For #2, the Dev's have said it's an impossibility at this time.  It's not a coding issue, it becomes a performance issue...Not sure the specific details, but it's off the table...

Like I said, I would big fan of a recipe catalog for bases...People who don't want them wouldn't have to use them, no unintended impacts...

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

3 hours ago, Bentley Berkeley said:

just sale everything on the ah  and buy attuned set Es to you? Only lvl 50 purple recipes are worth crafting and storing.

I don't just sell everything. I sell what will not be used across all my toons, otherwise if one of my alts has recipes that another needs, why would I sell it? That makes no sense. And frankly, I don't get hard-ons for purples only. Yeah they're extremely beneficial, but there's other IO sets that are just as important.

But its not really needed

Neither is cooldown timers and color coding player names, but they added it.

if its really that big a deal for you create an alt account and a storage mule to dual box transfer.

I might as well also create 2 dropbox accounts. For what?

Who has time for crafting blah!

Right, it's only one of the most popular elements of the game, just like farming, badge hunting, buying/selling... Who has time for that?

Why Should a base allow across the account storage?

Because it already was setup this way to allow salvage to be shared across the account. 

Most of us do not keep all our toons in one SG.

You'd be surprised.

Leave my email alone, its not just for self trading, its used for actual communication as well.

Sure. I use floppy disks to store all my data, so I can easily relate.

Frankly it sounds to me like you have a  problem with hoarding and let stuff build up to the point it becomes difficult to manage

Depends on what your interpretation of hoarding is, but since you don't have any sufficient details that provide exactly how much inventory I have, I'm not sure how you were able to reach that conclusion.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

I don't just sell everything. I sell what will not be used across all my toons, otherwise if one of my alts has recipes that another needs, why would I sell it? That makes no sense. And frankly, I don't get hard-ons for purples only. Yeah they're extremely beneficial, but there's other IO sets that are just as important.

Neither is cooldown timers and color coding player names, but they added it.

I might as well also create 2 dropbox accounts. For what?

Right, it's only one of the most popular elements of the game, just like farming, badge hunting, buying/selling... Who has time for that?

Because it already was setup this way to allow salvage to be shared across the account. 

You'd be surprised.

Sure. I use floppy disks to store all my data, so I can easily relate.

Depends on what your interpretation of hoarding is, but since you don't have any sufficient details that provide exactly how much inventory I have, I'm not sure how you were able to reach that conclusion.

If you wanna be snarky and come across as a jerk that's your choice, but it won't make people agree with you more. There seems to be a propensity for people to become defensive and frankly rude when others do not agree with their suggestions... hate to break it to you, but it's gonna happen. So you can either be that poster who replies all rude and eventually just gets ignored.. or you can temper your replies and make sure they are more mature and be taken seriously. 

1. The storage system code is extremely complex and would require a lot of developer time to create what you are asking for... but if you feel like you could do the code in your spare time and share it I am sure the devs would appreciate the help.

2. There is already a system to store recipes either character wide (at the auction house) or account wide (email)... just because you don't like those methods.. doesn't mean they are not effective. 

3. Cool down timers... never existed - so that was a new feature that allowed players to do something they never could before. Same with color coded names... new feature that you couldn't do before. You can already store recipes... it may seem inconvenient to you, but the function already exists. 

4. See #1 about the /ah command inside a base. This would tax the system incrediblly as each person inside a base would be opening up their own instance of the auction house...inside a separate instanced map. Had you done a modicum of research on this topic you would have seen this explained numerous times over and over on why it would be an absolutely horrible idea for the HC servers. 

2 hours ago, Burnt Toast said:

If you wanna be snarky and come across as a jerk that's your choice, but it won't make people agree with you more. 

Well I think there's better ways of offering someone suggestions. "You have a problem with hoarding" is a dick thing to say, maybe trying something like, "you might want to consider doing <this> instead." If you think I'm doing it because of some sort of popularity contest, then you stand to be corrected.  It's how I react to those types of comments.

Aside from that, thank you for the info.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

Well I think there's better ways of offering someone suggestions. "You have a problem with hoarding" is a dick thing to say, maybe trying something like, "you might want to consider doing <this> instead." It's not a popularity contest, it's how I react to those types of comments.

For what it's worth, I read the prior posts you rebutted and thought the person you were responding to was condescending and rude...I thought your responses civil...Not sure why you are being called out as the snarky one, but I guess some people are quick to overreact...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, justicebeliever said:

For what it's worth, I read the prior posts you rebutted and thought the person you were responding to was condescending and rude...I thought your responses civil...Not sure why you are being called out as the snarky one, but I guess some people are quick to overreact...

Well I appreciate that. It was certainly not my intent to get on here to start throwing stones (or having stones thrown at me for that matter). Hell, I've been on plenty of discussion forums to know all about what the proper etiquette is for being accepting of those who do not agree with my viewpoints. This whole thing got started off as a suggestion, never once saying my way is the best way and your way sucks, or looking for points. So to anyone who acts like an ass, you're going to get called out. 

• Like 1

I only noticed the other posts because you quoted them.  I've had both of those users on ignore because their posts tend to lean towards the very negative.

11 hours ago, MageAgainstTheRegime said:

Although I could be wrong, but I believe the reason that there is no recipe storage is that the Invention system came after the base system was "finished". (ie: no more dev time given to it)   The salvage bins were originally created for base salvage then updated to accept invention salvage.  The enhancement tables were for TO/DO/SO/Hami-Os to be traded between SG mates.

1) More than likely not possible without a new base system.   The current system is tied to the SG and its members.

2) There is a performance reason for this.  Anywhere the /ah is accessible leads to the entire AH database being loaded into that map.  So that means every open/public zone that you can use /ah has the database loaded into memory for that map/zone.  If it got allowed into bases it would mean ALL base maps would also load the ah database adding more strain on the mission/map servers.

3) Email system still has usage outside of sending inf/recipes to your alts though.  It can allow you to leave a message with someone when they are offline.  Super packs also use the account item system which is built into the email system.(Incarnate system might also use it as well, if ParagonWiki is still correct)  So removing the email system is impractical without building a replacement to handle the account item system.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Auranyte said:

Although I could be wrong, but I believe the reason that there is no recipe storage is that the Invention system came after the base system was "finished". (ie: no more dev time given to it)   The salvage bins were originally created for base salvage then updated to accept invention salvage.  The enhancement tables were for TO/DO/SO/Hami-Os to be traded between SG mates.

1) More than likely not possible without a new base system.   The current system is tied to the SG and its members.

2) There is a performance reason for this.  Anywhere the /ah is accessible leads to the entire AH database being loaded into that map.  So that means every open/public zone that you can use /ah has the database loaded into memory for that map/zone.  If it got allowed into bases it would mean ALL base maps would also load the ah database adding more strain on the mission/map servers.

3) Email system still has usage outside of sending inf/recipes to your alts though.  It can allow you to leave a message with someone when they are offline.  Super packs also use the account item system which is built into the email system.(Incarnate system might also use it as well, if ParagonWiki is still correct)  So removing the email system is impractical without building a replacement to handle the account item system.

Really good info, thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later
On 7/31/2019 at 9:15 AM, Bentley Berkeley said:

Screw that stored items eat up the 20k item cap used for making bases. we dont need more stinking storage eating up precious space used for creation. if its really that big a deal for you create an alt account and a storage mule to dual box transfer. Or just craft the recipes.

But its not really needed, has no one explained to you that really now days just sale everything on the ah  and buy attuned set Es to you? Only lvl 50 purple recipes are worth crafting and storing. with the expanded enhancement storage on each character and the practice of just mailing a few hand me down attuned set bits as needed to later alts of capped characters that have unslotted their old lvling sets for lvl 50 purple sets you shouldnt need to do more then a few email transfers at a time.

Because seriously crafting set bits is basically a newb trap now. Sell recipes, buy already made attuned. and leave the recipes and crafting for those who just like crafting. Me I dont have time to craft Im busy playing, running multiple SGs and mentoring dozens of players. Who has time for crafting blah!

"Screw that stored items eat up the 20k item cap used for making bases."

Well, prioritizing "pretty base" over "functional base" is a choice, I suppose.

"we dont need more stinking storage"

You need to watch that "we" stuff unless you've got a mouse in your pocket.

"if its really that big a deal for you create an alt account and a storage mule to dual box transfer. Or just craft the recipes."

So now you've added a middle man to the process that needs streamlining. Brilliant.

"no one explained to you that really now days just sale everything on the ah  and buy attuned set Es to you?"

The assumption that your way is the only way to do things, and very condescending.

"Only lvl 50 purple recipes are worth crafting and storing"

Opinion.

"you shouldnt need to do more then a few email transfers at a time"

You shouldn't need to email anything. You don't have to email salvage, you don't have to email enhancements, you don't have to email inspirations - you shouldn't have to email recipes.

"Sell recipes, buy already made attuned."

So you should sell the recipe when you have all of the mats and the catalyst in the base, then pay somebody's markup after they've done something that you just want to do on another toon? Dumb.

"leave the recipes and crafting for those who just like crafting."

How do you know he's not the one that likes crafting, or wants the badge(s)? You don't, because you didn't ask.

"Me I dont have time to craft Im busy playing, running multiple SGs and mentoring dozens of players. Who has time for crafting blah!"

Nobody cares what you have time for, and a lot of us have time for crafting. 

Your entire post is based on the idea that people should do things the way you do it, and the way you do it is wrong.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I've been begging for base recipe storage since before sunset. It was one of my pet peeves and nearly the only complaint I had about the whole game. I'm also good with having AH/BM access through a base portal of some kind, like the Merit Vendor machine. Being able to buy, sell, and get components off the market in base or post directly from the bins when I have too much of something would be nearly priceless at this point.

I hope it happens at some point, and I'd be willing to contribute somehow if it were possible!

b32c0bee-2e0e-4f57-84d5-6ff8a818681d.png

• Like 1

AH access won't happen - because of the way the AH server loads, it would have to load in EVERY SINGLE BASE on all servers every single time anyone tried to access it from a base.  Yes, even bases with nobody in them.  They'd have to entirely rewrite the AH code, possibly also the zone and base code, to make that not happen, and that's a timescale measured in man-YEARS, not man-hours.

• 3 weeks later

Email defiantly has uses yet, when considering if you are trying to move things across alts on different servers or to hero and villain side.  I think they should make it so you can mail multiples of items in a single email to cut down on the number needing to be sent.

I am also for recipes storage too at the bases.

Edited by Mandrick

19 hours ago, Mandrick said:

Email defiantly has uses yet, when considering if you are trying to move things across alts on different servers or to hero and villain side.  I think they should make it so you can mail multiples of items in a single email to cut down on the number needing to be sent.

I am also for recipes storage too at the bases.

Agreed!! It’s a pain to email each individually between servers. 

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2019 at 9:15 AM, Bentley Berkeley said:

I'm not understanding why this is a concern. If somebody didn't want more storage eating into their item cap, couldn't they simply not add those new storage items to their base?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumbs Up 1