Archetype Suggestion: The Duo

This is adapted from a suggestion by Bradley_IFV on the original CoH Forum.

Basically, it's a more offensive Archetype intended to have aspects of a Scrapper, Mastermind and Defender. The primary is Assault, with some modifications for the main gimmick of the class, the Partner, a single, powerful, melee-oriented pet that benefits more from your support powers and shares your clicky buffs. The Defense/Support powers are mostly PBAoE so it encourages the player to wade in alongside their pet, but the AT could reasonably be played with a focus around supporting their pet from a distance.

CtxVjHs.png Duo CtxVjHs.png

The Duo is a somebody who knows that going it alone is foolish in a world of aliens, sorcerers and super-science. Your offensive power may be lesser than that of other melee combatants, but with your Partner in tow, you make an army of two, combining your own melee attacks with the offensive and support capabilities of your partner.

Primary: Assault (with a Partner pet)

Secondary: Defense/Support (with a Partner Pet)

Inherent: Partnership

Base HP: ~1020

Max HP: ~1610

Okay, so there's been a lot of changes to this archetype as I've been prototyping and testing it. I'n not gonna delete the original post, just spoiler it at the end for reference's sake.

Primary Power Sets

A Duo's primary power set is centered around both the character's Partner pet and both ranged and melee combat, having access to Assault powersets resembling those of the Dominator, except for a few small differences. First, they do not have the Build Up style powers found in Dominator Assault sets, as the burst damage from the Duo and their Partner's alpha strike should be about the same as the burst damage from blasting them with a Built Up attack. Also different is that they have two powers that Upgrade their Pet, providing it additional powers from your Assault powerset. These work like the Upgrades of the Mastermind's primary sets, but are divorced from the Pet, allowing you to give your pets powers that match yours instead of ones that match their theme necessarily. The Duo's damage values are equivalent to a Dominator's during current testing.

Powersets:

• Dark Assault
  • Earth Assault
  • Electricity Assault
  • Energy Assault
  • Fiery Assault
  • Icy Assault
  • Martial Assault
  • Psionic Assault
  • Thorny Assault

Secondary Power Sets

The Duo's secondary sets are a combination of personal defense and team support, as well as determining their pet. Most of the personal defensive toggles in Duo's sets are converted into AoE Auras that provide the full effect to you and your pet, and half reduced effects to all other friendlies in their range. Their resistance and defense values are equivalent to a Stalker's during current testing.

Powersets:

• Natural Instinct: Nature Affinity/Regeneration (Dire Wolf)
  • Hellfire Aura: Thermal Radiation/Fiery Aura (Demon Prince)
  • Super Serum: Poison/Invulnerability (Commando)
  • Netherforce: Dark Armor/Dark Miasma (Lich)
  • Ninjitsu: Amusingly enough, this could probably be ported from the Stalker set on its own without too many changes. It's a weird set. (Ninja)
  • Robotics: Force Fields/Traps (Assault Bot)
  • Street Smarts: Willpower/Leadership (Bruiser)

Ancillary Power Sets

Duos have the following Ancillary pool powers.

• Blaze Mastery
  • Darkness Mastery
  • Power Mastery
  • Weapon Mastery

Inherent Power

The Duo's Inherent Power is Partnership. As long as the Duo and their pet are within 60 feet of each other, both receive +10% DMG and +10% ToHit. Additionally, you share the benefits of your defensive powers and any click powers from your primary or secondary sets with your pet within this range.

Sample Primary: Electricity Assault

Electrical Assault grants you several electrical ranged and melee powers. Electrical powers can drain foes' Endurance and can often temporarily halt their Endurance recovery. This can be quite effective against higher level foes and Bosses. Some Electrical Assault powers can even sometimes transfer this Endurance back to you.

spacer.png Charged Bolts 1 Ranged, Moderate DMG(Energy), Foe -End, -Recovery
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//2/28/ElectricalAssault_ChargedBrawl.png Charged Brawl 1 Melee, Moderate DMG(Smash/Energy), Foe Disorient, -End, -Recovery
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//2/23/ElectricalAssault_LightningBolt.png Lightning Bolt 2 Ranged, High DMG(Energy), Foe -End, -Recovery
Summon-Equip.png.8b5e1cc2e4f21f1b7ce79280ce7cfe52.png Charge Partner 6 Ranged, Grant Partner Charged Brawl and Lightning Bolt
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//1/18/ElectricalAssault_HavocPunch.png Havoc Punch 8 Melee, High DMG(Smash/Energy), Foe Sleep, -End, -Recovery
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//2/21/ElectricalAssault_Zapp.png Zapp 12 Sniper, Extreme DMG(Energy), Foe -End, -Recovery
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//f/f7/ElectricalAssault_StaticDischarge.png Static Discharge 18 Ranged (Cone), Moderate DMG(Energy), Foe -End, -Recovery
Summon-Upgrade.png.9f92f5ee4beb9141b7086086b38731c8.png Electrify Partner 26 Ranged, Grant Partner Havoc Punch and Static Discharge
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//5/58/ElectricalAssault_Thunderstrike.png Thunder Strike 32 Melee (Targeted AoE), High DMG(Smash/Energy), Foe Disorient, -Recovery, Knockback

Sample Secondary: Netherforce

Whether through arcane knowledge or dimensional tampering, you have forged a connection with a powerful being of the Netherworld known as a Lich. In exchange for allowing it to bind itself to the material plane through you, it offers you the ability to protect yourself and others with the powers of the Netherworld. Netherforce offers very good resistance to Negative Energy damage, and is one of the only defensive sets that offer some resistance to Psionic damage. However, its resistance to Energy is weak and it offers no protection to Knockback.

Strongpet.png.c9d1432a056bb8c1a040654d6d321177.png Lich 1 Summon Lich
DarkArmor_DarkEmbrace.png.346e477e40b21c62337de4934f0cc4a0.png Dark Embrace 2 Toggle (PBAoE): Ally +Res(Smash, Lethal, Negative, Toxic)
DarkArmor_DefractingCloud.png.8aa57f571389a8b821dded7ee26dda4e.png Murky Cloud 4 Toggle: Self +Res(Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative, End Drain)
DarkArmor_ObsidianShield.png.ca729fb84099f0ff8b2540ef71112d38.png Obsidian Shield 10 Toggle: Self +Res(Psionic, Sleep, Hold, Disorient, Fear)
DarkMiasma_TwilightGrasp.png.fb6ad127927a9e9727dcc8315172a9a1.png Twilight Grasp 16 Ranged, Foe -Regen, -DMG, -To-Hit, Team Heal
DarkArmor_CloakOfDarkness.png.db924157a708ffc4e3d7ca6a823a9f98.png Cloak of Darkness 20 Toggle: Self Stealth, +DEF(All), +Res(Immobilize), +Perception
DarkMiasma_FearsomeAura.png.73f9a5b13c666b7f54bdb24ff86271c8.png Fearsome Stare 28 Ranged (Cone), Foe Fear, -To-Hit
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//c/ca/DarkArmor_OppressiveGloom.png Oppressive Gloom 35 Toggle: PBAoE, Foe Disorient, Self -Max Health
https://paragonwiki.com/w/images//8/83/DarkArmor_SoulTransfer.png Soul Transfer 38 PBAoE, Moderate DMG(Negative), Foe Disorient, Self Rez

Primary Power Sets

A Duo's primary power set is centered around both the character's Partner pet and both ranged and melee combat. All Duos receive access to a pet that works similarly to a Mastermind at level 1 called a Partner, as well as powers to enhance your pet at levels 6 and 32. Your pet is even-level to you (based off of your Combat Level, so affected by sidekicking and exemplaring). "Build Up" style powers and similar click-buffs also provide their benefits to your pet when you activate them, provided they're within the range of Partnership.

• Dark Assault (Living Shadow)
  • Earth Assault (Golem)
  • Fiery Assault (Pyrokinetic)
  • Icy Assault (Frost Elemental)
  • Martial Assault (Pupil)
  • Psionic Assault (Id Beast)
  • Mighty Assault (Berzerker)

Secondary Power Sets

The Duo's secondary sets are a combination of personal defense and team support. Most of the personal defensive toggles in Duo's sets are converted into AoE Auras that provide the full effect to you and your pet, and reduced effects to all other friendlies in their range.

• Bio Armor (w/ Nature Affinity)
  • Dark Armor (w/ Dark Miasma)
  • Fiery Aura (w/ Thermal Radiation)
  • Invulnerability (w/ Force Fields)
  • Sonic Shielding (New set, modified from Sonic Resonance)
  • Storm Armor (Elec Armor + Storm Summoning)

Ancillary Power Sets

Duos have the following Ancillary pool powers.

• Blaze Mastery
  • Body Mastery
  • Fields Mastery
  • Weapon Mastery

Inherent Power

The Duo's Inherent Power is Partnership. As long as the Duo and their pet are within 60 feet of each other, both receive +10% DMG and +5% ToHit. Additionally, you share the benefits of your defensive powers and any "Build-Up" powers with your pet within this range.

Archetype Enhancement Sets

• Duo's Bond: Damage or Pet Damage. If slotted in an attack power, the power has a chance to give player and pet a small amount of absorb. If slotted into your Partner power, it provides a weaker version of that proc to all your pet's attacks.
  • Power of Two: Damage or Pet Damage. If slotted into an attack power, that attack has a chance for a small Heal and +Regen proc. When slotted into your pet power, it gives a small but constant +DMG and +ToHit while your pet is within 60 feet

Sample Primary: Martial Assault

You are a skilled combatant, both hand-to-hand and with thrown blade, to the point that you have attracted a loyal student. With you and your pupil, you are ready to master your bodies and spirits and seek perfection.

Power Level
Brawling_HeavyBlow.png Thunder Kick 1 Melee, Moderate DMG(Smash), Minor Disorient
w3CdLLe.png Pupil 1 Summon Pupil
MartialAssault_TrickShot.png Trick Shot 2 Ranged, Chain Moderate DMG (Lethal)
EuWLqqU.png Enhanced Technique 6 Ranged, Train Pupil
Brawling_CombatReadiness.png Two-Pronged Attack 8 Auto: All Attacks +DMG, +ToHit, Special
MartialManipulation_BurstofSpeed.png Burst of Speed 12 Location AoE Moderate DMG (Smash), Self Teleport
MartialManipulation_DragonsTail.png Dragon's Tail 18 PBAoE Melee, Moderate DMG(Smash), Foe Knockdown
MartialAssault_MasterfulThrow.png Masterful Throw 26 Sniper, Extreme DMG(Lethal), Chance for DoT (Lethal)
V9g162I.png Complete Training 32 Ranged, Train Pupil

w3CdLLe.pngPupil

Whether by charisma, tradition, or sheer mastery, you have attracted a student who seeks to study at your feet. This Pupil is a capable martial artist in their own right, and will surely grow to be a potent ally.

Effect Summon Pupil
Recharge Very Long
Basic Powers Thunder Kick, (Melee, Minor DMG(Smash), Foe Disorient), Cobra Strike (Melee, High DMG(Smash), Foe Disorient)
Enhanced Powers Crane Kick (Melee, High DMG(Smash), Foe Knockback), Warrior's Challenge (Ranged, Foe Taunt, -Range)
Completed Powers Trick Shot (Ranged, Chain Moderate DMG (Lethal)), Explosive Shuriken (Ranged, Superior DMG(Fire), Minor Splash Damage (Fire DoT)), Eagle's Claw (Melee, Superior DMG(Smash), Foe Disorient)
Enhancements Enhance Accuracy, Enhance Damage, Reduce Endurance Cost, Enhance Disorient Duration, Enhance Taunt
Set Categories Pet Damage, Taunt, Stun

Brawling_CombatReadiness.pngTwo-Pronged Attack

You have become closely in tune with your student, allowing you to strike as one. When you or your partner attack the same opponent , you both have a chance to receive a moderate +ToHit and +Damage bonus for a short duration.

Effect Passive: All Attacks +DMG, +ToHit, Special
Enhancements Enhance Damage, Enhance ToHit

Sample Primary: Mighty Assault/Super Strength

Your immense strength makes you a force to reckon with on your own, but you have attracted a like-minded comrade of similar strength to aid you, making you a two-person wrecking crew.

Power Level Effect
SuperStrength_Punch.png Punch 1 Melee: Moderate DMG(Smash), Foe Knockdown
MZnf9ua.png Berserker 2 Summon Berserker
SuperStrength_HandClap.png Thunderclap 2 PBAoE: High DMG(Smash), Foe Stun, Knockback
GCeqM1G.png Buff Up 6 Ranged: Buff Berzerker
SuperStrength_Rage.png Rage 8 Self +DMG, +To-Hit, Delayed Self -DEF(All), -DMG
SuperStrength_KnockoutBlow.png Knockout Blow 12 Extreme DMG(Smash), Foe Hold, Knockup
CG8wMFs.png Fastball Special 18 Teleport Target, Location AoE Moderate DMG (Smash)
SuperStrength_Hurl.png Hurl 26 Ranged, High DMG(Smash), Foe Knockback, -Fly
9eJfair.png Adrenaline 32 Ranged: Infuriate Berzerker

MZnf9ua.pngBerzerker

Your sheer power has attracted the respect and camaraderie of a superhuman berzerker, armed with strength rivaling your own.

Effect Summon Berzerker
Recharge Very Long
Basic Powers Jab (Minor DMG(Smash), Foe Disorient), Haymaker (High DMG(Smash), Foe Knockdown)
Buffed Powers Hand Clap (PBAoE, Foe Disorient, Knockback), Taunt, Tough (Toggle: Self +Res(Smash/Lethal))
Infuriated Powers Hurl, Foot Stomp, Tremor
Enhancements Enhance Accuracy, Enhance Damage, Reduce Endurance Cost, Enhance Disorient Duration, Enhance Knockback, Enhance Taunt
Set Categories Pet Damage, Taunt, Stun, Knockback

Sample Secondary: Storm Armor

You are surrounded by a whirling rush of wind and lightning that envelops both you and your Partner.

Power Level Effect
A1Jo9w3.png Charged Armor 1 Toggle: PBAoE +Res(Smash, Lethal, Energy)
Ej0iFT8.png O2 Boost 2 Ranged, Ally Heal, +Res(Disorient, Sleep, End Drain), +Perception
o94FH1u.png Conductive Shield 4 Toggle: PBAoE +Res(Fire, Cold, Energy, Negative)
VYJcZic.png Static Shield 10 Toggle: PBAoE +Res(Psionics, Disorient, Hold, Sleep, Teleport, Immobilize, Knockback, End Drain, -Recovery)
R5GepEb.png Freezing Rain 16 Ranged (Location AoE), Minor DoT(Cold), Foe -Recharge, -SPD, -DEF(All), -Res(All)
F68CN6W.png Thunder Clap 20 PBAoE, Foe Disorient
ElectricArmor_Energize.png Energize 28 Self Endurance Discount, Heal, +Regen
ElectricArmor_PBAoEEnduranceDrain.png Power Sink 35 PBAoE, Foe -End, -Recovery, Self +End
UdDjQRx.png Aurora Flare 38 PBAoE +Res(All DMG but Psionics, Disorient, Sleep, Hold, Immobilize, Repel, Knockback, End Drain, -Recovery, Teleport), +Recovery, +Special(EMP Pulse)
Edited by malonkey1
I made a LOT of changes as I was developing this.
  • Like 11

I know you put a lot of thought and work into this post so I'll be gentle with you.

The idea sounds pretty handicapped. Having to rely on another player to get anywhere is completely pointless when you have solo AT builds trashing +4/8 like nothing when they reach Alpha 3 (A3). This whole teamwork mentality might be fun to you, but with how this game currently plays, it's just a meh AT that serious players wouldn't touch. I guess it's okay for couples or boxers. *shrug*

I give you credit for trying to be original though.

• Sad 1

The "other" person from what I can tell is a pet not an actual player. So it is like a limited MM with a mix of attacks/shields/buffs from the example.

I know you put a lot of thought and work into this post so I'll be gentle with you.

The idea sounds pretty handicapped. Having to rely on another player to get anywhere is completely pointless when you have solo AT builds trashing +4/8 like nothing when they reach Alpha 3 (A3). This whole teamwork mentality might be fun to you, but with how this game currently plays, it's just a meh AT that serious players wouldn't touch. I guess it's okay for couples or boxers. *shrug*

It gives you one even lvl pet, as well as AoE defenses for you and the team... how is this awful?

The AT is a pet class, eldriyth.  There's no other person involved.

Also, OP, the formatting is beautiful.  I'm a hard sell on pet classes, but seriously, that's a gorgeous post.

The summon pupil thing I missed. If it is a pet class, it sounds kind of neat. The way you mentioned partner up above sounded like another player. It's just the way you worded it my guy. I like pet classes and another one would be pretty cool.

Also, OP, the formatting is beautiful.  I'm a hard sell on pet classes, but seriously, that's a gorgeous post.

The summon pupil thing I missed. If it is a pet class, it sounds kind of neat. The way you mentioned partner up above sounded like another player. It's just the way you worded it my guy. I like pet classes and another one would be pretty cool.

A big chunk of the post keeps talking about the single pet you have :)

Anyways, this is a really cool idea, but the main seller to me is the AoE armors. That's just a really cool concept to have a bunch of Grant Cover type abilities you can share.

• Like 1

Anyways, this is a really cool idea, but the main seller to me is the AoE armors. That's just a really cool concept to have a bunch of Grant Cover type abilities you can share.

As quoted from OP:

The Defense/Support powers are mostly PBAoE so it encourages the player to wade in alongside their [glow=red,2,300]Partner[/glow], but the AT could reasonably be played with a focus around supporting their [glow=red,2,300]Partner[/glow] from a distance.

Just put PET.

As quoted from OP:

The Defense/Support powers are mostly PBAoE so it encourages the player to wade in alongside their [glow=red,2,300]Partner[/glow], but the AT could reasonably be played with a focus around supporting their [glow=red,2,300]Partner[/glow] from a distance.

Just put PET.

Yeah, the wording could probably be clearer. I'll change it.

Just put PET.

. . .the main gimmick of the class, the Partner, a single, powerful, melee-oriented pet that benefits more from your support powers and shares your clicky buffs.

eldriyth, you don't deserve to have everyone pile on you, but you are the only one who didn't see it.  ::)

I admit I didn't read the entire thing from top to bottom. I usually skim over stuff. He's changing it to read pet class better for skimmers like myself. Hell, if I read that it was a pet class I would of paid more attention to it. I'll admit that was my fault though. I'm man enough to admit that lol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just put PET.

. . .the main gimmick of the class, the Partner, a single, powerful, melee-oriented pet that benefits more from your support powers and shares your clicky buffs.

eldriyth, you don't deserve to have everyone pile on you, but you are the only one who didn't see it.  ::)

I admit I didn't read the entire thing from top to bottom. I usually skim over stuff. He's changing it to read pet class better for skimmers like myself. Hell, if I read that it was a pet class I would of paid more attention to it. I'll admit that was my fault though. I'm man enough to admit that lol.

Dont skim

• Like 2

It sounds like a very unique gameplay experience for a pet class, and while it is definitely very different from anything we have now, it also doesn't feel like too much of a departure from how the current ATs are structured and could reasonably be put together using existing assets already in the game. Conceptually, it also represents something not uncommon in comics that is presently rather difficult to replicate in the CoH character. I dig this idea a lot. I love Masterminds, so I'd be all over an AT like this.

• Like 1

I love this idea, and would play the hell out of it. It really has that Batman & Robin feel to it. And depending how you do names and costumes, it would not be difficult to make your pet the "hero" and yourself the sidekick, which I know would suit a lot of people's RP preferences.

I definitely like making the partner a primary melee function, though giving them at least one ranged attack - maybe low damage with immob, would be useful. I would also build it such that both player and pet have symbiotic PBAoE buffs/debuffs so that while each is good on their own they really excel when side by side, maybe even adding provisional improvements based on distance so their more effective at 20 feet than 30, and yet more effective at 10 than 20.

Of course the real kicker for this AT would be whether you could make a costume and apply it to the pet. This kind of duo dynamic deserves to not be limited to generic NPC appearances like MMs. It would be playable, sure, but much less enjoyable.

Now on the other hand, I could also see a stripped down version this added as a tertiary pool, using a pet with an existing appearance from an NPC faction.

I love the idea as well, and echo two thoughts already made:

These are opinions (mine) and in no way resemble facts.  Feel free to debate

1.) The Mentor needs the melee powers, the sidekick should be the support.  While in the comics, Batman eventually got Robbin to the point to be Nightwing (an independent hero) in the game the sidekick would still always be the sidekick (Batman and Robin forever)

2.) definitely need the ability to customize the heck out of the sidekicks costume.  I wouldn’t want the costume to just be a mini me, but to be able to look independent of my own.

"The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." - Niels Bohr

Global Handle: @JusticeBeliever ... Home servers on Live: Guardian ... Playing on: Everlasting

I love the idea as well, and echo two thoughts already made:

These are opinions (mine) and in no way resemble facts.  Feel free to debate

1.) The Mentor needs the melee powers, the sidekick should be the support.  While in the comics, Batman eventually got Robbin to the point to be Nightwing (an independent hero) in the game the sidekick would still always be the sidekick (Batman and Robin forever)

2.) definitely need the ability to customize the heck out of the sidekicks costume.  I wouldn’t want the costume to just be a mini me, but to be able to look independent of my own.

[*]I can see the argument for making the pet the ranged one, and that might be something that could be done on a per-set basis.

[*]Seconded. Or at least, provide a few choices for pet models.

I mentioned earlier that I'm opposed to pet classes in general, and I have a few specific objections to this one.  So:

• Is this ultimately a melee/support class?  It looks like the player has direct button control over the melee powers and the support powers.  What's the point of the pet, then?  Or to put it differently, are we subtracting the pet's average DPS from the mentor's, making the mentor feel like a weaker, melee-required Defender?  Or is the pet additive to the mentor, making it more like a perma-Lore'd Tanker?
  • Pet classes are perpetually hampered by pet positional AI.  Most Masterminds already skip their own attacks -- which are all ranged to some extent, and so less position-dependent -- and still have a full plate with handling pet positions and support powers.  Reducing the pets to "just the elite one" reduces that opportunity cost, but not in a smooth "one sixth of the pets means one sixth of the time" kind of way.
  • The most successful MM sets have mostly-ranged pet damage because melee is inherently dangerous.  Beastmaster and Ninja MMs have huge challenges, very much associated with their melee pet focus.  Isn't this pet going to spend most of its time face-down?  Is it supposed to be 'expendable' like MM pets are?  Or is it going to tank Recluse for a team?  The middle ground might be narrower than you think... it's not as easy as saying "somewhere in the middle" and being done with it.  For static mitigation sets the difference between +0/x1 and +4/x8 is a mere few percentage points, and involving active mitigation with a pet means eating more and more opportunity time from the primary.
  • Finally, and I can't believe I have to say this.  How on earth did you propose a Duo class and never once manage to include THE most-asked for Duo feature from CoH.  See image below -- and get on it!

346384-20;1488376921s.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No-Set Builds: Tanker Scrapper Brute Stalker

I mentioned earlier that I'm opposed to pet classes in general, and I have a few specific objections to this one.  So:

• Is this ultimately a melee/support class?  It looks like the player has direct button control over the melee powers and the support powers.  What's the point of the pet, then?  Or to put it differently, are we subtracting the pet's average DPS from the mentor's, making the mentor feel like a weaker, melee-required Defender?  Or is the pet additive to the mentor, making it more like a perma-Lore'd Tanker?
  • Pet classes are perpetually hampered by pet positional AI.  Most Masterminds already skip their own attacks -- which are all ranged to some extent, and so less position-dependent -- and still have a full plate with handling pet positions and support powers.  Reducing the pets to "just the elite one" reduces that opportunity cost, but not in a smooth "one sixth of the pets means one sixth of the time" kind of way.
  • The most successful MM sets have mostly-ranged pet damage because melee is inherently dangerous.  Beastmaster and Ninja MMs have huge challenges, very much associated with their melee pet focus.  Isn't this pet going to spend most of its time face-down?  Is it supposed to be 'expendable' like MM pets are?  Or is it going to tank Recluse for a team?  The middle ground might be narrower than you think... it's not as easy as saying "somewhere in the middle" and being done with it.  For static mitigation sets the difference between +0/x1 and +4/x8 is a mere few percentage points, and involving active mitigation with a pet means eating more and more opportunity time from the primary.
  • Finally, and I can't believe I have to say this.  How on earth did you propose a Duo class and never once manage to include THE most-asked for Duo feature from CoH.  See image below -- and get on it!

346384-20;1488376921s.jpg

• Melee/Support would be a good way to describe this AT a lot of the time, yeah. I'm thinking that the melee output for the player alone would sit in the Tanker levels, but with the Pet taken into account, would move into the Brute-level DPS when you're managing your partner properly.
  • The AI is certainly a difficulty that all pets have, which is part of why I suggested this as a single-pet class. I should note that the primary is Assault rather than melee, so some sets may have a stronger ranged focus, and if this AT were to be made, there would obviously be a lot of dialing in on how much ranged vs. melee each set should have.
  • The idea behind the secondary is that the "aura" toggles are changed to PBAoEs that have full effectiveness on yourself and your pet specifically to mitigate the dangers that pets face in melee. It obviously doesn't solve the issue on its own, but provided you remain near the pet, the pet's survivability should be comparable to your own. Again, though, this is all hypothetical, and would require testing to get right.
  • You right, fam. That does need to be there. I guess it'd be a targeted teleport ally with AoE Smashing damage and KD? Like if you mixed Spring Attack and Recall Friend.

Oh my god I love this idea. It's the perfect "Hero" version of the Mastermind.

A few thoughts:

1. I think the Martial Assault set is the iconic Duo primary, but the others seem... well. I dunno. I think the image one envisions with this archetype is the Silver Age hero who has a sidekick that has similar abilities; Batman and Robin, Green Arrow and Speedy, Aquaman and Aqualad, Flash and Kid Flash, so on and so forth. A hero being followed around by a golem, a frost elemental or an id beast... these seem not to fit in with that mold. It fits more with the Mastermind, who has variously themed henchmen, but it strikes me that the idea of the Duo seems to more suggest and call back to instances in comic lore where there was an inseparable partnership between two heroes, rather than a hero and some kind of monster-thing. May I suggest some alternate names for the partners from the various power sets you've listed?

• Martial Assault: Pupil (perfection!)
  • Dark Assault: Apprentice
  • Earth Assault: Geomancer
  • Fiery Assault: Pyrokinetic (this one is perfect as is)
  • Icy Assault: Cryokinetic (following the pattern)
  • Psionic Assault: Neophyte

2. I dunno about you, but I like power sets that give you weapons. Masterminds get access to some ranged weapons. So... how about some love for the Duos with a set that lets them fight with swords, axes and maces?

And how about the other elemental types, apart from just fire, ice and earth?

• Weapon Mastery: Duelist
  • Wind Assault: Aeromancer
  • Lightning Assault: Electrokinetic
  • Water Assault: Hydromancer

3. Of course this raises the question that, if memory serves, has been floating around the community since well before NCSoft shuttered the game: when are we gonna be able to customize the looks of our Mastermind Henchmen/Duo Partners?

• Like 1

Oh my god I love this idea. It's the perfect "Hero" version of the Mastermind.

A few thoughts:

1. I think the Martial Assault set is the iconic Duo primary, but the others seem... well. I dunno. I think the image one envisions with this archetype is the Silver Age hero who has a sidekick that has similar abilities; Batman and Robin, Green Arrow and Speedy, Aquaman and Aqualad, Flash and Kid Flash, so on and so forth. A hero being followed around by a golem, a frost elemental or an id beast... these seem not to fit in with that mold. It fits more with the Mastermind, who has variously themed henchmen, but it strikes me that the idea of the Duo seems to more suggest and call back to instances in comic lore where there was an inseparable partnership between two heroes, rather than a hero and some kind of monster-thing. May I suggest some alternate names for the partners from the various power sets you've listed?

• Martial Assault: Pupil (perfection!)
  • Dark Assault: Apprentice
  • Earth Assault: Geomancer
  • Fiery Assault: Pyrokinetic (this one is perfect as is)
  • Icy Assault: Cryokinetic (following the pattern)
  • Psionic Assault: Neophyte

2. I dunno about you, but I like power sets that give you weapons. Masterminds get access to some ranged weapons. So... how about some love for the Duos with a set that lets them fight with swords, axes and maces?

And how about the other elemental types, apart from just fire, ice and earth?

• Weapon Mastery: Duelist
  • Wind Assault: Aeromancer
  • Lightning Assault: Electrokinetic
  • Water Assault: Hydromancer

3. Of course this raises the question that, if memory serves, has been floating around the community since well before NCSoft shuttered the game: when are we gonna be able to customize the looks of our Mastermind Henchmen/Duo Partners?

[*]The goal with my suggestions was actually intended to show the possible diversity of partners you could have. A Silver Age Hero/Sidekick (or Villain/Lackey) relationship is certainly the most iconic, but I know a lot of players that aren't as into the Golden/Silver Age character types, so my suggestions were made with the goal in mind of not always conforming to that. A more traditional Hero/Sidekick setup isn't a bad idea at all, though.*

[*]I was trying to stick to existing Assault sets to show this AT as doable with minimal new assets, but those options would definitely be ones I'd love to see (and maybe even proliferated back to Dominators)!

[*]That's at the top of my wishlist. Hell, if I could find the time, I'd see if I can figure it out myself, but from what the devs said about the topic, it would be pretty damn hard. If it could be done, that would help a lot with item 1 as well!

*Side note, "Hero and Monster" is a trope that's been in fiction for quite some time, too. Kavalier and Clay, Pokémon, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure's Stand Users, etc.

• Like 1

A Batman & Robin style pet class, I love it.  :)

Maybe have a channeled power where the player can continuously buff the pet until he stops channeling, for those times where the player is too low on HP to be in the thick of it, but still wants to attribute to the fight.

• Like 1

have the choice between mellee and and ranged assault dependent on the first powerset. I'm not sure if I understand how others are seeing how control would work... I assumed there'd just be a few settings ranging from passive to aggressive.

Yeah, presumably it'd use the same pet controls as MMs and Lore Pets.

I like the concept alot.

One thing that jumped out at me as crazy was the HP. The base is like more/equal to a Corr..and you get buff/debudds AND defensive toggles? The max HP is also way way to high (though it would be super hard to get there). Some serious balance issues would need to be looked at too. The overall idea is awesome though!