Does anyone remember how to move in a straight line or turn around?

dhidow

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I am getting nauseous (no joke) and had stop playing.  I don't remember feeling this way before.  I am using the W, S, D, A to move around but when I need to move 11 or 2 o'clock I can't move fluidly.  I try using the mouse but it feels clunky.  Turning around is so difficult that it's basically impossible.  Does anyone have any tips?  Thank you. 

I believe it's caused by lag in high population areas or maps.  I have the same problem, the jerky movement literally causes motion sickness.  As soon as I enter a mish map, away from the population, it's smooth.  However, if the mish map happens to be an instance of one of the high pop zones (AP, Steel), I'm back to hurky jerky movement.

It's definitely discouraging for getting any quality play time in.

Sounds like a typical case of motion sickness, so I'd suggest:

- Disable camera shake (although this is something that only happens in combat and is not related to the specific issue reported it might cause problems in other situations)

- There is a field of view option in the game that is automatic by default but you might want to manually set it to a more pleasant angle

- Change depth of field effect (disable or enable it to see how it affects you when you're turning)

- Reduce turning sensitivity

- Enable free camera movement (this will make your character instantly move in the direction the camera is facing instead of facing the camera to where he moves, meaning the camera won't rotate every time you start moving)

- Set "Look Up and Down" to "Free Look" (this will prevent the vertical angle of the camera from resetting when you're moving so it doesn't go up and down all the time when you rotate the camera during movement)

PS: I might edit this post later to specify exactly where each of these options are; right now I'm off to work.

• Like 1

I fly race drones with goggles on and I’m always surprised when other people get woozy from it. Sometimes I wish there was a VR option for COH but having to turn my neck to look around might get tiresome. It doesn’t happen in real life lol but gaming is a little different.

You could probably fake it to a degree with something like a TrackIR setup mapping your head movement to turning, but it won't work as well, because the display won't rotate with your head, so you would be looking to the side to see the monitor. And it won't let you turn all the way around. The system works much better for flight sims, where you're turning your head in the cockpit, but it still has the 'monitor is forward' limitation.

Supranova, this is not motion sickness due to graphics.  I used to have my graphics at full Ultra all the way, and the combat camera shake does not bother me.

Just to be sure, I did reduce most of my graphic options.  However, it made no difference.

This is jerky movement caused by lag. 

For instance, when in flight, which should be smooth, it stutters jerkily.

When jumping, any movement correction is exaggerated, so you end up constantly over-correcting, like a swerving car.

It only occurs in high population areas and maps instances.

When on a mission map, away from high population, movement is smooth and not problematic at all.

I always switch A and D to "turn left" "turn right" (instead of strafe) to turn while moving, or look left or right.  I only use the mouse movement to turn the camera in a situation where I need a different camera angle to see something (What's down there?  What's up there?).  I've never needed to strafe in this game in all my years playing it so I don't miss that at all.

• Like 1

Get a FreeSync monitor if you have an AMD card, GSync if you have GForce.  It's amazing how much smoother everything is.

Actually Nvidia also supports FreeSync now but only if connected with a DVI cable (HDMI not supported)

Supranova, this is not motion sickness due to graphics.  I used to have my graphics at full Ultra all the way, and the combat camera shake does not bother me.

Just to be sure, I did reduce most of my graphic options.  However, it made no difference.

This is jerky movement caused by lag. 

For instance, when in flight, which should be smooth, it stutters jerkily.

When jumping, any movement correction is exaggerated, so you end up constantly over-correcting, like a swerving car.

It only occurs in high population areas and maps instances.

When on a mission map, away from high population, movement is smooth and not problematic at all.

Actually my reply was to the OP I didn't read that you had a somewhat similar issue. Their issue really sounds like motion sickness. In your case maybe it would help if you posted your PC specs as well as internet connection type and "speeds". You can also bring up the netgraph option in-game (you need to set a keybind for that in keybinds first) which could show a little more information about how the game is using your network.

I remember back 20 plus years ago when I first played "Doom".

Thought I was catching the Flu since I was not feeling all that well.  Stopped playing and got better.

I realized that it was the game that was doing it and which I do not play in first person.

I have even had this happen when watching videos of others playing in first person.

Actually my reply was to the OP I didn't read that you had a somewhat similar issue. Their issue really sounds like motion sickness. In your case maybe it would help if you posted your PC specs as well as internet connection type and "speeds". You can also bring up the netgraph option in-game (you need to set a keybind for that in keybinds first) which could show a little more information about how the game is using your network.

I know you are trying to be helpful, but it's coming off rather condescending to me.  I have already stated that I have adjusted my graphic settings to no avail.  This should have indicated to you that I have some kind of clue.  I know how to use the netgraph, and the rig I'm playing on now is the same as what I played on live. 

I feel like your singular focus on your "diagnosis" has blinded you to the whole picture.  For instance, you seem to have missed the part where I say it plays normally on mission maps, except in the case of a highly populated (and therefore multi-instanced) zone map. This lag related motion issue is very obviously connected to the population load on certain maps.

The movement issue described in the OP is exactly the same as what I'm experiencing.  I've just gone into more detail.

You are right about one thing, this does cause motion sickness.  And let me be very clear, I RARELY get motion sick.  It's not really a thing for me.  But this does do it.

I found it to be easier to set up my key binds to use my arrow keys that way the left and right arrows makes for easy turning

That is exactly how I have my movement bound.  I like the easy access to the numberpad from there. 

Again, the method of movement does not change the lag of high population areas that creates the jerky movement effect.  Like I said, it happens even while flying in a straight line (which should be smooth no matter what key you are using).

I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I am getting nauseous (no joke) and had stop playing.  I don't remember feeling this way before.  I am using the W, S, D, A to move around but when I need to move 11 or 2 o'clock I can't move fluidly.  I try using the mouse but it feels clunky.  Turning around is so difficult that it's basically impossible.  Does anyone have any tips?  Thank you.

I'm using the same direction keys and have had to stop twice because of nausea. Feels a heck of a lot like motion sickness to me. Ugh.

I'm using the same direction keys and have had to stop twice because of nausea. Feels a heck of a lot like motion sickness to me. Ugh.

You may want to click on the link in my post (above)...

I have resolved this issue

If you are having similar problems (including a hard crash with dialogue boxes), click the link for the solution I ended up with. 

• 4 months later