Recreating Ghost in the Shell in CoH

Dragonfire

I was watching the 2017 movie and it was an interesting concept for the main character.  So that got me thinking - how could I recreate that character in CoH?

My thoughts so far:

Origin: Technology

Powers: Dual pistols? / Regen? / strength?

Archetype: ??

Pool Powers: stealth, jump, super speed (thank you Issue 25/26)

I do want to try the dual pistols set, but I'm curious which combination and archetype can get as close as possible to Motoko's portrayal in the anime and movie.

Thanks!

DP or Assault Rifle

Martial or regen

Sentinel sounds good

Stealth Jump bit of Speed maybe the leadership pool

sounds about right for the Major to me, 

My Dear you deserve the services of a great wizard but youll have to settle for the aid of a second rate pick pocket

~Schmendrick

So you mean you'll put down your rock, and I'll put down my sword; and we'll try and kill each other like civilized people?

8 hours ago, Dragonfire said:

I was watching the 2017 movie and it was an interesting concept for the main character.  So that got me thinking - how could I recreate that character in CoH?

Major Kusanagi Motoko?

Sentinel.  DP/WP or DP/Nin, with Stealth and Fighting pools.  No travel power - Ninja Run and Combat Jumping, instead.

• Like 1

Global Handle: @PaxArcana ... Home servers on Live: Freedom Virtue ... Home Server on HC: Torchbearer

Archetype: Casual Gamer ... Powersets:  Forum Melee / Neckbeard ... Kryptonite:  Altoholism

16 hours ago, Dragonfire said:

You could go Huntsman (Gun-Bane).

You get the gun, stealth, leadership, surveillance, armour, defence all built in. You can even get two 'spider tanks'.

Add in the fighting pool for some melee attacks (plus additional defences) and you're pretty much sorted.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Paj said:

You could go Huntsman (Gun-Bane).

You get the gun, stealth, leadership, surveillance, armour, defence all built in. You can even get two 'spider tanks'.

Add in the fighting pool for some melee attacks (plus additional defences) and you're pretty much sorted.

That would also work.

IifneyR.gif

Verbogeny is one of many pleasurettes afforded a creatific thinkerizer.

The main strenght of the Major is her insane hacking ability. But i dont see a way to represent that in the game.

Her second best weapon is her tactic/leadership skills : she will use everything she can to have the job done : so I feel that she uses Guns only because it's the best weapon she can have in "her" world. She tends to use her cyborg resilience and strenght to overwhelmed her oponent.

For me, her 2 most iconic scenes are the stealth chase / fight and the last fight vs the tank.

So, imho, The Major in Paragon City will not use guns if she can throw fire or having "telepatic" ways to hack brain at range.

Based on this, My Major Kusanagi is a Street Justice / Bio stalker.

The Bio armor theme for me is the only one way to represent her Cyborg body, i just dont take dna siphon, parasitic or the sleep aura.

I just dream that one day we could have a "gun" oriented epic pool.

• Like 2

Just another French Player

So Excuse my old, bad and too french English !

Join THE COSMIC COUNCIL !!!

https://discord.gg/DVksJ4N

The problem with trying to recreate such a character is that Kusanagi is extremely complex. She's very good at numerous different skills: Martial Arts, guns, hacking, leadership, and acrobatics.   

I think if you pay close attention to the various shows, she actually doesn't do very well in melee combat unless she's completely manipulated the situation to her advantage. In  most cases she's going up against foes that are larger and stronger than her, with all sorts of physical augmentations. If you pay close attention, you'll see that her agenda in melee is not geneally to beat a foe into submission, but rather to get close enough to hack them, using acrobatics and cover to avoid being hit until that goal is accomplished.  In almost every case where cover, concealment, and dodging fails, she takes tremendous damage to her cybernetic body. 

But at the same time, I hesitate to suggest going with either of the two gun-based power sets. While Kusanagi is extremely good with firearms of all types, it's generally a last resort, or more importantly, a tool for manipulating the enemy.  It is not actually her primary theme, which is what would happen if you took pistols or assault rifle as your primary power set.   

If anything, I'd say that you'd want to probably go with the Mastermind archtype and choose either soldiers or bots. You'd have some gun-like abilities. Maybe name the bots Fuchikoma and Tachikoma, or give the soldiers names based on her Section 9 squad. The secondary support power set presents some problems, since MM doesn't get any power sets that really fit the overall themes of Kusanagi.  Traps would be the closest, I guess. But even that's not really up her ally.  I suppose there's a case for time manipulation as a form of "hacking"....but that feels like a bit of a stretch to me. 

But I also think that the Huntsman suggested above has a lot of merit, assuming you want to focus on the combat aspects of The Major, since the hacking elements aren't easily represented. 

Just my 2-cents. 

Edited by SirCowdog

3 hours ago, Redlynne said:

Well, they are by mez effects (stun, hold, confuse, etc.).

I mean represented via a power set.   

The closest I can think of would be mind control, which has some very odd animations for computer style hacking.  But I suppose with a little creativity you could explain just about anything away.  CoH ability animations have always been a little on the ridiculous side of over-exaggeration. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:09 PM, PaxArcana said:

Major Kusanagi Motoko?

Sentinel.  DP/WP or DP/Nin, with Stealth and Fighting pools.  No travel power - Ninja Run and Combat Jumping, instead.

I'd definitely go with Ninjutsu. Nin's stealth power ( for non stalkers ) having a run speed boost, Ninja Run, and Sprint, there's no need for a travel power. It's easy to get it up to Superspeed levels of run speed PLUS it has a jump boost. Grab the jump pack for more vertical movement when needed.

• Like 2