Question about IMPACT!

Chuckers

I have a grav/dark controller and I am seeing "IMPACT!" flash above enemies heads when I damage them. I do not remember seeing this before and I have questions.

It seems to only happen when the enemies is both held AND immobilized, is that a correct assumption?

Is IMPACT! specific to Grav controllers? I don't remember seeing it on my ILL/Kin, but I haven't actually looked for it. 

Is this something new to Homecoming or was it in Live also? 

Thanks in advance 🙂

Impact is a feature of Gravity Control added late in the game's life cycle. It was added because Gravity was intended to trade control ability for blast-like powers, but its damage was too poor to justify the tradeoff.

I don't have the game in front of me right now, but I believe Impact is triggered by enemies being affected by the single target hold.

• Like 1

From the I22 patch notes:

Impact! introduced: Enemies attacked with Lift or Propel will have bonus damage applied if the enemy has been recently held by Gravity Distortion (regardless of who cast Gravity Distortion).

• Like 2

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

18 hours ago, Uun said:

Impact! introduced: Enemies attacked with Lift or Propel will have bonus damage applied if the enemy has been recently held by Gravity Distortion (regardless of who cast Gravity Distortion).

Do you know if this is supposed to be for BOTH Distortion powers? It works on the single target Gravity Distortion. But last night I got Gravity Distortion Field (aoe hold) and when I propel-ed a statue at one of the held targets, I didn't get an Impact! bonus. I want to report this as a bug if it truly is one.

1 hour ago, Chuckers said:

Do you know if this is supposed to be for BOTH Distortion powers? It works on the single target Gravity Distortion. But last night I got Gravity Distortion Field (aoe hold) and when I propel-ed a statue at one of the held targets, I didn't get an Impact! bonus. I want to report this as a bug if it truly is one.

I would think so, but it's possible they missed GDF when they made the change. I use GDF so rarely, I've never paid attention.

Does it work if Singularity applies GD and you Lift or Propel? (I assume Singularity gets no Impact bonus from its Lift.)

Uunderdog - Rad/Rad Scrapper | Uundertaker - Rad/Dark Corruptor | Uun - MA/Inv Scrapper | Uunison - Grav/Storm Controller | Uuncola - Ice/Temp Blaster | Uundergrowth - Plant/Martial Dominator | Uunstable - SR/Staff Tank

Uunreal - Fire/Time Corruptor | Uunrest - Dark/TA Blaster | Uunseen - Ill/Poison Controller | Uuncool - Cold/Beam Defender | Uunderground - Earth/Earth Dominator | Uunknown - Mind/Psi Dominator | Uunplugged - Stone/Elec Brute

Uunfair - Archery/TA Corruptor | Uunsung - DP/Ninja Blaster | Uunflammable - Fire/Nature Controller | Uunflappable - WM/WP Brute | Uundead - Dark/Dark Tank | Uunfit - Water/Martial Blaster  | Uunwrapped - Dark/Dark Dominator

Uunchill - Ice/Kinetics Corruptor | Uunpleasant - En/En Stalker | Uunbrella - Rad/Rad Sentinel | Uunsafari - Beasts/Traps MM | Uungnome - Nature/Seismic Defender | Uunsavory - Poson/Sonic Defender | Uunicycle - BS/Shield Scrapper

Uuntouchable - Ill/Time Controller | Uunferno - Fire/Fire Tank | Uunthinkable - Psi/SR Scrapper | Uuncivil - Thugs/Elec MM | Uunnatural - Ice/Savage Dominator | Uunshockable - Elec/Bio Sentinel | Uunfathomable - Elec/Dark Controller

7 minutes ago, Uun said:

I would think so, but it's possible they missed GDF when they made the change. I use GDF so rarely, I've never paid attention.

Does it work if Singularity applies GD and you Lift or Propel? (I assume Singularity gets no Impact bonus from its Lift.)

When I get my sing, I'll find out.. it says no matter who casts it... Although the sing isn't actually a who.. more of a what...

18 hours ago, Chuckers said:

When I get my sing, I'll find out.. it says no matter who casts it... Although the sing isn't actually a who.. more of a what...

GDF hasn't ever counted for impact and sing using its hold does count.  Also singularity does get the impact bonus.

edit see the second edit in my post below.

Edited by Obsidian_Farmer

46 minutes ago, Obsidian_Farmer said:

GDF hasn't ever counted for impact and sing using its hold does count.  Also singularity does get the impact bonus.

Thanks.. I find it interesting the GDF doesn't work when it is the same hold applied multiple times. Maybe it should? 

16 hours ago, Chuckers said:

Thanks.. I find it interesting the GDF doesn't work when it is the same hold applied multiple times. Maybe it should? 

I always thought it should since thematically it's supposed to be the same hold just "pushed" to a higher level, like up-casting a spell in D&D 5e.

The situation I'm curious about and haven't had the chance to test yet is whether or not Gravitational Anchor's proc counts since it's just the Grav Distortion hold.  I'm going to check that out in a bit when I get the chance.

edit: Gravitational Anchro's proc does not count.

edit 2: During testing this morning from what i've just seen it appears I was wrong about singularity.   While just letting Singularity do its thing and not interacting at all I'm not seeing any IMPACT text popping up and I'm not seeing bonus numbers.  Holding a target with Grav. Distortion and letting singy do its thing also doesn't produce any new numbers or the IMPACT text.  That said I have definitely seen situations where IMPACT pops up three times back to back to back on a target when I'm casting Lift and Propel and singy casts its own lift.  Maybe there's a bug or something like all the craziness that's going on with Illusion right now and stuff just isn't working as intended or maybe my previous observations were just wrong. I don't know at the moment.

Edited by Obsidian_Farmer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Obsidian_Farmer said:

I always thought it should since thematically it's supposed to be the same hold just "pushed" to a higher level, like up-casting a spell in D&D 5e.

The situation I'm curious about and haven't had the chance to test yet is whether or not Gravitational Anchor's proc counts since it's just the Grav Distortion hold.  I'm going to check that out in a bit when I get the chance.

edit: Gravitational Anchro's proc does not count.

edit 2: During testing this morning from what i've just seen it appears I was wrong about singularity.   While just letting Singularity do its thing and not interacting at all I'm not seeing any IMPACT text popping up and I'm not seeing bonus numbers.  Holding a target with Grav. Distortion and letting singy do its thing also doesn't produce any new numbers or the IMPACT text.  That said I have definitely seen situations where IMPACT pops up three times back to back to back on a target when I'm casting Lift and Propel and singy casts its own lift.  Maybe there's a bug or something like all the craziness that's going on with Illusion right now and stuff just isn't working as intended or maybe my previous observations were just wrong. I don't know at the moment.

Thank you for testing 🙂

On 9/5/2019 at 4:10 PM, Uun said:

This is an interesting note because I never receive Impact damage when my Singularity is the one that casted the Hold.

17 hours ago, Nayeh said:

This is an interesting note because I never receive Impact damage when my Singularity is the one that casted the Hold.

It's not working. I submitted this as a bug.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later

From the 10/1 patch notes on Beta:

Gravity Control > Singularity should now apply and take advantage of the Impact mechanic.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later

I'd like to thank you guys for catching this bug.

I'm not surprised it happened - Singy uses a different version of the controller powers. They do double the damage of a controller version, but don't benefit from containment. 

See me on Excelsior as Eridanus - Whisperkill - Kid Physics - Ranger Wilde - The Hometown Scrapper - Firewatch - and more!