Fighting and Leadership compared?

ParaBruce

Disclaimer: I have a learning disability when it comes to a lot of math. When I mention this, I often run into jokes about being too brain-damaged to do this or that, and, well, I actually am - I've got the X-rays, CAT scans, and such that show just where various lesions formed thanks to a rare autoimmune disorder. I really do put the time and effort into as much of my own math work as I can, but sometimes, as with the topic of this post, I run into mental walls. Sorry to sometimes be a burden, but really, you don't wish I were more capable at it nearly as much as I do. I miss the days when I would figure all this out for myself in a flash, but RL needs are eating up more than usual of what limited capability I have for it. Pfeah. Thank goodness for the chance to escape into the world of superpowers, right?

How do Boxing (or Kick) + Tough + Weave compare to Maneuvers + Tactics, when it comes to a character's defenses and resistances? How does typical slotting, whatever that may be, affect the comparison? How about atypical but clever slotting?

It's probably pointlessly silly of me, but the big draw for Sentinel for me is being ranged, and having to take melee stuff for a good build feels like a let-down sometimes. On the other hand, being woefully unprepared and dying a lot is also a let-down, to put it mildly. I like not sucking in play. 🙂

The easiest thing to do then, would be to just follow a build since someone else already has done the math. You could grab Hero Designer to check for yourself the numbers with slotting and all.

Weave gives almost twice as much defense as Maneuvers. Tough is very useful for most builds, while Tactics gives no defensive benefit at all. Leadership toggles are also more expensive endurance-wise than Fighting toggles.

The main reason to take Leadership is for the team benefit, or because you already have Weave and want yet more defense. Having to waste a power on Boxing is annoying, but it's a waste even for melee characters; very very few builds use it as an actual attack.

• Like 2