CoH Fan Fiction

EyeLuvBooks

We don't have an 'official' location for fanfic as far as I know (someone PLEASE let me know if I'm wrong here!). As a writer, I really enjoy writing about my characters, their backgrounds and other 'behind the scenes' stories.

So until we have an 'official' spot, this is THE home for CoH fan fiction! I'll kick off with some of my own work. This one originates from my very first CoH character, a SS/Invul Brute named Total Violence.

Note: Flagged for adult language. Don't let your kids read this unless you like having messed up kids...

Interview with a Monster

By Rebecca Wyatt

My name is Rebecca Wyatt and for the last seven years I’ve worked as a criminal psychologist for the Paragon Department of Corrections. I’ve interviewed thousands of inmates from all walks of life in an attempt to discover if there is any link, some verifiable common thread between the most violent offenders. Since January of this year I’ve been working mainly at the Ziggursky facility, affectionately known as the Zig. Only the most violent, the most dangerous are kept here. I didn’t feel that my research would be complete until I’d explored every corner of the criminal mind. So it was that on that fateful day, April 21st, after vainly searching for a parking place in the over-crowded lot, that I was late to my first interview of the day.

I walked briskly down the hall and through the security doors into the small interview room. There were two guards armed with shock sticks standing in the corners and an armored figure sitting at what we called The Desk. It was a single block of cast steel, molded with a knee hole so the inmate can sit. His hands were held to the top of the desk by heavy manacles and though I couldn’t see them I knew his feet were similarly bound. Between the shackles sat a large cup of coffee with a straw sticking out of it.

The inmate himself was…impressive. His armored form was easily twice as wide as me and half again as tall. I was looking him in the eye though I was standing and he was sitting. The armored plates that covered his body looked worn and dented, as if they’d been poorly repaired. His eyes were slits in the metal mask but I could see his real eyes inside…and some of the terrible scar tissue surrounding them. I paused a moment, took a breath, then sat down across from him.

“Inmate #4466882, a.k.a. Total Violence,” I read calmly from his file. “For the last seven years you’ve been held here at the Zigg but you’ve had a series of other incarcerations at other facilities…all for three months or less.”

“No cable,” he said curtly.

“I beg your pardon?” His reply had taken me by surprise.

“No cable at those other joints,” he repeated. “That’s why I broke out.”

“Cable television makes you happy?”

“I like cartoons,” he smirked, at least it sounded like one. “Helps me keep my mind off of…things.”

“The cable here at the Zig must be good to keep you here for seven years,” I commented as I read through the file. “You’ve had a few…incidents…but your behavior has been better than at any time in your past.”

“If I behave, I get perks,” he said after leaning forward slowly and taking a sip of his coffee. “No fights for a month, more t.v. time. Three months, they let me out in the yard for an hour every day. At six months I get to use the weight room but I ain’t made it that long yet.”

“Tell me about your time with Doctor Fischer,” I prompted him. I didn’t want to be too intrusive too quickly but I felt the interview was going well so far.

“He was a quack,” he snorted. “Wanted to make a name for himself by cracking Public Enemy Number Six. Hours of talk, talk, talk. Then he took away my meds…that’s what set me off.”

“I don’t see any notes about altering your medication…” I commented as I flipped through the pages.

“That’s because he was a lying fucker!” he snapped. “He took me off stuff, put me on new stuff, all to get me to talk. If the Prison Board had found out he woulda been kicked out…so he kept it quiet. Six months of Hell for me, just to get me to spill my name.”

“It says here that he was having a session with you on the night he died,” I prompted gently.

“You mean he was dopin’ me up with his latest formula on the night I killed him? Yeah…pretty much. Before the drugs just made me loopy so I didn’t mind too much but this time…it burned. It burned like nothing you’ve ever felt in your life. I’ve been shot, stabbed, blown up…my right arm wound up in the gullet of some demon or another. Both my legs are metal because the real ones were broken by a fight with a giant. I never felt pain like that before. I broke out of the restraints and tore his fucking head off before the guards got in and put me under.”

“So, you only killed Fischer because he hurt you,” I said flatly. “It wasn’t some mad-dog attack with no rhyme or reason.”

“What difference does it make?” he asked before leaning forward for another long pull on his coffee.

“My goal is to find out why people kill. If you were as crazy as everyone says, you wouldn’t have needed a reason to kill Fischer…you would have killed him and not cared.”

He sighed, a great, heavy sigh, like some weight had been lifted from him. I was still looking at the file when he spoke again.

“Vittorio,” he said softly, “Anthony Vittorio. My friends called me Tony V. I was a mook working for the Family when…all of this happened.”

“Thank you, Mr. Vittorio,” I said gratefully. “Is there anyone you want me to contact for you? Do you have any family or friends on the outside you’d like to communicate with?”

“Nah…I’ll be seeing them soon enough,” he replied casually.

“Do you expect them to visit you in here?”

“No need…I’m getting out today.”

The steel of the manacles screamed in protest as he wrenched his hands free. The guards started to move but even restrained as he was, he was far too dangerous. The guard on the right died instantly as a fist penetrated his rib cage. The other hand snatched up the other guard and held him easily off the floor.

“Keys!” he demanded and the guard produced his keyring. “Unlock me!” The guard was dropped to the floor where he crawled to the leg restraints and unlocked them. During the entire scene I sat riveted in my chair…too frightened to move. Tony Vittorio, otherwise known as Total Violence, stood up from the steel block that served as a chair and flexed his arms and legs.

“Now…to get down to business,” he snarled as he turned towards the quivering guard.

“Wait! I’m with you!” the guard begged. “I was the one who juiced your coffee to get you out!”

“One problem with that,” Tony said as he picked up the guard and held him to his chest with one arm. “You make really shitty coffee!” With his other arm Tony bent the guard backwards slowly until he was nearly double. The screams didn’t quite drown out the sounds of his spine cracking.

“Please don’t hurt me,” I said simply. All my training, all my years of experience, and that was all I could think of to say.

“Don’t worry…you’re not on the menu today,” he replied as he dropped the guard’s still-twitching body. “You’ve got an important job…as a hostage. With you in front of me they won’t dare shoot. Once I get clear I’ll let you go.”

“Thank you…” I stammered but he cut me off harshly.

“Don’t make it sound like I’m doin’ you any favors. If I smell one thing goin’ wrong on the way out, I’ll tear off your arm and use it as a back-scratcher. If we get out, I want you to give the warden and the rest of the fuckheads at the Home Office a message: Kill me. Kill me and be done with it. Next time you got me in your sights don’t fap about trying to arrest me or reform me…pull the fucking trigger.”

“You…want to die?” I was stunned. I’d dealt with suicides before but none of them had been so…passionate about it.

“Look at me!” he shouted as he removed his mask. His face was a patchwork of scars and burns. “I’m in pain all the time! The meds take the edge off, but only just. I’m on the broken edge of a bottle every minute of every day! You wanna know why I kill? Because for just a little while it makes the pain stop…that’s why! I kill because it’s the only thing that makes me happy…the only thing I’m good for! So, we’re gonna leave and you’re gonna tell whoever you have to tell that I’m bug-nuts crazy. Tell ‘em I’m beyond hope. Tell ‘em whatever you gotta to make them understand.”

“I’ll tell them,” I said quietly, “and I’m sorry. I’m sorry I didn’t understand why…”

“I don’t need your pity,” he barked as he unlocked the door and pushed me into the hall. The sirens were already going off, indicating an escape. “Pity got me locked up for the last seven years, barely able to keep my head on straight. Now I’m out…free…and I’m gonna make people understand.”

“Understand what?” I asked as he led me down the hall with a heavy hand on my shoulder.

“I’m bad, lady…evil…rotten to the core,” he said bitterly. “You don’t cage evil…you don’t reform it. You find it and you kill it…period. You make ‘em understand, or I’ll go on a spree that’ll make Captain Mako look like a boy scout hunting badges.”

His plan worked, after a fashion. While all the guards were rushing to the perimeter of the prison, he led me deeper inside. We got to the Solitary wing and he coerced one of the guards to open one of the cells. I gasped as a tall figure stooped to duck under the door and then rose to his full height. He was taller than Tony, though whipcord thin, and with a head like a cross between a fish and a lizard. He looked down at me and smiled and I saw about a hundred narrow dagger-like teeth.

“How nice,” he said in a raspy voice, “you brought me a snack!”

“Hand off!” Tony said harshly. “She’s our ticket out.”

“I can get us out now,” the tall figure said as he craned his head towards the cell. “The runes in there kept me trapped but out here…I can take us anywhere.”

“Remember what I said, lady,” Tony said with a squeeze of my arm. “Next time, no arrest…no surrender. You put us down or we’ll just keep killing.”

The thin one laid his hand on Tony’s shoulder, muttered a few words I couldn’t understand and suddenly they were both gone. I sat down hard on the floor, right there in the hallway, and waited for the guards to show up. I told them the whole thing, just like he said, and demanded to speak with the warden. I have to make them understand that if they don’t put him down, Total Violence will live up to his name.

• Like 6

No worries EyeLuvBooks you should be fine. This is the place for all creative types to post their stuffz.

Dacy already started a thread below for her writing. Up to you writerly types if you want a central thread to share stuff

or if you plan to post a lot if you want individual threads. I'm just happy to have more stuff to read.

Drawing ATM but I will read this when I get more free time. Cheers! zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Like 2

Like the Costume Creator? Enjoy a challenge? Love to WIN?

You really should've clicked here before 6pm on Sunday the 18th!

07K1tHnz_o.png

Since you asked for more stuff to read,,,

Plans for Global Domination

Part 17

By Major MENACE

My clever yet dastardly plan continues. Today my Alpha Squad and I infiltrated a drug deal between the Trolls and the Skulls. Hostages had been taken by the Skulls and needed to be rescued. Typical. Once I have conquered the world such petty crimes shall be eradicated. But I digress.

The mission itself was fairly straightforward until the strongarm of the drug den, a burly character named Backbreaker, showed up. My team and I had our hands full but we managed to defeat him, free the hostages and escape.

Note to self: Commend the engineering team for the design of the new M-47 Acid Mortar. The device is lightweight, deploys quickly and functions perfectly in the field. Offer to pay the lead engineer double and send him and his family on a vacation. He has pictures of tropical islands all over his cubicle…that should spark ideas.

Some of the men have questioned my decision to register as a Hero formally and move operations to Paragon City. I reminded them that the last time I tried to take over the world from the Rogue Isles there was constant interruption from Recluse and his underlings. Here, disguised as heroes of the people, we can operate more freely and with full support of the public. What does it matter if the enemies we defeat also happen to be the same enemies everyone else is fighting? The enemy of my enemy and all of that.

Special Note: Many of the local heroes have come to appreciate my special talents with regards to leadership and tactical planning. I was asked to assist a small team last week in their efforts to defeat the local Clockwork colony before they reanimated their ‘Clockwork King’ again. Apparently, they had failed in their previous attempt and they put out a hue and cry on the local Hero Help Line. My team and I responded and by the end of the mission the Clockwork were defeated. Praise for my Assault and Tactics skills, as well as the accuracy of my team, were credited with the overall success of the mission.

Little do they know that as I aid them in their petty struggles, I am secretly collecting data on all of them. Some are beneath my notice, battling the same enemies over and over to collect heaps of reward money. However, many have proven to be able enough fodder for my war machine and some, a very few, have proven themselves worthy to be included in my Leadership of Evil when the time comes.

Note to Self: Research trademark re: Leadership of Evil.

As another day draws to a close, I sit back and think about the best things in life; A genius-level intellect, loyal minions to lead, an evil scheme of conquest, a good brandy and a cat. Otto seems content with my plan and that’s all the reassurance I need.

• Like 3

Well written first short story, Tony V as in the Titan Network?

I like the 2nd one as well, that sounds like one of the reasons we

have vigilantes and rogues, some are likely wolves in sheep's clothing.

No worries though they will eventually reveal their plans in a monologue to a

hero only to be defeated or they will be betrayed by another villain also wanting to

rule or some unruly minion will get delusions of grandeur and push the self-destruct button.

Edited by Christopher Robin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

Well written first short story, Tony V as in the Titan Network?

I like the 2nd one as well, that sounds like one of the reasons we

have vigilantes and rogues, some are likely wolves in sheep's clothing.

No worries though they will eventually reveal their plans in a monologue to a

hero only to be defeated or they will be betrayed by another villain also wanting to

rule or some unruly minion will get delusions of grandeur and push the self-destruct button.

Tony V was my own creation. When I'm at a loss for a name I fall back on my fave which is making the real name with the same initials or sounding in some way like the metahuman name. Total Violence therefore became Tony Vittorio.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, QueenBethari said:

@EyeLuvBooks Bravo! The first entry was absolutely riveting. It started off like Silence of the Lambs, then went totally...violent. 

I'm intrigued about the first 16 parts of the second entry. Who is this villain, why is he masquerading as a hero, and what kind of cat is he petting? I must know!

Major MENACE is my own creation, as is his villainous networks also called MENACE (Mean, Evil, Nasty And Cruel to Everyone). He's inspired by Dr Evil of Inspector Gadget fame as well as a bad guy that I used in my Champions PnP game years ago. Major Menace was a brilliant and charismatic leader with an inept and comical side. All of his plans had to be rediculously over the top and all would fail even if the heroes never did anything.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later
  • 2 weeks later
  • Retired Community Rep

I'd started a topic I'd hoped would become a place for stories to be posted, but it looks like not so much. Thanks for posting, nice job!

(Link to the topic I had started)

• Like 2

@Dacy Lol. Something about creative types and herding cats comes to mind. 07K1tHnz_o.png

I could point to a half dozen examples already in this section of the forums where

I tried to foresee what would be needed and set it up in advance...

some of them worked out better than others. rs4wmRnk_o.gif

That said I will point out that if enough quantity starts happening there is merit in people having their

own art/writing threads and also having centralized general purpose threads to share stuff in.

Hard to tell in the early days but in the long run it can make things much easier to find.

It has been my experience (many times over now) that when you're the "first in the door" you do

your best and then let those that follow change and evolve it into something beyond your initial conception.

Also did you consult with any other CoH writers before setting it up? 

• Like 2

07K1tHnz_o.png

• Retired Community Rep

I don't know any other COH writers. 🙂

I dunno, I guess I was just hoping they'd see the topic and put up their work. Then I saw that @EyeLuvBooks had also started a topic after not seeing one, and I thought, well, there's another one, maybe if we combine, others will start to add theirs.  Was worth a try. 🙂

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well then hopefully you will meet some through this site. zb7XgP0P_o.png I will say @Caemgen, while he doesn't write professionally,

is one of the best storytellers and concept creators I know. @Darth Delicious also writes and has a book in the works (non CoH).

@Flashtoo's hero The Hour Thief is in a real published series but I don't know if that's her writing under a pen name or a friend's work.

There are also a couple of other people who's writing I am not as familiar with (but I know it's set in the CoX verse) whom I am

trying to convince to post here as well. One is already here and playing the game and I posted a color pencil

coloring of Brahn that she did in my artz thread already. /e waves at @Bhudicae. HmWYqjbR_o.gif

On the note of your thread, bear in mind I am not a writer so this is a less than informed opinion but when I reread the OP

I picked up on... "If you'd like critical feedback, editing suggestions, grammar and spelling checks........ reviews etc. "

and thought what if they don't want any of that?  What if they just want a personal space to create or maybe

their stories have already been proofread and they just want to post them for others to enjoy?

Also, despite the hashtags, nothing in the title told me that it was a place for other writers to post,

(at least not in the way that say a "Post your best costumes here" title makes it clear)

which is one reason I wondered if you had consulted any other writers?

Also adding into the first paragraph of that thread "Sure, I could make it about just my stuff, but"

is perhaps not the most inviting thing ever? An datz not jus cuz ju iz putn' a comma before da werd but! (j/k)

Again just my two cents in an unfamiliar subject, please disregard if I am barking up the wrong Ent. 07K1tHnz_o.png

• Like 3

07K1tHnz_o.png

• Retired Community Rep

Guess I suck at starting topics. 😞

I'd thought the purpose of the topic was clear : " There was no place for longer pieces of fiction, and I KNOW they are out there! So I decided to start a topic. Sure, I could make it about just my stuff, but I know there are lots of great writers out there." Literally the first sentences. Guess I need to say it explicitly.

As to the bit about the critique and other stuff, I'd said "if" you want. Some do, some don't, and I indicated I was open to it (but I think most writers are hoping the reviews are more positive than picky! lol). TBH, I'd really like to just know if someone read the thing, and asking for feedback is a good way to see if anyone read it. As of right now, I doubt anyone has.

So, summing up, thought I was clear, obviously I wasn't, guess I'll just be over here in the corner, I promise not to start any more topics. Oh and I know @Flashtoo as an excellent base designer, but didn't know she wrote! I looked up that book, tho, and the only one I could find was written by a male, so not sure how to find that work. Or, really, any that you mentioned. Which is why I'd love to see a pinned topic (Obviously NOT started by me!) for posting fiction. Mine's quite long, but would people prefer to see it on the forums instead of having to download it?

There used to be a website that was strictly devoted to COH fanfic, and I had posted it entirely online there. (Well, an earlier version).

-Dacy

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

7 hours ago, Dacy said:

Guess I suck at starting topics. 😞

I'd thought the purpose of the topic was clear : " There was no place for longer pieces of fiction, and I KNOW they are out there! So I decided to start a topic. Sure, I could make it about just my stuff, but I know there are lots of great writers out there." Literally the first sentences. Guess I need to say it explicitly.

As to the bit about the critique and other stuff, I'd said "if" you want. Some do, some don't, and I indicated I was open to it (but I think most writers are hoping the reviews are more positive than picky! lol). TBH, I'd really like to just know if someone read the thing, and asking for feedback is a good way to see if anyone read it. As of right now, I doubt anyone has.

So, summing up, thought I was clear, obviously I wasn't, guess I'll just be over here in the corner, I promise not to start any more topics. Oh and I know @Flashtoo as an excellent base designer, but didn't know she wrote! I looked up that book, tho, and the only one I could find was written by a male, so not sure how to find that work. Or, really, any that you mentioned. Which is why I'd love to see a pinned topic (Obviously NOT started by me!) for posting fiction. Mine's quite long, but would people prefer to see it on the forums instead of having to download it?

There used to be a website that was strictly devoted to COH fanfic, and I had posted it entirely online there. (Well, an earlier version).

-Dacy

No need to go to extremes.

I never said you suck or told you to go sit in the corner. That was not to be the take away at all.

You did see me say it was an uniformed opinion, right? And to disregard it all if I am off the mark (even cracked

a tree joke with Ent and put in a winky face to make it extra clear). Those are just my first impressions,

not some sort of scathing commentary on your ability to start a topic.

Sent you a PM.

Flash is a base designer too and if you've looked about the

artz forums you'll find she's decent at the drawing stuff as well. 07K1tHnz_o.png

Her book series is called the Interminables and it is written by Paige Orwin

and you can find them on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/Interminables-Paige-Orwin/dp/085766591X

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

07K1tHnz_o.png

• Retired Community Rep

Thanks. I was going to delete my little reactive episode (but that would be confusing since you quoted me); I think I was not in the right frame of mind to take your comments as harmlessly as they were meant. I apologize, I did overreact. And to be a bit pedantic, I never meant to imply you or anyone else told me to sit in the corner, I meant it more as a comment to the point that I'm apparently not being effective at communicating, (qed), and so I will just hang here off to the side and not post so much, since they weren't effective posts. Also, I did not say I suck, I said I sucked at making topics, which, if you look at the lack of response and activity in said topic, I maintain that to be true in this topic area, anyway. I don't know if it's my wording, topic choice, or what, but it failed to generate interest. I had thought that by mentioning it again, maybe topics could be combined or something, or we could get a topic going, but...well, I just felt like that wasn't the focus, and so, unlikely to happen. I'd love to know anyone even read my story, so to see it buried and forgotten added to my reactions.

I want to be clear that my self-deprecating comments were my own opinion of myself, not my interpretation of your comments. And, speaking of self-deprecating, you may say you have an "uninformed opinion", but your grammar and word skills are clearly of a very high order, which lends your opinion a great deal of credence to me.

Again, my apologies. Sometimes I excel at saying exactly the wrong thing: today looks like one of those days.

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Dacy It is awesome that you wanted to clear the air, and it's a sign of a strong person to be able to admit that they might have said things in the moment that they didn't entirely mean ❤️ 

One thing to note is that your story is very long... forum residents who are passing through can very easily peruse new pieces of art or a few paragraphs of short stories at a given time, but reading 60+ pages is a pretty huge time-and-effort commitment, and you may find it difficult to get any feedback.

One suggestion: maybe you can grab a couple of enticing paragraphs from your story and post them here? Could be some intriguing dialogue or plot point from your opening pages, or perhaps a cliffhanger from a chapter's end; just a sort of "teaser" to increase visibility and to get people in to your story :]

Either way, I'm glad you're here and writing! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Christopher Robin said:

Well then hopefully you will meet some through this site. zb7XgP0P_o.png I will say @Caemgen, while he doesn't write professionally,

is one of the best storytellers and concept creators I know. @Darth Delicious also writes and has a book in the works (non CoH).

@Flashtoo's hero The Hour Thief is in a real published series but I don't know if that's her writing under a pen name or a friend's work.

There are also a couple of other people who's writing I am not as familiar with (but I know it's set in the CoX verse) whom I am

trying to convince to post here as well. One is already here and playing the game and I posted a color pencil

coloring of Brahn that she did in my artz thread already. /e waves at @Bhudicae. HmWYqjbR_o.gif

On the note of your thread, bear in mind I am not a writer so this is a less than informed opinion but when I reread the OP

I picked up on... "If you'd like critical feedback, editing suggestions, grammar and spelling checks........ reviews etc. "

and thought what if they don't want any of that?  What if they just want a personal space to create or maybe

their stories have already been proofread and they just want to post them for others to enjoy?

Also, despite the hashtags, nothing in the title told me that it was a place for other writers to post,

(at least not in the way that say a "Post your best costumes here" title makes it clear)

which is one reason I wondered if you had consulted any other writers?

Also adding into the first paragraph of that thread "Sure, I could make it about just my stuff, but"

is perhaps not the most inviting thing ever? An datz not jus cuz ju iz putn' a comma before da werd but! (j/k)

Again just my two cents in an unfamiliar subject, please disregard if I am barking up the wrong Ent. 07K1tHnz_o.png

Dang! CR layin it down again. giving good advice in a funny way again. promoting the hell out of everyone but hisself, AGAIN and surprise! getting crap for it again. smh

Dacy, girl that is some thin skin for someone saying you want criticism!  but I AM very happy   you came back and apologised and not many have the guts to do that these days so hooray for that. thumbsup.

I bet you got CR pegged too he probably is a writer or english teacher or something and just wont say it HA! :p     

MBM lotsa good points and a teaser is a good idea. :]

• Retired Community Rep

@DJ1, normally, don’t have such reactions. Musta been a bad day. And tho I’d asked for critique on my fiction, I did not expect it on my posts or efforts, and I take it better, apparently, when I’m expecting it. Over and done, nothing to see here, I’m moving on. I must because I cannot unsay what I posted, though I wish I could. 

I was about to say, @Midnight Blue Magehad some good ideas, and I’ll look for some excerpts, maybe write a blurb. Not sure where to post them, however; I’m still in favor of a general writer’s works topic. I guess I’ll go with @EyeLuvBookstopic, it being more recent and having the advantage of having another author already present. 

And I do appreciate CR’s plugs and the considerable effort he puts into this corner for the arts. I know he’d like to see more people posting and doing creative works here. I don’t know as he’s an author or teacher, however, you certainly can be proficient in English without being either, and I know a fair share of authors who need a lot of editing to look anywhere near proficient. All I know is, he’s very good at grammar and spotting errors. He’d make an excellent copy editor, at the very least. 

-Dacy

• Like 2

• Retired Community Rep

The Fight Begins

It was on a whim that she decided to apply for the job.  She never realized it would lead to a fight for her very life, or that all of Paragon City could well be wiped out if she makes the wrong choice...

Chapter One

He was late again. It was going to be another long night.

Dacy frowned slightly as she took another look at her progress on typing up the weekly Case Report for their client. She was almost done, and then what would she do? She glanced involuntarily at the slight smudge on the window that indicated the spot where, if she pressed her forehead to the glass and looked to the left, she could just barely see the entryway to the building. It was a lot of effort just for a glimpse, she chided herself. What, am I a schoolgirl who has to sit by the phone in case he calls? Dacy realized with some irritation that she was playing with her hair, and placed her hands firmly back on the keyboard. All right, so maybe the schoolgirl comparison wasn't so far off the mark. Silly thing, focus on your work! He's not coming back any time soon.

Well, this job sure hadn't turned out to be like anything she'd expected. Actually, looking back, she wasn't sure what she had anticipated. Seeing an ad in the paper for an assistant for a detective whose last name was the same as her first, well... that had just seemed too much like Fate to her. She was fairly sure "Trick Dacy" had to be a made up name, but even so, it was just too much of a coincidence for her to ignore. So, she'd stopped by the office, just out of curiosity. The office was fairly forgettable: your typical run-down and poorly lit hole-in-the-wall detective agency. The man sitting behind the desk was definitely NOT forgettable. Tall, dark, and handsome was the oh-so-applicable cliche that sprang to mind, but Trick was no cliche. He certainly had a distinctive style! His trademark yellow suit was definitely out of the ordinary, for one, and he often used phrases and references that sounded like they were straight out of a 20's speakeasy, even though she thought he himself couldn't be more than 30. These things set him apart from anyone Dacy had met before, but it was his intensity that really caught her interest. Such a lot of fascinating characteristics, all rolled up in a package that was very easy on the eyes! Intrigued, Dacy filled out an application on the spot. She'd thought Trick must have been just as taken with her, because he'd interviewed her then and there, and hired her as quickly as she had filled out the application.

Okay, so you didn't realize that the ad had been running for six weeks. Dacy's mouth twisted wryly. She shook her head, and then gave in to a chuckle. Much to her disappointment, hiring her immediately was the most interest Trick had shown in her up to this point. She gave a mental shrug and returned to the report in front of her. Well, at least the work was interesting. It would be more interesting if she could go out in the field with him. Dacy chafed at the restrictions, because she had always loved excitement, and the idea of helping to chase down the bad guys had a lot of appeal to her. Thus far, she hadn't been able to convince him that her help would be a good idea. In Paragon City, where they lived, it was dangerous to be on the streets. The city had undergone a series of cataclysmic changes that had brought all kinds of evil to its doorstep, but also a large population of heroes who used their various powers to fight this evil. Neither he nor Dacy possessed any sort of special ability that would help them in the event of meeting up with the powerful villains at large in the city, so he was unlikely to want her to come along. He maintained that the risk was bad enough for him; he wasn't adding her to the equation.

Dacy looked over the report. Unfortunately, the information on it was rather sparse. The client, a Marcus Solomon, had hired Trick to recover a stolen vase, reputed to be quite valuable. The vase had been taken right off of the ship it arrived on; the cargo hadn't been unloaded yet, and the rest of the cargo hadn't been touched. Naturally, no one had seen anything, and although the police had to be alerted, Solomon had been clear that he didn't expect any results from their investigation, and so, was hiring a private investigator. So much for the information their client had shared with them. What was more interesting was what he hadn't shared with them. Perhaps, if Solomon had told them a little more, Trick would have been able to solve the case by now, instead of spending yet another night out on stakeout!

Trick had quickly become suspicious of the nature of the item because nothing else had been touched, although there were quite a few valuable things on the ship. The fact that there were items listed at over twice what the vase's reputed value was, in the very same hold as the stolen item, pointed to a specific reason that item was taken. Putting that together with the fact that there was no real physical evidence, and the reliable guards' memories were suspiciously fuzzy on any details of the entire evening, and Trick had deduced that magic was involved. This was, after all, Paragon City, and magic was almost commonplace. The artifact was likely taken for its magic. What magical properties those were, was still quite unclear. Solomon had admitted the vase was magical, but claimed he'd been importing it for study, not to use it for magic, and so had no real idea what sort of powers it had. Dacy doubted that. You didn't become as rich and powerful as Solomon was and buy something that expensive, without knowing why you were buying it. He knew, she was sure. Trick was sure, too, but obviously, his client did not wish to tell him that information, and so, he would not press it further.

Knowing the item was magic was one thing, but proving who took it was quite another. Marcus didn't want an airtight case; he simply wanted the vase back, quickly, quietly, and no questions asked. But, even had Trick been inclined to cut corners and not build as complete a case as possible (something Dacy very much suspected was not possible for him), it still had taken painstaking old-fashioned detective work to dig up any evidence as to the identity of the thieves and the possible location of the vase. Dacy skimmed over the report, checking for typing errors as she reviewed the case. This week, Trick really had made quite a bit of progress. It was entirely possible, she thought happily, that this would be the one and only case report she would need to type up before the thing was over and done. She glanced around at the shoddy office, at the walls in need of paint, at the furniture that had seen better days, been retired, and then wound up here, and tried not to wonder once again exactly what those stains in the carpeting were. Oh, yes, it would be good to get a nice paycheck from this one! Solomon was bound to be happy with this. Trick had started with no leads to anything, and with careful research into any and everything remotely connected to the ship, the docks, the guards, the warehouse the cargo was destined for, and all of the connected companies and the lists of their partners, had managed to come up with some names of people who were suspected of being associated with the Circle of Thorns, which pointed to their involvement. Dacy's eyes closed for a moment as she remembered the hours of research she'd done, trying to uncover all of the shell companies that might be hiding criminal connections... That hadn't been very fun. While Trick had been out hitting his contacts and informants to see if any of them could shed light on the heist, she had been pouring through pages of information, comparing names to a list of names and known aliases of known or suspected Circle members. Once she had found some names, Trick again hit the streets to shake loose some information to connect the dots between the names they had and the theft. Meanwhile, she got to work her way through mind numbing manifests and inventories, tracking possible places the vase could have gone. They suspected that the Circle was using warehouses owned by seeming legitimate businesses, but controlled in fact by the Circle through shell corporations. It felt like they were getting closer, but they still had nothing concrete...except some confirmation of what they already knew, that the Circle was a magical organization with vast resources that hid its tracks very well and was exceedingly hard to pin down. It was also very dangerous.

Dacy jumped as the phone rang. Thinking about the dangers involved with the Circle had left her on edge. She gave herself a mental shake and took a deep breath to calm her now racing heart. She picked up the receiver. "Trick Dacy Investigations, how may we help you?"

"I have information I know you would be interested in." The male voice on the other end wasn't particularly menacing or notable in any way, and yet, Dacy felt her skin crawl.

"How do you know we are interested in what you have? What information? What is this concerning?"

"It concerns a vase that Mr. Dacy has been showing a particular interest in. I am interested in exchanging my information for an appropriate amount of money.This is not the sort of information I am going to give to anyone else, especially not over the phone. I am sure Mr. Dacy would be interested, if you would be so kind as to tell him."

Dacy decided that what she didn't like about the voice was its utter lack of any hint of emotion. She blinked. Distracted by her reaction to the caller, she'd almost forgotten a basic detective rule: get all the information you can! Trick wouldn't be happy with her if she screwed this up. A possible lead could not be ignored. Still, best to play it cool. "I don't know why you think Mr. Dacy would be interested in your information. Still, I'll pass along your message. May I tell him who called? And where you can be reached?" Dacy held her breath, hoping this was a good lead.

The caller laughed. It was not a pleasant sound. "If you are to pretend disinterest in the vase, well and good, but then Mr. Dacy should not be asking so many questions from so many. It would not profit him to ignore my information. Has he so many leads he has no reason to seek further?" The dry voice mocked her. "Surely you know of the vase of which I speak? Or do you not share confidences with your employer? Perhaps I should only speak to him, then. How may I reach him?"

Dacy gritted her teeth and did her best not to sound ruffled. "Perhaps he would be the best judge of whether or not your information is valuable. Perhaps it is worthless, perhaps it is of some small value." There, take that! "I will give him your name and where you can be reached, and he can decide if it is worth contacting you. If you can tell me that small information, I will tell him. If you are still interested in the money you think it is worth...?"
The caller was silent for a moment. Dacy wondered if perhaps she'd played this one wrong, and felt a pang of anxiety.

"Tell him Paul Manitoba called. I know where the vase is, but he'll have to move fast." Dacy quickly wrote down the cell phone number he rattled off, her mind racing. Oh, please let this be legitimate... She quickly hung up and dialed Trick's cell number.

Trick took a few moments to answer. His answering 'hello' was quiet and cautious. Dacy swallowed. She hoped this wasn't a particularly dangerous stakeout.

"I may have something for you, Boss. An informant called, wanting a payday for some info he had. Wouldn't give it to me."

"This could be good...who was it?"

"Said his name was Paul Manitoba. Didn't want to tell me anything. Gave me the creeps, honestly."

Trick chuckled. "Probably means he's legit, dollface. Informers are rat-fink double-crossers who'd sell their own mother if you offered 'em enough dough. Still...I don't recall a Manitoba from my contacts. An informer calling me, when I never heard of the joe before...I don't like it. Not in connection with this case. It was the vase he was calling about, wasn't it?"

"Yeah. Said he knew where it was, but you'd have to hurry. I got his cell phone number."

"Knows where it is, but I have to hurry. That's convenient," Trick growled. "Liking this less and less...did you by chance look him up on my contact list, or do any searches on him at all, yet?"

Dacy's fingers flew to the keyboard. "On it, Boss. You want that number?"

"Sure."

Dacy rattled off the cell phone number as she scanned the search results. "He's not in your database, that's for sure. Searching out who he is, that will take longer. You want me to call you back when I have something?"

Trick hesitated for a second, and then said, "I'd appreciate that, but, don't you need to be getting home soon?"

"I don't mind," Dacy said, biting her lip. She was not going home!

"Ok. I'm going to see what this joker has to say. Call me when you have something. I got a bad feeling about this whole set up."
That makes two of us. "Be careful, Boss," Dacy said, as he hung up. She went back to the computer screen, to start her search.

Keep reading if you like, the entire story may be found here:The Fight Begins.docx

-Dacy

• Like 5

• Retired Community Rep

Well, actually, I wanted to go ahead and do two chapters. 🙂 But not all at once in one post. I'll go ahead with the second installment, and then, if people aren't interested by then, well, oh well; I don't think folks would like it if I posted the whole thing. 🙂  Not when they could just download it.

The Fight Begins - continued

Chapter Two

Trick continued to watch the warehouse he'd been monitoring, cell phone still in hand, as he considered the situation. This was the third night in a row of tailing likely suspects and investigating possible locations for the stolen vase, and as much as he hated to admit it, he hadn't made much progress. Solomon was becoming understandably more anxious, as the trail grew ever colder, and the chances of recovering the vase grew more remote. He needed a break. But, this joe, calling out of the blue, offering information...this was either a gift from heaven, or a set up. Still, if it was a set up, it meant he'd shaken the right tree. That alone could be a break. Now if he could just figure out which tree it had been... He dialed the number.

"How badly do you want the vase, Mr. Dacy?" No greetings, no confirmation of identity, and Trick knew his phone didn't give away his identity; it was blocked. Cocky sonuva...he was playing power games.

"Just how is it you know I want a vase, Manitoba? I don't recall asking you."

"As your assistant will no doubt confirm shortly, I am a paralegal in the law office of Jenkins and Gooden. We have handled many cases for the Circle. This has put me in the position of being able to obtain information, which I would like to use to supplement my modest salary. As to how I have become aware of your interest, let's just say, your questions have not gone unnoticed by the Circle. I also know you are nowhere near to finding the vase. My price is not inexpensive, but not unreasonable. Are you interested?"

"And you are willing to violate your clients' confidentiality? Why should that make me more likely to trust you?"

"Ahh, but you see, I'm neither a lawyer, bound by confidentiality, nor is this information something that was confided to me. It is something I was fortunate enough to overhear, thanks to having the foresight to capture a conversation with a listening device. And I have no illusions, Mr. Dacy, that you trust me in the slightest. However, I do have an idea what this vase is worth to your employer. Your goal is to recover it, is it not? You may not trust me, but you can rest assured, this is not an arrangement I want to destroy, when I have gone to great pains to establish my access to information. This is something I see as a way to raise my own income. And, if it happens to hurt the Circle, so much the better. What you get out of it is a happy client, who gets his vase back. Everyone comes out ahead, except for the Circle. Would that upset you?"

"Naturally, that would be quite...a good outcome." Oh, this guy was smooth. He'd covered all the angles. He was also apparently unencumbered with any ethics, as dubious as confidentiality to a criminal or law firm was, as far as ethics went. If he was to be believed, he'd planned to use his position to sell what information he could get, from early on. What a slimeball. He might just become a valuable source; he could also be bait for a trap. Trick wasn't happy with weasels who had all the angles covered. Weasels usually didn't plan that well. But, he also couldn't afford to ignore the possibility that it was a real lead. "What would this information cost me?"

"$5,000."

Trick let out a low whistle. "What makes you think I can pay that kind of dough? My informants never get that much money. Hell, I rarely see that much money, and that's for a whole case!"

"Given the value of that vase, I have no doubt your client would be willing to pay. And, Mr. Dacy, this IS your whole case."

"There is the possibility he would pay, yes," said Trick, trying to unclench his jaw. "But he's not going to pay money like that unless recovering the vase is a done deal."

"Understandable. I'd be willing to give you the information for a down payment, of, say, 10%, in the interest of developing a more trusting relationship for future business. It's in my best interest to do so, after all."

Trick sighed. This was going to cost him, and he still wasn't sure he wasn't buying himself a nice trap. "$200. That's all I can lay hands on until I lay hands on the vase."

"I will trust that you are a man of honor, Mr. Dacy. We have an agreement, then. Meet me at Tabitha Fabish's on Justice Road, in Independence Port. I will be waiting. Time is of the essence."

"How will I know you?"

"You won't. You, however, are unmistakable."

Trick had barely put his phone away when it buzzed again. He checked the caller. This would be Dacy.

"Hey, whatcha got for me, Doll?"

"Not a lot. Our Mr. Manitoba isn't what you'd call a public personality. No public phone listing, no address, and the cell's a throwaway. Employment records list him as a paralegal at Jenkins.."

"..And Gooden," Trick finished for her. "So, our rat checks out, hmm? At least, we know what he told me matches with the quickly available facts. Not exactly a surprise, that." He grew silent for a moment, as he mulled things over. "I don't have a lot of options. I'm meeting him. And hoping for the best."

"I don't like this, Trick. Please be careful."

"What's to like?" Trick chuckled, "It stinks. And don't worry, I always am. If you've found all you can on him in the public records, give a call over to Danny in Precinct 12, and see what he can dig up."

"Already tried him, Boss, he's off tonight. And Brady was tied up, couldn't be reached."

Trick swore creatively under his breath. "Then try Lee in 7. Or Roger in 8."

"Will do. Count on me, Boss. Where are you meeting Manitoba?"

"That medium's magic shop in IP. I'm almost there now." Trick thought he heard some words muttered that he'd not suspected Dacy knew, but they were too faint and indistinct to catch. Trick's mouth quirked upwards involuntarily. "I'll update you after I meet with him."

Well, crap! Trick thought as he surveyed the situation. It's just never simple, is it.

Trick pulled back a little farther into the shadows that were hiding him, and dug out his cell for his fourth conversation of the evening with Dacy. Good thing she never asked for overtime pay, or this evening would be breaking him. She was a good kid; he'd really lucked out that the one and only answer to his ad had not only been competent, but even eager. It was nice to have her backing him up, handling the paperwork and research so he could enjoy the part of detective work that he loved so much. Trick grinned, a disarmingly boyish grin that transformed his face from the stern expression he'd carefully schooled himself to wear. He was closing in on them! Time to get the show on the road. He sent the call.

"Trick? Thank God, I was getting worried. It's been over two hours since you told me Manitoba had told you where the vase was! I mean, I know you were gonna follow him and stuff, but, jeez, give a girl a call, huh?" Okay, this was the downside of having an assistant. Last thing he had wanted was some skirt needing to know where he was all the time. Still, his conscience couldn't totally brush off his pang of guilt; he was in a dangerous situation, and it had been a while.

"Yeah, I know, sorry. It took a while to double back around and tail Manny, and then..."

"Manny? Oh, Manitoba?"

"Yeah." Trick smiled to himself, recalling the irritation that had flickered on Manitoba's face when he'd called him "Manny". First crack he'd seen in his rather cool act. Smug scumbag. "I was hoping to see who he'd get in contact with, see if I could figure out who got nervous because I was sniffing around, if it was a set up. But, I lost him," Trick said, his voice betraying the annoyance he felt at this.

"Oh, no! So, you still don't know if he's on the level, or it's a trap?"

"Getting to that. I decided, rather than waste time on looking for Manny, I had better go check out the warehouse he'd pointed me to. He'd made it clear that this was a temporary holding place for the vase, that the Circle had plans to move it soon. As in, any time now. I'd hate to lose what could be my only chance at getting it back, tailing a rat who may or may not lead me anywhere. So, I went to check it out. It took me a while, nosing around for traps and patrols and such, to get to it, but...Dacy, the vase is here!"

"Oh!" Dacy put a world of feeling into that one sound. "So, you did it! And he was telling the truth!" She sounded almost giddy with relief.

"Nope, not done yet. Vase is locked down with magical enchantments and who knows what all, and is probably booby trapped. Jury's still out on whether or not Manitoba meant me harm or good," Trick said cheerfully. "Doesn't matter. I'm not stupid enough to waltz in there all by myself so I can single-handedly recover Solomon's vase for him. I know when to call in the cavalry. So, if it was a set up, and they expected me to see the vase and throw caution to the winds, I guess I'm a disappointment. The important thing is, the vase is here. Now we gotta get it out of there."

"What do you need me to do?" There was an edge of fear back in Dacy's voice. Good. She was thinking.

"First, call M.A.G.I., see if there is anything they got that could help with these traps, and see if maybe they have a hero or two they could throw this way. As soon as possible. Just because the place isn't crawling with Circle goons now, doesn't mean it won't be soon. Second, call Solomon and let him know what's up. He's got some resources that could be handy right now, I'm pretty sure, and I'll need that money for Manitoba."

"Check. You want me to call the guys at the precinct?"

"No! First off, they need a warrant to get in here, and believe me, if they could even get it, that would slow things down too much. Second of all... this is not exactly something that can be done with a police squad. They come in here, it could get ugly, fast. I think the situation can be finessed...providing M.A.G.I. can pony up."

"Consider it done, Boss. You just hang on, I'll get whatever it'll take there to help you," Dacy promised fervently.

"I'll be here, Doll." Trick ended the phone call and slipped the phone back in his pocket, wishing that he was as confident as he sounded.

Dacy hung up the phone and sat back. This was the hard part. Waiting. Her fingers drummed nervously on the desk, unnoticed. She really hated waiting, but there was nothing left for her to do. She'd called M.A.G.I., also known as the Modern Arcane Guild of Investigation; she was quite grateful they seemed to keep someone available at all hours, because it was hours past being a reasonable time to be open. They did, indeed have a way to help with the enchantments that surrounded the vase, but apparently, it wasn't something they could let just anyone handle. Dacy's quick offer to run the item from their office over to Trick was met with a polite demurral. They were putting out a request for help with the mission through their contacts with the heroic community; they were sure someone would be along to help shortly, and it would be far safer, they said. Dacy chafed, but could hardly argue. Then, she called Solomon. He was quite pleased to hear the vase had been located, seemed to be understanding of the fact that it was not, in fact, in their possession yet, and quite possibly was mobilizing his forces to help things along. He'd managed to leave her with that impression without actually specifying. Solomon liked to play things close to the vest. You only got to know what he wanted you to know. Dacy had a grudging admiration for this. She was all too likely to tell someone more than they wanted to know; something she had to be careful of, working for a detective. She'd pressed Solomon as far as she dared, and still knew next to nothing. Which, wasn't helping her nerves, not at all.

The phone rang, shattering the last of her nerves. She grabbed the receiver quickly, almost dropping the phone again in her haste.

"Hello?" She didn't bother identifying herself or the agency. This time of night, no one but those involved in tonight's drama would be calling.

"Ms. Davis? This is Azuria, over at M.A.G.I.. I did want to tell you, we put out a request for help, and it looks like that has been accepted by a hero, who should be there shortly. However, there was something rather disturbing. One of our clairvoyants has had a sending. Perhaps you are aware that precognition is an unreliable skill, and not terrible specific at times, but I thought you should hear about it anyway." Dacy's heart seemed to be beating awfully loudly. "She sensed that Mr. Dacy was in great danger. In fact, she sensed...death. And treachery."

Dacy felt faint. Her own voice sounded far away. "How...what can I do?"

"Please get in contact with Mr. Dacy immediately. This clairvoyant...she isn't able to see far. There isn't much time. If the reading is true."

Far away somewhere, the phone clicked and went dead.

Find out what happens next in the rest of the story,

The Fight Begins.docx

-Dacy

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dacy said:

I would dearly love to hear if anyone actually does download and read it. 🙂

-Dacy

I like reading the little installments here. I'm a bit overwhelmed at the number of pages, but I think I might have time to read the whole thing this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes!

• Like 2

@Dacy I have read it.

I'm on my second read through now.

In short, I think it is excellent. zb7XgP0P_o.png

If this was a book I'd have quickly purchased it

and would most likely be clamoring for a sequel by now.

-------------

As for the above, good on you for your redress, apology accepted and no worries.

We've all had days like that.

On 11/4/2019 at 7:07 PM, Dacy said:

And, speaking of self-deprecating, you may say you have an "uninformed opinion", but your grammar and word skills are clearly of a very high order, which lends your opinion a great deal of credence to me.

Thank you, that is very kind. zb7XgP0P_o.png

On 11/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, Dacy said:

All I know is, he’s very good at grammar and spotting errors. He’d make an excellent copy editor, at the very least. 

Thanks... I think? 07K1tHnz_o.png

---------------

@DJ1 If we are talking Ratt I am definitely more of a "Way Cool Jr." than "Lay it Down" rs4wmRnk_o.gif

and that was actually somewhat polite on your part. **/e claphands**

On 11/5/2019 at 2:27 AM, DJ1 said:

I bet you got CR pegged too he probably is a writer or english teacher or something and just wont say it HA! :p   

No dice suckaaah! 

Not only am I not an English teacher or writer,

English wasn't even my first language. 07K1tHnz_o.png

----------------

@Midnight Blue Mage I like it, smaller more

manageable chunks and a teaser are good ideas. zb7XgP0P_o.png

• Haha 1

07K1tHnz_o.png