Rescued from the Archives ... Force Feedback proc

Redlynne

SOURCE

Actually, this seems to be a case of some errant testing creating a myth. When the proc first came out, I tested it and confirmed it performed as it does now. I mentioned it on the forums, and promptly forgot about it.

It was only much later that I happened to read a forum post about the "cooldown" and then I read the paragonwiki article that described the cooldown. I checked the power implementation, and the power wasn't implemented to do that. So I retested the power, and it was still performing without a cooldown. So I went to Castle and asked him to confirm my testing and my interpretation of the power design, and he confirmed it did not have a cooldown nor to the best of his knowledge did it ever have a cooldown. That's when I started telling people the paragonwiki article was wrong.

Its a tricky proc to test, so I can only assume that some early tests suggested there was a cooldown, and everyone simply interpreted their future tests on the assumption that there was a cooldown. But I can say I've never seen such a cooldown in my testing, starting with when the proc was first released, and it definitely does not have a cooldown or is intended by design to have a cooldown. It is only intended to not stack, and not extend (meaning you cannot refresh it while its up). There will always be some downtime, but if you're lucky that downtime can be arbitrarily low.

If it ever actually had such a suppression, Castle was unaware of it and I have no direct evidence of it. I have to believe this one was a testing glitch that wasn't discovered until much later.

Found this while trawling through the original forums for old build posts of mine ...

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

That is a pretty cool proc. If I threw this on a bubblers Force Bubble would it have a chance constantly or just when I turned it on?

I'd assume standard toggle rules would apply.

A chance when you first activate the power and then every 10 seconds thereafter that the toggle is running.

as a Bubbler I'd stick it in Repulsion Bomb. With a base recharge of 30 seconds it's going to proc very often when using that.

That being said, this IO has always seems of dubious use to me. If a power isn't "recharged" within its 5 second window it seems to reset back to where it was before the proc, minus 5 seconds. Making the whole thing mostly futile unless you're using it for shorter recharge powers like attacks, or luck out on your long-recharge powers timing wise.

So I'd imagine its great in Super Strength etc, not so great for recharging multi-minute powers though.

That is a pretty cool proc. If I threw this on a bubblers Force Bubble would it have a chance constantly or just when I turned it on?

A chance when you first activate the power and then every 10 seconds thereafter that the toggle is running.

as a Bubbler I'd stick it in Repulsion Bomb. With a base recharge of 30 seconds it's going to proc very often when using that.

That being said, this IO has always seems of dubious use to me. If a power isn't "recharged" within its 5 second window it seems to reset back to where it was before the proc, minus 5 seconds. Making the whole thing mostly futile unless you're using it for shorter recharge powers like attacks, or luck out on your long-recharge powers timing wise.

So I'd imagine its great in Super Strength etc, not so great for recharging multi-minute powers though.

I've certainly not noticed this when I've used it - AFAIK recharge works so that if you have the proc for 5 seconds, you just get extra recharge "ticks" for those seconds. I've been using it to get to permadom quicker. I could be wrong, but otherwise what you are saying seems to suggest it would take longer for long recharge powers to recharge which doesn't make sense. I've used it a lot on long recharge powers and it seems to work well.

the price use to be great when it could be used in aoes & stack with itself but now it just seems useless

I've certainly not noticed this when I've used it - AFAIK recharge works so that if you have the proc for 5 seconds, you just get extra recharge "ticks" for those seconds. I've been using it to get to permadom quicker. I could be wrong, but otherwise what you are saying seems to suggest it would take longer for long recharge powers to recharge which doesn't make sense. I've used it a lot on long recharge powers and it seems to work well.

This is correct in my experience as well. I have three of them currently on my dom and it's a noticeable different in the window to perma-dom than it is without them, sometimes more than a 10-15 second window. So the +100% recharge for five seconds does not "reset" back to where it was pre-proc, not that I have noticed.