Two questions for tanks

arkieboy72472

9 hours ago, Shoulung said:

My statement was in reply to someone saying ‘remove all the penalties with expensive IO sets, the same as every other tanker sets.’ For me, the fun is learning how to play effectively within each set, not trying to make it function like all the other sets I play.

I hereby redirect my "Tanker Glare™" elsewhere. 😉

"As Nintova suggests, you can treat a tanker like a melee controller."

- Heraclea

14 hours ago, Bill Z Bubba said:

Keep you alive so that you can keep taunting and killing?

Call me old fashioned, but I expect a little more from a Tanker than being a third-rate scrapper with a slightly better taunt. If I am going to take the massive damage hit from playing a tanker instead of a brute, who can do it almost as well (unfortunately) having decent incoming damage management for more than just myself is my price.

Being the sole survivor isn't much of a victory.

Edited by Frostweaver

8 minutes ago, Haijinx said:

Same thing other tankers do.  What does a WP tanker do?

Unless you are talking those sets that offer some control  

Yes, and that there is a reason WP sucks, as well.

SR and wp are great for soloing. Not sure why you are playing a tank in that case. Brutes do it better.
The exception is TW for WP. TW has a huge number of team protections as well as disgusting Damage... WP has the end management and lack of clickies needed to keep it rolling well.
SR doesn't have a synergy of that sort.
Sure, it can survive most stuff. So can every other tanker primary. Heck, my fire/ tanker, even with a primary that is widely known as the most the most squishy in general content, can tank the crap out of the hardest incarnate content in the game, just like every other Tanker.

SR is amazing on stalkers, decent on scrappers and sentinels, kinda meh on brutes, and brings nothing whatsoever to the table for tankers. It should have been thought through far more thoroughly before being ported. The scaling resistance is a pittance in the face of +4 incarnate content. It has no tools for dealing with overpull.

Sure, you can grab a primary that will shore up that weakness, but it is in exactly the same position Energy Aura was ten years ago... you can shore up the weaknesses with a primary, but that primary would simply be better with something that never had those weaknesses. Any secondary you pick would simply perform better in a team environment, where tanks live, with almost any other primary.

It's not that SR is the bottom of the list (It is) since SOMETHING has to be at the bottom, it's that, in it's current form, it simply doesn't belong on the list at all.

11 hours ago, Haijinx said:

Have you played WP or SR tankers? 

I am Retired. My favorite Toons are Tankers and Stalkers. I have played EVERYTHING, much of it to level 50. Even a 50 wp/tw, several other wp toons, a 43 sr/spines, 36 sr/rad, 36 sr/dark and 35 sr/stj. I tend to invest in sets and set bonuses rather early, including a full set of LOTG -rech as early as feasible (usually around level 27).

Yes, spines shores up SR's rather glaring weaknesses, with a decent secondary taunt aura and poison slows, plus taking full advantage of SR's recharge and proc madness.
I have 3 other spines (1 brute, 2 tankers) and I can state unequivocally that virtually EVERY other primary performs much better with it. It helps SR's holes, but even with quills it simply underperforms in it's job as a TANKER. It is not unplayable, and is great at lightweight mission farming, but soloing lightweight mission farms is not even remotely what tankers are FOR.... a brute or even scrapper would likely outperform it in those roles.

11 hours ago, Haijinx said:

So its weakness is that its weak? 

Yeah, you want to turn this into an argument about semantics. Congratulations, you win da intarwebz. Enjoy all the valuable prizes.

Edited by Frostweaver

14 minutes ago, Frostweaver said:

I am Retired. My favorite Toons are Tankers and Stalkers. I have played EVERYTHING, much of it to level 50. Even a 50 wp/tw and a 43 sr/spines. I tend to invest in sets and set bonuses rather early, including a full set of LOTG -rech as early as feasible (usually around level 27).

Yes, spines shores up SR's rather glaring weaknesses, with a decent secondary taunt aura and poison slows, plus taking full advantage of SR's recharge and proc madness.
I have 3 other rads (1 brute, 2 tankers) and I can state unequivocally that virtually EVERY other primary performs much better with it. It helps SR's holes, but even with quills it simply underperforms in it's job as a TANKER. It is not unplayable, and is great at lightweight mission farming, but soloing lightweight mission farms is not even remotely what tankers are FOR.... a brute or even scrapper would likely outperform it in those roles.

Yeah, you want to turn this into an argument about semantics. Congratulations, you win da intarwebz. Enjoy all the valuable prizes.

Not sure semantics is what is going on here, I suspected you meant the Taunt Aura, but I couldn't read your mind.  I just went back and looked thinking I missed it?  Maybe here since you say the secondary taunt aura shores up the glaring weakness.  Unless it has other weaknesses? 

You can slot taunt duration into the Taunt aura to help there some.  Sure any other tanker or Brutes aura will beat it out, but they can generally handle it.  

An SR has a big Strength at low level and if you exemplar a lot, since you can softcap at a lower level than any other AT combination.  Being Softcapped during a Synapse TF isn't too shabby. 

Edited by Haijinx