Anyone else having placed base items just randomly shift around?

WumpusRat

It's really tiresome, and seems to happen pretty often. I'll spend hours working on a base, placing everything just so, then exit the base editor and go outside for a bit, and when I come back, stuff I've placed has shifted position. Carefully placed ramps will have gone up or down, making it a broken mess, walls will move around, etc. 

I haven't noticed it happening in "indoor" bases, mostly just on ones where you're outside the base area. But it's frustrating as hell.

Edited by WumpusRat

I haven't personally noticed this happening in mine, maybe its certain objects that are more prone to doing it? Try taking before and after screenies if you notice it happen. If it is indeed random, I wonder what would be causing it- I'm pretty OCD about base building and like most people who love it to if one thing just randomly moves we tend to notice, I'd be very curious to see whats going on, and if its a real issue that needs to be addressed. When building my current one I would sometimes be inside a structure placing pieces inside a wall and if a certain piece accidentally didn't get placed as I wanted I'd ctrl+z to undo it, but then sometimes end up finding said missing wall piece outside somewhere it doesn't belong.

Edited by KingofMonkeys

On 8/29/2019 at 4:21 AM, KingofMonkeys said:

I haven't personally noticed this happening in mine, maybe its certain objects that are more prone to doing it? Try taking before and after screenies if you notice it happen. If it is indeed random, I wonder what would be causing it- I'm pretty OCD about base building and like most people who love it to if one thing just randomly moves we tend to notice, I'd be very curious to see whats going on, and if its a real issue that needs to be addressed. When building my current one I would sometimes be inside a structure placing pieces inside a wall and if a certain piece accidentally didn't get placed as I wanted I'd ctrl+z to undo it, but then sometimes end up finding said missing wall piece outside somewhere it doesn't belong.

What I notice most moving around are ramps. I have several large rooms where I've used the tech balcony platforms to make ramps that lead down into a room, and since the room is large enough, I'll have two of them overlapping and repositioned so they're flush, making one big seamless ramp. However if I log out and come back into the base, quite often one of the ramps will have shifted 5-6 inches up or down. Other items I've noticed moving around are some power conduits that I've sunk into the floor so just the top part is showing, and they'll pop back up several inches. 

It's infuriating, because after spending literally dozens of hours building a place and getting everything placed 'just so', the game decides to just randomly kick items around like a petulant child. 

• Community Rep

This is due to spaghetti coding. The base is using text fields for numeric values. So, it must round. (Reset time to see rounding error is about 6 mins out of base). So, you do see some things shift...it seems like vertical shifts are more pronounced than horizontal, to me. There is no fix for it that the devs can do, other than recode the entire base editor, which is a distant, distant project. Here's all you can do: play with slight angles. Leave them however they've shifted (tho, small repositionings sometimes give you different rounding errors, which can result in a near match), and angle one slightly higher and one slightly lower, so  they are even. With the new base items, you could also get something as big as the entire ramp you want, and place that as a surface, so the surface is even (power  substation foundations in cityscape comes to mind).

It's pretty much a "play around until it works" type of thing. Sorry. For all of us, lol. 🙂

-Dacy

Yeah, unfortunately using a really large object for the ramp isn't an option, as there's a room on the other side of the wall that it would end up bisecting and rendering useless. I can live with it shifting around a bit if I have to, it's just annoying to the part of me that wants everything to be perfect. What baffles me is it's just SOME items. Not all of a certain type, not all in a certain area, or even a certain angle. Just a random selection of items that the game just wants to move around to annoy me.

• Community Rep

Well, at least, usually they don't move a lot, nor often. I think once it's gone through a couple of resets, it shouldn't move again.

Also, you don't have to use a really -big- object, find one that's a comparable width. If it's too long, sink the end into the floor (unless it's got something underneath).

-Dacy

Yeah, unfortunately "sinking it into the floor" isn't an option either.

This ramp right here is one of the ones in particular that keeps moving constantly. No matter what I do, it refuses to stay where I put it. I've moved it around at least twenty times, deleted and recreated it, tried different objects, etc. The game simply REFUSES to save the proper location of the connecting spots. And the right edge of the upper ramp keeps raising up and clipping with the larger ramp area, making it flicker constantly, which is irritating. 

XfPQQTb.jpg

4 hours ago, ShardWarrior said:

Do you have the grid set to 1x1 or disabled?

Like I said in the other thread, it happens to stuff that I've moved on the grid, or disabled, at random.

If I'm forced to have to build everything on a 1x1 grid, I may as well not build bases that aren't just giant square blocks, since I won't be able to do any fine tuning.