The Great Archetype Concept Battle [Final Round]

Zepp

The Great Archetype Concept Battle [Final Round 4]  

28 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the better Archetype Concept? The Duo v Defiler

• The Duo
    • Defiler

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/06/19 at 02:59 PM

Welcome to The Great Archetype Concept Battle. This is a set of polls wherein proposed Archetypes go head to head to determine community interest. The Polls will be open for approximately one week and the brackets will be updated weekly. The goal is to come up with a single proposed archetype concept that the whole community can rally behind.

Voting should be based, in principle, on Feasibility, Niche, & Interest.

Feasibility: 1 (difficult to balance, requires a large amount of set development, etc.) to 10 (could be in-game tomorrow)

Niche: 1 (is already addressed by another AT) to 10 (there is a hole in the game that this would fill)

Interest: 1 (I wouldn't play it) to 10 (I plan to make at least 20 alts in this AT)

Your Contestants!

Battle: The Duo v Defiler

The Duo (19.06.07.16.09.36)

Assault/{Pet/Armor/Support}

Partnership: +DMG +ToHit in proximity to pet. Share power effects with pet.

The Duo is an AT that is focused on working strongly with a single pet partner and balancing the burden with them.

Defiler (19.06.09.22.12.59)

Melee/{Support/Armor}

[placeholder]: A defensive bonus which decreases with teammates paired with a secondary effect bonus which increases with teammates.

Defilers are focused on debuffing enemies and buffing allies from the fray.

Archetype Concept Compilation -- Powerset Concept Compilations: Assault Melee

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Great Archetype Concept Battle: Final Round

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Archetype Proposal Amalgamation

Battle 1: Captain v The Duo

The Duo (19.06.07.16.09.36)

Feasibility: 6 - The playtesting that has already been done by the proposer has doubled the score here.

Niche: 6 - This is definitely in the DPS camp, but with a different approach to other DPSers out there.

Interest: 8 - I would definitely make at least one of these.

Defiler (19.06.09.22.12.59)

Feasibility: 5 - The secondary sets may take a while to fine-tune and I see balance issues as taking some time.

Niche: 6 - This is definitely in the DPS camp, but with a different approach to other DPSers out there.

Interest: 5 - I think this is the best frontline support proposal I've read through.

Winner: The Duo

The poll is open for two weeks! Devs & Mods are also invited to give their feedback, especially in regards to feasibility.

I'd definitely go for the Duo. I mean, the Defiler is nice, but the "efflux" secondary sets didn't seem to be as good as the Composition sets from Guardian on Rebirth. Also, there are already four purely melee ATs, and this one seems to be a Scrapper/Fender hybrid that is not as enjoyable as either. The Duo has a really complex secondary, but @malonkey1has done a lot of work in making it work. I also think the inherent seems like it would be enjoyable. While the Thunderspy server did something similar with Wind Control and their version of Illusion Control for Dominators, The Duo does it in a manner that is balanced and much more thought out. Also, because the pet is tied to the inherent, it makes it much more viable. I would, however, like to see a clever name for the secondary sets, maybe Partner secondaries?

I'd go with Duo for sure. I once posted a suggestion in old forums about a similar concept. Here was my breakdown for it:

The concept was the reverse of Masterminds, whose role is to keep pets alive while they do the attacking.  In this, you had a pet that kept you alive while you did the attacks.  This was done though a mix of assault powers + powers that buffed you and your pet.  You also had a "bond" power that let your pet absorb damage you took, like Masterminds. The pet was controllable like masterminds as well.  And the cool thing was that depending on the pet, the way it helped keep you alive was unique.  A pet dog/wolf would keep you alive by increasing your own defenses and weakening enemies chance to hit you (by intimidation and intercepting, like a real canine), the hawk pet would keep you alive via crowd control through distractions/mezzes/confuses, through its areal attacks. The wisp pet kept you alive via heals and buffs, through a spiritual bond.  The Lion pet kept you alive via intimidation/stunning, and healing.  The monkeys pets kept you alive by a mixed bag of tricks, distractions, and confuses. 

The bear pet kept you alive via  a massive mound of shared HP.  All of the pets had a couple attacks, but were mostly for keeping you alive while you dealt out the damage.  

16 minutes ago, Shazbotacus said:

If I could have a Duo with some kinda rifle and a soldier of some kind for a pet, I'd be all over that for sure.

Follow the link... The Duo (19.06.07.16.09.36) and look at Super Serum...

Unfortunately, there isn't a rifle-based assault currently, but that could be added with the expansion (and possibly infernal assault too...) The assault link in my signature has at least four ideas that would have rifles in them. Follow the links and share your opinion on which you think is the best.

On 9/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Shazbotacus said:

Yeah, I would be all over rifle-based assault. There’s only two melee attack animations that’d go with it, though, and one of which would need more weapons with bayonet models. That, or beam rifle with an energy bayonet.

Strictly speaking, you could have a "melee" power that doesn't use a "melee" animation. For example, restricting a Flamethrower attack to short range.

21 hours ago, malonkey1 said:

Strictly speaking, you could have a "melee" power that doesn't use a "melee" animation. For example, restricting a Flamethrower attack to short range.

Point blank rifle shot?

Still, most of the proposed sets used the rifle melee attacks from Arachnos Soldiers...

I had made a post in the Duo thread. Maybe it'll fit here too, especially the part about doing a melee attack with a ranged attack animation. Second paragraph.

On 9/24/2019 at 8:34 AM, Shazbotacus said:

I'm really hoping for some kind of rifle assault, possibly in the future. Regular assault rifle with regular bayonet, or a beam rifle with a Vanguard-esque energy one, and blasting the bad guys down with another soldier type at my side would have me make a character for this AT so fast. Given that there's so few gun models with a physical bayonet as part of the model, maybe an energy bayonet would be ideal for both, perhaps as a power customization if possible.

There's few melee attacks to work with like this though, just bayonet and rifle butt. If you go the Beam Rifle route you could probably rationalize a third melee attack as a short range lightsaber-esque "plasma cutter," emitting a very short but very deadly magnetically-contained super-heated plasma jet held into the target with the "Heavy Burst" animation. Probably goes through multiple targets in a line like Headsplitter. Typing that down, I must say I've become somewhat attached to that idea.

Admittedly, though, my biggest reasoning for hoping for a "beam rifle assault" is because those animations involve actually putting the weapon to the shoulder and aiming at least semi properly.

One week left for voting. Make your voice heard!

Final Day for voting, just under 15 hours left!